Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, its another one of my "vs" threads. Now this ones tricky. As both GPUs aee high quality.

Which one should I get for THIS build. Not my sig rig:

http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=1138285

Which one would be better? Monitor is still 1440x900.

ALSO before you say "your monitor sucks you should have just one gtx 560 to. I want to futureproof my GPUs. Don't want to be in a hassle of buying new GPUs when I decide to get a 1080p monitor.

Please don't refer to my sig rig at all. I don't have that rig and will remove it soon.

Also how will performance compare with an i5-2500k sandy bridge?

Thanks!!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would go with a single GTX580, due to the fact that you could always add a second one. the GTX 560/560ti does not support TRI-SLI

·
Registered
453 Posts
This has been answered a million times...

560ti:
Pros - cheaper, better performance then a single 580 stock after OC
Cons - no upgrade path in the future, SLI is not 100% supported in all games, takes up 4-6 slots in your cpu

580:
Pros - better performance after OC, upgrade path in future for SLI, single fastest card out right now, uses less watts
Cons - Costs a little more (not by much)

Go with the 580.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop;15256204

560ti:
Cons - no upgrade path in the future, SLI is not 100% supported in all games, takes up 4-6 slots in your cpu

580:
Pros - better performance after OC, upgrade path in future for SLI, single fastest card out right now, uses less watts

Go with the 580.
this.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_47;15256177
I would go with a single GTX580, due to the fact that you could always add a second one. the GTX 560/560ti does not support TRI-SLI
For some people 560ti SLI would be more than enough to power games for a while, and by the time they would "need" 580sli equivalent power, it will be available in a cheaper, more power efficient, single card solution.

It's completely subjective though

·
Registered
23 Posts
A single GTX580 will blow away anything you will play now. I have one with my sig rig and I run everything maxed at 1920x1200. I have yet to play anything, BF3 included, that stressed my setup. I had a 560ti before this card, and the choice was hard for me as well, but after seeing a few recent games have SLI issues out of the box, I decided to play it safe rather than go for a bit of extra performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinomori;15256278
Actually, 2x 560ti's stock beat a 580 stock by about 20% on average.
I don't doubt that, but that's in a perfect setup where SLI is 100% supported and used, and power is not a concern. There are definitely situations where both shine. I don't consider myself savvy enough to troubleshoot SLI issues but I am sure they outperform my card when in the right setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmdiscoolerthenIntel;15256312
Why don't you just go 6950 and drop Nvidia. Be a pro for once
smile.gif
Maybe he wants to play Rage? ;P Lol just playing, my friend has the 6950 with an Eyefinity setup, and I am admittedly jealous sometimes, but Nvidia has always "just worked" for me.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idaveop;15256320
I don't doubt that, but that's in a perfect setup where SLI is 100% supported and used, and power is not a concern. There are definitely situations where both shine. I don't consider myself savvy enough to troubleshoot SLI issues but I am sure they outperform my card when in the right setup.
Indeed, but my post was not entirely directed at you, it was more directed at fstop, and his point that they need to be OC'd to beat a single 580
smile.gif

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
First I love these threads that compare two cards to one 580, speaks volumes on how much one 580 actually performs or highly thought of.

Two of anything over 560 or 6870's performance beats one 6970 or 580.

Two 550's or 6850's performance equals one 6970 or 580.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop;15256204

560ti:

580:

Go with the 580.
Good job explaining it fstop....quite simple. Depends on what your going to be using it for.

Now onto my opinion.....

I perfer single powerful card solution without any heat, driver, or SLI issues (micro stutter, etc) that might arise. Even if two cards can bring more FPS I don't need it. I can game ALL my games, Crysis, Crysis 2, Witcher 2, & Metro 2033 no problems. BF3 beta right now high settings I'm at 60-80 FPS.

Next gen I'll pass this card down and go with a GTX 680 most likley. Single card solutions are simplest. Also one higher performance GPU will be easier resale then two mid level GPU's, if your looking to resale by the time your done.

So there is your scenarios, up to you to decide which path your wanting to take. A lot of us concur with this and user opinions will vary.
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts