Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to fix this problem but nothing has helped. This occurs to my sig rig.

Shortly after entering the logon password to windows and windows boots up both of my dual monitors go black. This is a no signal black. Both monitors display no signal. This usually occurs about 1-2min after starting up windows however it can occasionally occur hours after turning on the computer and usually during or right after gaming.

After the monitors go dark I can't do anything to get video again unless I reboot. I know the computer is still working because I was playing music once and I could still hear it after my monitors blacked out.

I'm not sure what the problem is but it started happening soon after getting and inserting my GTS 250 as a physx card. I have to place it right next to the 470 because there is not enough room in my case. I have already tried removing and replacing the 470, switching out pcie power pins and the like. Nothing has worked

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
It almost sounds like the problem people get with both ati/nvidia where their screens go blank, come back on and they get the message saying, "Display drivers have failed but have restarted, blah blah blah" Only in your case, the problem might be so severe that they don't recover.

Either way, I would take out the gtx 250 and see what happens first and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

It almost sounds like the problem people get with both ati/nvidia where their screens go blank, come back on and they get the message saying, "Display drivers have failed but have restarted, blah blah blah" Only in your case, the problem might be so severe that they don't recover.

Either way, I would take out the gtx 250 and see what happens first and then go from there.

Tried it, didn't work. Also I noticed that the GPU fan isn't working properly. My temps are hitting 82C and afterburner says the fan is at 90% which is not true based on the lack of sound coming from the fan. I'm not sure what the problem is but it may be shutting off due to heat?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel -X View Post
Have you tried reinstalling nvidia drivers,

Booting in safe mode perhaps?
yes, twice. i ran driver sweeper to clean out the old drivers too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kand View Post
Rma?
this only if all else fails. the 470 is my only graphics card and i dont wanna put my computer out of commission for 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel -X
View Post

hmm, perhaps reinstall windows?

Does the problem persist when the GTS250 aswell, when it is the primary card, or just the 470?

i took the primary card out to isolate the problem or to see if it persist and yes it still persists.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hello, wontonforevuh

I have been talking to two different people about this very issue. However
both systems are ones i built. One is a socket 775 platform and other is an i7.
They both have one thing in common overclocked CPU's. Does this have anything to do with it? I am not sure yet, but i did Google "470 gtx black screen sometimes" and found this thread along with others saying the same thing. It definitely seems random at best and all report i have received are that the user can hit the power button and the system will shutdown. Also in doing this both have reported seeing the shutdown screen. This makes me think a driver issue or some kinda of card crazyness. At any rate you are not alone and i suspect this to be a growing trend.

I do see in your sig you are also overclocked, by chance can you tell me if you have your pci-e frequency @ 100 or higher? Was just curious.

Thanks and i hope to have something more to contribute in the future.

·
Registered
988 Posts
grunion

Good to hear you got yours corrected. You refer to the 480 gtx, where i believe the OP has a 470. I know the difference isn't very big but now makes me wonder just what cards are affected. I have been hesitant to tell my contacts to just RMA their cards. I would hate for it to be a lottery of luck and not get a card that does the same thing.

Here is a relevant link to evga forums and they are talking about same issue but it appears to be only 470's mentioned.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?h...379371&mpage=1

grunion, can you give more details about your experience?
Did you only have 1 card at the time, and replace it with only one card?
Your sig indicates SLI is why i ask. Did you move the 480's around if you went to SLI instead of single replacement?

I will be glad to suggest for my contacts to replace thier cards if i can get a bit more proof to backup the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlyDNA
View Post

grunion

Good to hear you got yours corrected. You refer to the 480 gtx, where i believe the OP has a 470. I know the difference isn't very big but now makes me wonder just what cards are affected. I have been hesitant to tell my contacts to just RMA their cards. I would hate for it to be a lottery of luck and not get a card that does the same thing.

Here is a relevant link to evga forums and they are talking about same issue but it appears to be only 470's mentioned.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?h...379371&mpage=1

grunion, can you give more details about your experience?
Did you only have 1 card at the time, and replace it with only one card?
Your sig indicates SLI is why i ask. Did you move the 480's around if you went to SLI instead of single replacement?

I will be glad to suggest for my contacts to replace thier cards if i can get a bit more proof to backup the suggestion.

Was running single at the time.
Random black screens, 2 different systems.
Sometimes no post, 3+1 beeps, other times 2 minutes into desktop, other times, gaming, crunching, browsing..Random

I take it none of your contacts can try the card in another system?

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadlyDNA
View Post

Hello, wontonforevuh

I have been talking to two different people about this very issue. However
both systems are ones i built. One is a socket 775 platform and other is an i7.
They both have one thing in common overclocked CPU's. Does this have anything to do with it? I am not sure yet, but i did Google "470 gtx black screen sometimes" and found this thread along with others saying the same thing. It definitely seems random at best and all report i have received are that the user can hit the power button and the system will shutdown. Also in doing this both have reported seeing the shutdown screen. This makes me think a driver issue or some kinda of card crazyness. At any rate you are not alone and i suspect this to be a growing trend.

I do see in your sig you are also overclocked, by chance can you tell me if you have your pci-e frequency @ 100 or higher? Was just curious.

Thanks and i hope to have something more to contribute in the future.

both my cpu and gpu are overclocked. i never suspected that my OC'd cpu might be a culprit. i just put the 470 back to stock settings.

and how do you check pcie frequency. in bios?

anyways i submitted an rma ticket to evga. im still not sure whether or not i want to put my system out for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hello, wontonforevuh

Bios yes, Most boards have it in Bios somewhere. I looked in your user guide manual for yours. It was confusing but i think it is under your tweaker menus, or somewhere near overclock settings like Base clock freq. At any rate if you are unsure and never changed it, it should default to 100 which is standard.

Not that it is even related i was just curious. Most people don't change it until they reach 200-220+ base clock speeds.

I am still running a 295 gtx, i was considering a 470 or 480 but i am going to hold out a bit. That being said i have no way to work on the issue directly only talk about it between my contacts.

I am unsure about the RMA route myself. I know grunion resolved his with an RMA, but veiwing his problems he had seemed a bit more than what i have been told by my contacts.

MY hope is that others will have a place to post here and maybe find more about it.

wontonforevuh,
By chance have you experienced any artifacts, beeps or related issues with your blackouts aside from what you have brought already to the table on this thread?

·
Registered
936 Posts
this happen to me once in awhile before and after i OC my CPU so i dont think its OC Cpu related theres something wrong in gtx 470 sometimes my graphic fan would failed when i check afterburner. so i dont know i might return my card next week. im tired of this random error.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wontonforevuh View Post
Also, sometimes after the screens go dark and I turn the comp off then back on, on the windows logon screen it will artifact.
had the same thing once. it might be a driver problem. these drivers are still immature.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts