Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm helping my friend with his new Sandy Bridge rig, and can't really decide what GPU to go with. And yes, I will wait until the GTX 560 is released just in case it's within price range for SLI.

I'm thinking either:
1x GTX 570
2x GTX 460
2x 6850

Rig he's getting:
i7 2600K
Asus P8P67 PRO
Corsair 4GB 1600MHz XMS3
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Corsair H70 CPU
Corsair SSD Force Series 60GB
Cooler Master HAF 932
EDIT: forgot the PSU, it's a Fractal Design 650W

What do you think he should go with? Got any other comments on the rig?
He's going to use it mostly for games, but also everyday usage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom
View Post

Either 2600K or 2500K is fine. I think it looks good but may bring the PSU up if he doesn't have one. Here is link shown some number among of them. Hope this helps.

Forgot the PSU in OP, edited!

Thanks for the link, will look into it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cee
View Post

Get 1 x 570 and change PSU for something better.
Just my way of thinking.

Care to reason? Fractal Design is a very good brand.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
While 460's are now considered "old tech" to many here
Check out this article comparing 460 SLI to a single 580. The put up a good fight and now for the price they are hard to beat....

·
Banned
207 Posts
Buying two lesser cards to SLI in favor of a more powerful single card is not a very financially sound decision. The lesser cards are there for us poor people to buy.
(This is my general reasoning...) So it's better to buy one powerful card now and save up to SLI two of that card. It's bound to bring a greater bout of happiness in the future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If he gets himself a GTX 570, he will never get another one to SLI it, just mentioning
That's why I'm not sure what he should get.

·
Banned
207 Posts
If he has no chance of getting another 570 and SLIing two of them, then wait for the 560s to appear. They're the better options at this point.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qosmio
View Post

Buying two lesser cards to SLI in favor of a more powerful single card is not a very financially sound decision. The lesser cards are there for us poor people to buy.
(This is my general reasoning...) So it's better to buy one powerful card now and save up to SLI two of that card. It's bound to bring a greater bout of happiness in the future.

Disagree. When you start off with one big card thats often where you stay as by the time you start to feel its age and want more performance the new series of cards is out and you start again.

2 lesser cards like 6850's/ gtx460's are cheaper (at least in my country) than a single 570, 6950 etc and they outperform any single card.

IMO they make good financial sense. Your rig will perform better for longer at same or less dollars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, but I'm in Sweden, too much of a hazzle

But still, should I go with 460's or 6850's?

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
460's scale amazingly well in SLI - up to 106% if I remember correctly, but usually around 90%. Let me find the link....

Edit: Here is a Tom's review with a single and SLI 460 - some are near or exceed 100%

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by profit8652;12055735
i got my 460's for 225 shipped and i have the 3rd on the way for phsyx/folding 315 for all 3 engtx 460 tops. i would consider letting a pair go pm me

http://3dmark.com/results
this is just two!!

http://3dmark.com/3dmv/2865901
for some reason it doesn't approve the new nvidia drivers :/
Nevermind.. for some reason thought it was 3D Mark11..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts