Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Thinking about going trisli on my sig rig and I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how much power OC'd GTX 470's consume on average. Currently running both my current cards at 1.087 with speeds of 800/1600/975.

From what I've seen from most oc'd cards can pull about 75-100 extra watts so if i went trisli I would have to upgrade my psu or keep them all at stock.

Also could someone suggest a good product to measure power consumption at the wall/socket so I can just measure it that way?

Thanks!
Lampen

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Kill-A-Watt is a cheap tool to measure power consumption at the wall. You multiply the measurement by .85 to find roughly what you're actually pulling DC-wise inside the PC to compare with the output of the unit, since the rated output is DC, not the AC power draw.

OC'd cards don't pull an extra 75-100W, it's more like 25-50W unless you're like doing something extreme w/LN2 or the like.

I can pretty much guarantee you a Corsair 1KW can handle OC'd tri-SLI 470's and your OC'd i7. You may have to be conscious of how you run the PCI-Ex cables though since really that PSU is two 500W units (as I'm sure you know).

Also, TBH tri-SLI 470's is SOOO much power dude (not to mention a heat-sandwich). You really won't need to push them with high OC's and voltage to absolutely eat every game alive
I only have two of them and as you can see by my sig I don't really push them ... I just don't need to for anything except maybe Metro.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lampen

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brettjv,

Thanks for your input. Regarding the setup of my PCI-E cables do you have any suggestions on my arrangement?

Here's my current setup:

The nonmodular cables hat come with the power supply, 8 pin ATX/EPS, 24 pin mobo, and 2 x 6+2 PCI-E cords are connected to the motherboard and the 1st gtx 470. This is all on the first 500w unit. The other GTX 470 is powered by 2 x 6 pin cords on the other 500w unit.

If I added a third GTX 470 I assume the best course of action would be to connect it to the other 500W power supply unit that is only powering the other GTX 470?

Thanks for your input!

Lampen

Edit: Also as you said with Tri-SLI I would pretty much destroy every game except Metro so I would likely dial the cards back down a bit so they'll be a bit more headroom.

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
1000W is just right for Tri-Sli GTX470 as long as you never try to hit Furmark. Also my system pulls 515W form the wall which is 430W from PSU. Assuming my system takes 200W one GTX470 @ 1.087v takes 230W. 230*3 = 690+200 = 890W Furmark Load. Given that you have a Core i7 i would put it 950W SO you got 50W left not to mention you can go over the power of the PSU if it good. To me 100% you have to look @ 1200W units. This is because running you PSU at the limit is not very good and efficient.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lampen

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nascasho View Post
I idle at 290w, turn on Furmark and I draw 632w. You can do the math from there.
Wow something is going on both idle and load. I idle a 135W and load 515W. I know my Q9550 doesn't pull that much as Core i7 but not 115W less and not to mention Furmark doe not not load all cores but just 1.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
@Lampen

I don't mean to blow off your questions, but I really don't know that much about the pin-outs/rails on that PSU, I only know basically what I told you above, and I don't wanna just guess.

My inclination would be to agree w/your strategy ... putting two on the 2nd 500W unit, and one on the main unit with the CPU *seems* to make sense, but it's just a guess.

I would ask the same thing on the PSU forum, maybe Phaedra or Shinji or one of the real guru's of PSU's can tell you what is the most logical connection strategy for 3x470's w/an HX1000

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does this mean I can just forget getting a second 470 with my 750w? i do have another 360w tho...

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
From previous bench, reviews on the subject a whole system with CPU clocked at 4.0 w/ stock gpu speeds used around 800w at the wall at load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts