Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
there is probably a very simple answer but i cant work it out,so if nvidia claim their 460 chips can run at 800mhz all day, samsung ddr5 memory chips are built to run at 1000mhz and the gtx 460 runs as cool as a snowman's knob why are these cards being shipped with low speeds.I am not complaining about the speed of the card because i am very happy with my gainward gs and i am also happy that it runs at gainward gs GLH speeds without breaking a sweat, i just get the feeling i am not seeing the whole picture.
thanxs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,038 Posts
Four reasons:

1) So their partners can make higher-profit-margin Overclocked models,
2) So that they don't undercut sales of the higher end models too much,
3) Because they didn't need to make reference clocks any higher for the price point they're trying to hit, relative to the perf of the main competitors cards, and
4) Lower clocks helps keep the reliability higher (and hence less cards replaced on warranty)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by kyle2194
View Post

The 460 runs at 800mhz core, and the memory runs at 1000mhz.

i thought ref models run at 675mhz (GPU) and 900mhz (MEM)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Four reasons:

1) So their partners can make higher-profit-margin Overclocked models,
2) So that they don't undercut sales of the higher end models too much,
3) Because they didn't need to make reference clocks any higher for the price point they're trying to hit, relative to the perf of the main competitors cards, and
4) Lower clocks helps keep the reliability higher (and hence less cards replaced on warranty)

5) Because it makes the 465 and 470 look like a waste of money if they clock it high
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Four reasons:

1) So their partners can make higher-profit-margin Overclocked models,
2) So that they don't undercut sales of the higher end models too much,
3) Because they didn't need to make reference clocks any higher for the price point they're trying to hit, relative to the perf of the main competitors cards, and
4) Lower clocks helps keep the reliability higher (and hence less cards replaced on warranty)

thank you, i knew i was missing something, strange they don't lock the clock speed don't you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by PatSharp
View Post

5) Because it makes the 465 and 470 look like a waste of money if they clock it high

I think they done just by releasing the 460 in the first place
 

·
Fortnite Fanatic
Joined
·
2,906 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by wobbly
View Post

I think they done just by releasing the 460 in the first place


I think that's what the single SLI dongle is for.


I wonder what percentage of buyers actually know they can overclock their cards?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,365 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Draygonn
View Post

I think that's what the single SLI dongle is for.


I wonder what percentage of buyers actually know they can overclock their cards?

most people think they need to pay $130 for geek squad to set up their PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kora04 View Post
most people think they need to pay $130 for geek squad to set up their PS3.
What? Serious? People can't be THAT stupid? Right?!
Anyways. The idiot 470s are crap. Not as terrible as the 465 *** where they thinking with that one. 480's only if you sli. Gtx460 all the way baby. 1 is enough, but pop in two and from EVERY benchmark they beat the 480 and any of ATI/AMDs current cards, even in crossfire (besides 5870s). On one benchmark they compared multiple games and 3DMark (plus vantage) benchmarks to show that in some cases the the 460s won against 5970 but the 5970 won marginally in others. Well thanks for that I'll just save my money here and get sli for $420. Save me from spending another $200 to get a 5970. Lol whut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post
What? Serious? People can't be THAT stupid? Right?!
Anyways. The idiot 470s are crap. Not as terrible as the 465 *** where they thinking with that one. 480's only if you sli. Gtx460 all the way baby. 1 is enough, but pop in two and from EVERY benchmark they beat the 480 and any of ATI/AMDs current cards, even in crossfire (besides 5870s). On one benchmark they compared multiple games and 3DMark (plus vantage) benchmarks to show that in some cases the the 460s won against 5970 but the 5970 won marginally in others. Well thanks for that I'll just save my money here and get sli for $420. Save me from spending another $200 to get a 5970. Lol whut
I like the 460 a lot, but my god with the fanboys lately. I'll take a single strong GPU over multiple GPU's anyday. The 470 is also a lot faster clock vs. clock than a 460, so not seeing how they're "crap".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
i agree with droogie. the 470 is the perfect single card config to have atm. its not to expensive kills in sli and does actually run at a decent heat level. the 480 is just a gimick atm. to hot and to expensive. once a revision comes out it might be better.
and they can run at that all day but dont need to. it kills the competition in its price points
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
470 is a lot faster clock vs. clock than the 460.
^^^ for sure. I have both 460 and 470; both oc'd 800Mhz. Pants down 470 wins every comparative test; don't forget also got more ram with faster bandwidth.
There is definitly one test the 470 get annhiliated by the 460 : bang-for-buck. The extra ~$100+ is big dollar margin compared to the gains in benchmark tests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Th0m0_202 View Post
i agree with droogie. the 470 is the perfect single card config to have atm. its not to expensive kills in sli and does actually run at a decent heat level. the 480 is just a gimick atm. to hot and to expensive. once a revision comes out it might be better.
Eh, I don't know about that. The 480 is a beast. They're expensive, but that's the price of the most powerful GPU out there. I'm happy with my 470, and with the Twin Frozr II cooler on it, it rarely even sees 70c in games. I was considering going dual MSI 1gb Cyclones before I bought this card. Now I'll be running sli 470's soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Th0m0_202 View Post
sli 470's=win! it is a beast but then the power/heat/price make it not worth buying in my books. unless you have w/c.
Eh, W/C isn't necessary. There are nice non-reference cooling solutions for the 480. The Sparkle Caliber is real nice, as is the upcoming MSI Lightning 480.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
I like the 460 a lot, but my god with the fanboys lately. I'll take a single strong GPU over multiple GPU's anyday. The 470 is also a lot faster clock vs. clock than a 460, so not seeing how they're "crap".
fanboy? I would much rather take a sapphire toxic edition 5850 vs a 470. I would also rather take a 5870 vs a 480. Thanks bro. I merely say that if you have the kind of money for a 480, just sli a 460. But a 470 with its power and heat consumption are terrible compared to 5850s. The GF100's are crap boards. I would much rather tri sli a gtx 480. but with that money why not quad xfire 2 5970's? scaling is supposedly phenomenal. well I'll never know, I'm sitting here with my sli 460's feeling awesome owning the best cards in the market (the most worth it cards). Yeah I'd say I'm pretty happy. Oh while I'm at it, the 5830 is a load of crap. 5770 > 5830's imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post
fanboy? I would much rather take a sapphire toxic edition 5850 vs a 470. I would also rather take a 5870 vs a 480. Thanks bro. I merely say that if you have the kind of money for a 480, just sli a 460. But a 470 with its power and heat consumption are terrible compared to 5850s. The GF100's are crap boards. I would much rather tri sli a gtx 480. but with that money why not quad xfire 2 5970's? scaling is supposedly phenomenal. well I'll never know, I'm sitting here with my sli 460's feeling awesome owning the best cards in the market (the most worth it cards). Yeah I'd say I'm pretty happy. Oh while I'm at it, the 5830 is a load of crap. 5770 > 5830's imo.
Power and heat are heavily exaggerated. The only time power will matter is I'd you fold 24/7 or something. As for heat, my card rarely ever goes past 70c. The 470 is trading blows with the 5870 with the latest drivers, so I'd take it over a 5850 anyday. Sli scaling is also far better right now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,038 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by PatSharp
View Post

5) Because it makes the 465 and 470 look like a waste of money if they clock it high

That was #2
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top