Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my zotac amp! gtx 480 today...and it is a beast, however in games like crysis, crysis warhead, and metro after like ten minutes of intense graphics the game will crash. My computer doesn't crash, the game just freezes and then the application crashes. The card hasn't gotten over 75c, due to the giant heatsink and fan, so i know thats not the issue. I'm worried it might be my power supply. I have a 700w thermaltake. I have the 6 pin and 8 pin directly wired so i didn't think there would be a problem. I have 5 hard drives, and 2 dvd drives, so i'm thinking maybe its all too much for my psu.
My psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153039
My new card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153039

thanks for reading and thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That 700 watt should be fine, i recall 480's being run on quality 650 watts, so theres not a problem there, what drivers are you using?

·
OG AMD
8,966 Posts
Do you have any HDD's connected to the same rails as your GPU? Might wanna try using those 2 rails just for the GPU.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
driver: 8.17.12.5896
it has a factory overclock but i just put it in, and the temps are looking fine. I haven't and don't plan on OCing it further

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
The graphics card could be faulty. Did you make sure it's plugged into a PCIe x16 slot?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'd say drivers actually, had that issue with the same games with my 480's at first, latest driver update resolved the issue.

Make sure you use something like Driver Sweeper to clean old drivers (everything Nvidia) and then reload the new ones.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicPie
View Post

The graphics card could be faulty. Did you make sure it's plugged into a PCIe x16 slot?

that wouldnt matter the fps between a x4 slot and x16 slot is like 5fps.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is there power consumption monitoring software that i could get?
if you read the reviews on the card on newegg, some people are having similar problems.

·
Premium Member
14,039 Posts
I would install Afterburner and use it to manually crank the fan up to 100% and see if the problem still happens. If it does still happen, then you can pretty much rule out heat being involved. If it goes away, then you know heat IS involved.

A lot of people seem to forget that when you look at the gpu temp, you are looking at the temp on ONE TINY SPOT on the gpu core itself. However there are many other parts of the video card that can get hot and cause problems, and with many of these parts, their temps cannot be monitored directly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts