Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I started to OC my card yesterday, I'm using 257.21 WHQL drivers. I'm using MSI Afterburner to OC it, and I've only done the core/shader. I'm using Kombustor (20 mins test) and Crysis Benchmark (4 loops/high) to test each OC.

625 was okay @ 1000mv
650 was okay @ 1000mv
675 was okay @ 1000mv
700 I left my computer running Kombustor and walked my dog and when I got back my computer was off. Not restarted, just completely off.

No other OC's on my system. Just the core on my GPU, so what does that mean? Does it need more volts? Something else wrong?

Oh and the card never reached over 80 degrees. 75-78 mostly @ 99% usage.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Probably need to bump the volts up. Weird how it was completely off though - usually I just get a beige coloured screen if it isn't stable.

Don't worry about the temps either - I load at 94 on 75% fan on furmark.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it's not dead. I just turn it back on and it worked fine, just dropped it back down to 675 and I started folding. It was folding all night and this morning before I left it was still folding going strong.

(From 607 core to 675, I gained 1000PPD
)

I thought it was weird that it was completely off as well. I thought the driver would crash or I would lock up. I guess Ill try to bump up the volts a bit and test it when I get home... how much should I bump the volts? Like what are the normal increments to bump up the 470?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN!
View Post

No it's not dead. I just turn it back on and it worked fine, just dropped it back down to 675 and I started folding. It was folding all night and this morning before I left it was still folding going strong.

)

I thought it was weird that it was completely off as well. I thought the driver would crash or I would lock up. I guess Ill try to bump up the volts a bit and test it when I get home... how much should I bump the volts? Like what are the normal increments to bump up the 470?

Kinda hard to say what is "normal" for the GTX 4xx cards beings it seems they are all different....kinda like CPU's. When I was on a single 470, I ran fine at 750 core at .96v. But with SLI, I could run some benchmarks fine at 750 core with .96v, but get lockups in games. You just need to play with it and if it doesnt work, bump up the voltage a notch or two and try again.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN! View Post

)

If the temps are fine I'd just put it up to 1.087 and then keep overclocking until its not stable. Usually the drivers stop responding and recover or you just get a coloured screen if its not stable, but as long as it works fine after turning off like that it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have the same card as OP and it runs fine @stock voltages with a 750 core clock. Benching it now, no artifacts as of yet.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Nothings overheating is it?

If not, only thing I'd say would be your PSU isn't liking it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kRze.baLLiN! View Post
any opinions?
Lol, ya use an artifact scanner.

OC SCAN
OCCT
ATI/GPU Tool

(I prefer occt)

Any of those programs will tell you if your OC is stable in less than 5 minutes, and they'll do it accurately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts