Overclock.net banner

Which GTX 560 Ti?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which GTX 560 Ti should I choose, MSI Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCU II?
  • Which one is cooler (both idle/load)?
  • Which one is quieter (both idle/load)?
  • Which one has better overclocking capability?
Twin Frozr II is 10 euros more expensive than DirectCU II. And by the way, don't recommend MSI Hawk because it's so much more expensive than these two cards.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Personally I loved my GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II. It was able to overclock extremely well (ymmv) being able to hit over 1GHz on the core (wish I could remember what I got for the memory). It would idle and even load for the most part rather quietly. I think it wasn't until I had the fan speed at about 70 or 80% I could start to hear it, though mind you I run on a test bench so any noise my parts make I can hear (where as a case will dampen some of those noises).

·
!
9,170 Posts
Well I don't really like the cooler on the Asus and I'd imagine it would be slightly hotter and louder than the MSI but the MSI does not have any VRM heatsinks and the Asus does. This is an important factor IMO and I would not be heavily overvolting any card that did not have adequate VRM cooling personally. I would probably go with the MSI over the Asus, but please add some VRM heatsinks when you can afford to and before maxing out the voltage on that card.

• Rep+
Reactions: Uberclocker

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love my Asus. Excellent overclocker. I think I might go with the TFIII over the TFII if I was picking the MSI one, but I don't think you can go wrong.

That said, they're all loud with fans > 70% or so. Any card is. At idle though, my card was at 29° last night, steady.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I prefer the DCII. The TFII dont have any heatsink on the VRMs, wich i dont like to see(or dont see ... )

DCII

TFII

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I've never used a DCU2 card, but my old 460 Hawks (TF2) were easily the quietest cards I've ever owned. Even on full load they were barely audible.

For a head to head comparison though:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt7_mHgwr98[/ame]

As for overclocking capability, that will mostly come down to your luck of the draw. Neither are binned afaik (chips chosen for MSI Hawk/Lightning series cards are though).

As Juano mentioned, the Asus has VRM cooling, which is always a plus if you're doing heavy over volting. Still, I don't believe the DCU2 cards have shown any higher OC potential on average.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. More votes and opinions are welcome.

It seems that the only negative thing in the Twin Frozr II is the lack of VRM cooling but still Twin Frozr II would be a better choice than DirectCU II.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a 570 DCII and it's cool but very big. I don't know if you plan on SLI'ing them in the future but if you do: Get the TFIII. 3 slot cooler is quite big

EK does make fullcover blocks for the DCII 570 and 580. Don't know if they fit on a DCII 560 but might be worth looking into if you watercool.

• Rep+

·
!
9,170 Posts
The 560ti DCII is only dual slot, but I don't like it's cooler very much, I prefer the MSI's cooler but I would put some VRM heatsinks on it.

• Rep+

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloitz;15224841
I have a 570 DCII and it's cool but very big. I don't know if you plan on SLI'ing them in the future but if you do: Get the TFIII. 3 slot cooler is quite big
tongue.gif

EK does make fullcover blocks for the DCII 570 and 580. Don't know if they fit on a DCII 560 but might be worth looking into if you watercool.
I don't plan on SLI'ing or watercooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano;15225203
The 560ti DCII is only dual slot, but I don't like it's cooler very much, I prefer the MSI's cooler but I would put some VRM heatsinks on it.
What if I keep the voltage low. Do I still need those?

·
!
9,170 Posts
Need with low voltage? No. Would they still be a good thing to have even with low voltage? Yes. To give you an idea, this is all subjective but I personally wouldn't go above about 1.075v on a 560ti without VRM cooling, but with a good cooler and good VRM cooling I would feel okay up to 1.15v. Those numbers are only for average gaming usage, for 24/7 folding which is what I do you could probably knock 25mV off of each of those and that's what I would feel comfortable with for 24/7 load.

• Rep+

·
Registered
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Überclocker;15224792
Well, I guess I'll get GTX 560 Ti with Twin Frozr II.
Get the 560 Ti Hawk instead, it has the Twin Frozr III cooler which has better fans and vrm cooling, it's louder but it's better. I just got the 570 with the TF3 and at idle (40% fan speed) I can't hear it at all.

Edit: oops sorry didn't see you said it's too expensive, I didn't know it was much more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaudioz;15226833
Get the 560 Ti Hawk instead, it has the Twin Frozr III cooler which has better fans and vrm cooling, it's louder but it's better. I just got the 570 with the TF3 and at idle (40% fan speed) I can't hear it at all.

Edit: oops sorry didn't see you said it's too expensive, I didn't know it was much more.
Hawk is 40€ more expensive than TFII.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.