Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had the minihdmi to hdmi to my receiver and then out into my monitor..except I can only change resolutions to the 'native' display of the monitor and no in betweens.

So here's what I am trying to do..I got the dvi connector connected to my monitor now..and the mini hdmi to hdmi to my receiver for the audio

Here's the problem;

As soon as I connected the hdmi to the back of the GPU the screen goes black..the sound comes on....but all I can see is my desktop background and no OS...(wierd!!!)

Is there an option somewhere that can prevent this??...will it not work?...gah!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this same problem when I first got my receiver. For some reason the GPU acts weird when switching from a receiver to a LCD.

Are you trying to clone the desktop to both monitors at the same time? Or just switch between the two when you need to?

Try running the mini HDMI - HDMI cable to your TV directly, and than if you have an S'PDIF cable run that from your sound card to the receiver.

The problem with the GPU -> Receiver -> TV setup, is that sometimes the GPU can't tell if the receiver is connected to a TV, causing weird problems with the display. I've gone through this to, and the setup I mentioned above works great.

The only issue is that S'PDIF only carries Stereo and pre-encoded audio (Such as a DVD or Blu Ray with 5.1/7.1) to the receiver, although your sound card might support encoding on the fly for your games.

If your not getting 7.1 with your games with the S'PDIF connected to your soundcard and receiver, try using analog cables to connect the two.

Edit - Is that your receiver under "Sound Card" in your sig? If so, and you actually don't have a sound card, than just run an S'PDIF cable from your motherboard to receiver if it supports it.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warburg View Post
I had this same problem when I first got my receiver. For some reason the GPU acts weird when switching from a receiver to a LCD.

Are you trying to clone the desktop to both monitors at the same time? Or just switch between the two when you need to?

Try running the mini HDMI - HDMI cable to your TV directly, and than if you have an S'PDIF cable run that from your sound card to the receiver.

The problem with the GPU -> Receiver -> TV setup, is that sometimes the GPU can't tell if the receiver is connected to a TV, causing weird problems with the display. I've gone through this to, and the setup I mentioned above works great.

The only issue is that S'PDIF only carries Stereo and pre-encoded audio (Such as a DVD or Blu Ray with 5.1/7.1) to the receiver, although your sound card might support encoding on the fly for your games.

If your not getting 7.1 with your games with the S'PDIF connected to your soundcard and receiver, try using analog cables to connect the two.

Edit - Is that your receiver under "Sound Card" in your sig? If so, and you actually don't have a sound card, than just run an S'PDIF cable from your motherboard if it supports it.
I get 5.1 out of my S'PDIF output into my amp.....

and it works great... it is how i connect up my media centre to the main TV/AMP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
I get 5.1 out of my S'PDIF output into my amp.....

and it works great... it is how i connect up my media centre to the main TV/AMP

Yeah, you get 5.1 with Dvd's/Blu Rays that have pre-encoded audio as I mentioned.

S'PDIF carries raw audio to the receiver, so movies that have 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks are carried to the receiver. However, games do not have pre-encoded audio, and thus, you only get Stereo.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
soz... i forgot to mention i use "Sound Blaster X-Fi MB"... it emulates a X-Fi... which allows you to play games with 5.1 over S'PDIF....

that or you can get a real dedicated card....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts