Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by cravinmild here on OCN to use a traditional CPU cooler on a GPU. http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cooling/1086286-complete-build-log-zotac-560ti-corsair.html

So I decided to stuff two Antec 620's into my EVO case to cool my reference ZOTAC GTX 480's. It wasn't easy....but props to cravinmild for his help!

I wasn't able to get complete photos throughout the mod, But i did have a chance to take some today.

UPDATE: See here for IHS removal

First off the only thing removed is four screws that hold on the heatsink on the GTX 480 as shown here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/3/

geforce_gtx480_heatsink.jpg

Then mount the cooler with zip ties

dsc00580ea.jpg

dsc00579cj.jpg

dsc00576fn.jpg

Now there is no way the Rad is going to reach the front of the case so I had to stack 2 fans in series + and shroud to give me space.

dsc00577k.jpg

Both cards stuffed into the case

dsc00574j.jpg

dsc00573sa.jpg

The Rads had to me rotated to fit

dsc00584h.jpg

Mounted and secured

dsc00571zd.jpg

Done!

dsc00595ru.jpg

Have to say that it makes a huge difference not listening to the fans on these cards. I now have a virtually silent rig.
smile.gif

Updated benchies w/Heaven 2.5
thumb.gif

1564g1i.jpg

Latest set of benchies after I removed the IHS and strapped straight to the GPU Die!
Worklog here: http://www.overclock.net/forum/newestpost/1173936

Lows at 32c
Peaks at 47c

b2115a62_heavandirect2die.jpeg

******UPDATED******

Successful 900/1800/2200 Overclock with a couple a cheap $59 Antec 620's with temps topped out at 49c and the VRM Temps via fans sensor at 47c
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Fantastic stuff. Nice to see it worked out for you.

After doing these mods i cant go back to old school GPUs fans, far too loud.
Good pics, shows your gpu mod well, lol i didnt know you were going to do both of your cards cards.

Thanks for posting and lets see your benchies and overclocks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by superj1977;15284825
Is that piccy after you mounted the water cooler? im asking cos i see a temp hitting 79 degrees.
Yep, I noticed that to. Top one peaked at 79, bottom at 73. I did have them dialed in within 1c of each other but took the top one out to take the pictures of the mod. I have to try to reseat again and or possible tube crimping that is causing it.

It was with a modest overclock of 825/1650/2100 as well.

Best part was....no fan noise!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinmild;15284120
Fantastic stuff. Nice to see it worked out for you.

After doing these mods i cant go back to old school GPUs fans, far too loud.
Good pics, shows your gpu mod well, lol i didnt know you were going to do both of your cards cards.

Thanks for posting and lets see your benchies and overclocks.
Thanks, yeah I decided to do both after getting a second card from a chap here on OCN. $225 for a second card, same model as my first. Microcenter had the 620's on sale for $59 each.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What's cooling the VRMs/Memory though? Nice mod!
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen;15284989
What's cooling the VRMs/Memory though? Nice mod!
smile.gif
The stock fan is still connected and working to cool the VRM's. They also act as good alarms in case something happens with the 620's. At 100% rpms those things are like sirens. lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish there was more room between the cards because in the process of bending the tube at the base, i popped off a screw head that is on the side of the assembly.
frown.gif

dsc00574j.jpg

dsc00588i.jpg

dsc00589aw.jpg

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
That sucks man. Perhaps switching the tubing for the top GPU cooler would help with temps, seeing as the 90 degree angle things are hurting temps. You'll also be able to extend your coolers farther so it a win-win situation

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Good mod (+rep).

1) Have you tried doing a cross tying up of the zip ties? Perhaps this method will offer better contact pressure? See pic 1.

2) Is pic 2 below shows the current airflow? If so, the H50 is not going to be very happy.
Using the side panel fan as intake to feed air (for thermal dilution) to the H50 push fan might alleviate its unhappiness a little.

An alternate airflow pattern is shown in pic 3. This setup involves using PCI slot extractors/fans to remove those hot air.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire;15285674
Good mod (+rep).

1) Have you tried doing a cross tying up of the zip ties? Perhaps this method will offer better contact pressure? See pic 1.

2) Is pic 2 below shows the current airflow? If so, the H50 is not going to be very happy.
Using the side panel fan as intake to feed air (for thermal dilution) to the H50 push fan might alleviate its unhappiness a little.

An alternate airflow pattern is shown in pic 3. This setup involves using PCI slot extractors/fans to remove those hot air.
Thanks for the info!
The airflow is as in PIC 2.
The CPU typically peaks out at 55-57c at 3.6ghz OC stressed.
There is a side fan on the Tempest EVO as well.

dsc00602y.jpg

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfc;15286307
this is really cool no 900 core????
wink.gif
Farthest I got stable was 850. I haven't really pushed it pass that. Im only running an 850 watt PSU so im a bit nervous to push it more without a bigger PSU.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCactus;15350379
Really like this mod. Too bad about the fitting incident or whatever. I really don't like towers in general but that's a really nice case op.
Thanks! Yeah the case is pretty cool. I'm always tearing into it. lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas;15351484
that looks terrific, love the zip-ties
smile.gif
They seem to work well. In would be happier with mod if the fittings were different so I could keep the gpu cover on. Would make for a much cleaner look.

·
Initializing...
23,796 Posts
Great mod!

I would of never thought it would actually work nice work!

1 - 20 of 348 Posts