Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been reading many things about the 480, such as heat, noise, and power hungry. But I'm really wondering if the 480's really cost that much energy. I am doing a 480 sli rig now and just wanted to know if others who have similar build see a major increase in the energy bill. Thx!!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Depending on how long you use it, and how hard you push it. It won't be that much to run them, maybe $10/mo extra.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Unless you fold 24/7 or game WAY too much you're not going to notice it.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by c00lkatz View Post
Unless you fold 24/7 or game WAY too much you're not going to notice it.
This.

Trust me you will notice it if you fold 24/7 or play demanding games constantly.
Not sure how much of Metro, Crysis, Mafia you can endure...

I doubt you will notice the difference unless you do what I just mentioned.

PS. Just noticed its SLI, ok you will notice it just a bit more if you always kept an eye on your bill.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Well really it depends on what you're coming from. You say increase in energy bill, but you also don't say what you currently have. Going from a mediocre prebuilt PC to a full fledged SLI GTX480 gaming PC, yeah you're going to notice a little increase, but going from say a single GTX480 to SLI GTX480, no you won't notice much of an increase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I live in Indiana and I normally leave comp on for about 12 hrs a day and within that 12 hrs is about 6 hrs of gaming hope that help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris View Post
What CPU, GPU, PSU do you have now?
I use i7 950 oc 3.8 with a 1200w psi and evga gtx 480 stock

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
Fold or game intensively for 10-12 hours a day, EVERY DAY, constantly using up as much wattage as possible in that length of time and you will.

Other than that, you won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Dont pay the power bill
. But ya Like runing a 1 room AC Unit. but its a heater. Lol the one gpu was not under water. the one gpu was 45 deg other one was 92.
I under stand why water is good

·
Stock....
192 Posts
As everyone said, you wont notice the energy bill by adding a second 480 unless you fold or game 8+ hours a day.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,799 Posts
The only way you will really see an increase is if you plan to run it constantly at 100% load every day and all day. In the U.S. with an average of $0.07 per kwh folding 24/7 for 1 month with a tri sli setup running at 1500w will cost ~$75 per month, but seriously... who does that? idle will cost about ~$20 per month in that case. In your case you will probably see a $10 - $15 per month increase at most if you run it 24/7 at 100% load since you will only be running 1 480

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
funny thing is the guy only has one 480. are you planning on buying another one OP. if not why make this thread? just asking.

i think 2 480's for folding is going to increase your power bill but you already have a 1200wtt so there not much increase. remember to unplug unwanted appliances!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts