Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for my second gtx480 to arrive and I just want to make sure that I set it up properly. So uninstalling all my all drivers and installing both cards, I'm going to install all the drivers and I'm set right ? or do I have to install one card at a time, I've used crossfire before but have no experience with SLI.

Also will PhysX be automatically enabled or do I have to do it manually, and will both cards handle PhysX or will one of the cards be automatically assigned to handle all the PhysX ? I have a spare 8600gt but I don't think its gonna be much use for PhysX, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
take my advice and uninstall your antivirus (at least if you have a Norton product), then download and install your drivers, then after sli is achieved, re-install your antivirus.

I could not get sli (quad in my case) to work until I uninstalled Norton 360 then it was cake.

Before I uninstalled 360, I put it in silent mode and disabled it, but I guess it was still blocking some things because until I completely uninstalled it, quad sli was a no-go. after uninstall = easy pie

• Rep+
Reactions: Massive17

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Cram them both in, install drivers, restart, enable sli, choose physx card, I use auto select.

Thanks! Does having both enabled improve performance and is there a point of using my 8600gt for physX or is my 480 enough to handle it ?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'm not using the 8600.

Even though Nvidia recommends leaving room between the cards in order to improve cooling I was told over at the EVGA forums that the difference in temperature isn't big and I might as well have them next to each other. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
480's get hot. I would leave space between the 2.

Only a few games even use psysics, you could prolly do without the 8600 gt.

I have my 295's stacked on top of eachother but they're watercooled.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive17
View Post

I'm waiting for my second gtx480 to arrive and I just want to make sure that I set it up properly. So uninstalling all my all drivers and installing both cards, I'm going to install all the drivers and I'm set right ?

Correct.

Quote:

View Post

...or do I have to install one card at a time, I've used crossfire before but have no experience with SLI.

Nope. Both at once will be fine.

Quote:

View Post

Also will PhysX be automatically enabled or do I have to do it manually, and will both cards handle PhysX or will one of the cards be automatically assigned to handle all the PhysX ?

Physx is enabled by default on an nVidia-only system. The 480 is powerful enough to handle its own Physx calculations itself, so neither will be dedicated to the operation.

Quote:

View Post

I have a spare 8600gt but I don't think its gonna be much use for PhysX, what do you think?

The 480s are powerful enough not to require a dedicated physx card. Save the 8600 for a backup build or emergencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob808
View Post

480's get hot.

Depends on the build, of course. My cards idle at 45, 42, and 40 with 50% fan at 28 ambient.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd recommend finding the stock VID on both cards and putting the lower vid one in the top slot.

Having my .987v 480 in the top and my 1.038v one 3 slots down kept then at nearly identical temperatures at stock speeds.

When overclocking I didn't bother setting different voltages for each card and saw a 6 or 7 degree difference IIRC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts