Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an EVGA GTX 480 and it is running idle at 60C with fans at 60%. I have read this has to do with using dual displays.

I have a spare quadro FX 570 (no extra power cables required) that I would like to use for the second display to lower temps. I am wondering how well the geforce and quadro drivers will work together. I have 3D vision as well so would like to know if anyone else has tried this and what type of potential issues may arise. I believe the FX 570 is equivalent to a 8600 GS so am guessing this wouldn't make a very good physx card.

Thank you for any assistance.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
No issues should arise when using a GTX 480 and quadro FX570 side by side in the same system. Although adding the FX570 will not lower your 480's idle temperatures very much especially considering your now adding another card within close proximity to the card your trying to keep cool. When you factor in mentionably higher idle and load power consumption I wonder if it is really worth your time and effort.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the plunge and installed the Quadro card in my 3rd slot. My GTX 480 stopped working until I installed the Quadro drivers then I had to re-install the higher version geforce drivers to get 3D vision working again. Everything seems to co-exist properly now.

Idle temps are around 43C (17C drop) with 40% fan speed on the GTX480 just from moving the 2nd monitor to the Quadro card. I can't believe how much of a difference that makes. Makes you think twice about dual displays on a fermi card. Now to wait for a Zalman or Arctic Cooler cooler to be available in Canada.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daykain
View Post

I took the plunge and installed the Quadro card in my 3rd slot. My GTX 480 stopped working until I installed the Quadro drivers then I had to re-install the higher version geforce drivers to get 3D vision working again. Everything seems to co-exist properly now.

Idle temps are around 43C (17C drop) with 40% fan speed on the GTX480 just from moving the 2nd monitor to the Quadro card. I can't believe how much of a difference that makes. Makes you think twice about dual displays on a fermi card. Now to wait for a Zalman or Arctic Cooler cooler to be available in Canada.

so u connected ur display to fx570
how are the games running/?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done much gaming yet but I am getting around 45 FPS in BFBC2 at 1680x1050 medium settings with 3D vision enabled, temps are low 70s with 80% fan. FPS would be almost double without 3d. Borderlands runs at 1920x1080 with max settings and 40-60 FPS, temps are high 60s - low 70s with ~80% fan (I have a stepping fan profile). I am using MSI afterburner to get the FPS. Quadro card doesn't seem to get used with Physx set to auto as temps hover in the low 40s. Not sure if this is normal or not FPS wise but it is definitely better than my GTX 275.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts