Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an ASUS G74SX and am curious about overclocking. I have never overclocked a laptop and am wondering if the benefits are substantial.

The processor is an i7 2670Qm and from what I've read it isn't possible to overclock. With turbo boost I am assuming that isnt a big deal. What I am curious about is the GTX 560m. It has 3 GB of DDR5 for memory.

I put IC diamond compound on the CPU and GPU when I ordered it from prostar. The laptop also sits on a cooling deck.

So is it worthwhile to overclock it? If so What program should I use?

I only plan on playing games like SWTOR, Starcraft, maybe BF3. Will the gaming performance increase enough to do the research and go ahead and overclock the GPU?

I've read some conflicting things as to what temp I should limit it to but I think it's around 80C. Between the diamond compound, and cooling deck the laptop sits on will those help getting more out of the GPU due to overclocking?

I also read there were certain wires in laptop fans and cutting one would make the fan run at a 100% constantly. Not sure if that is just CPU or on the GPU as well...

Any help/guidance would be most appreciated.

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
MSI afterburner should do the trick.

Some laptops OC great.

I had an HP DV7 w/ a mobile HD5650. It would oc from 615mhz to 850mhz and actually run COOLER in alot of games because it didn't have to work as hard to hit FPS caps.

As long as it keeps cool and you're not running stress tests on it for extended periods you should be fine.
Undervolting can also be very useful. Alot of times you can run alot lower voltage at stock clocks leading to less heat and less stress on the components of the system.

There are various power meters out there that can monitor the power drawn when on battery power.

Good luck and dont blow it up
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
With my 2gb 560m I got it to max out the oc at 900/1600/1625, like a 15% boost in performance according to Kombustor.

It could be pushed further to like maybe 925 core or faster but I don't want to fry something, I know that 900/1600/1625 is a great increase. Mainly overclocking the memory will give you a better boost than the core/shader.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post

With my 2gb 560m I got it to max out the oc at 900/1600/1625, like a 15% boost in performance according to Kombustor.
It could be pushed further to like maybe 925 core or faster but I don't want to fry something, I know that 900/1600/1625 is a great increase. Mainly overclocking the memory will give you a better boost than the core/shader.
I thought the core clock had to be half the speed of the shader, or did I read something wrong? Did you adjust the voltage? If so is there a good guide laying around I am not seeing on how to do that?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
MSI Afterburner is probably the best gpu OCing utility, but you'll have to enable "unofficial overclocking" when you install it. Here's instructions for doing that: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

As far as the cpu, it generally isn't possible or worth it to OC the cpu on a laptop. Also, with a 2670QM, I don't think you'll have a problem keeping up with the 560m, even with an OC. Undervolting can be very successful, however. Especially if you want to OC your gpu undervolting the cpu can help with temps. This is OCN's laptop undervolting thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/424756/laptop-undervolting-thread
Unfortunately, I think it's a bit outdated and I couldn't get the software to work on my 2620M. If I see any other good guides I'll edit and post them here.

Also, I OCed my 6470M with Afterburner. It isn't a stellar gpu to begin with, but I went from 750/900 to 900/1100, and saw quite an increase in my games. My temps are normally below 90 C, which I think is safe. No one seems to really know what a safe temp is for it...laptop gpu's are a little tough that way. But I basically can't push it higher regardless of temps without a voltage increase, which isn't supported on my laptop. So I feel like I got a good OC out of a mediocre gpu.

Edit: The more I look around, the more I see people saying you just can't undervolt newer processors, like the sandy bridge ones. Kind of a shame, every once in a while I poke around on forums looking for ideas and the only thing I've seen is that you can undervolt the 2920XM because it's unlocked, and that's about it. If someone else has ideas about sandy bridge undervolting I'd love to hear em.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear240b View Post

Quote:

I thought the core clock had to be half the speed of the shader, or did I read something wrong? Did you adjust the voltage? If so is there a good guide laying around I am not seeing on how to do that?
Maybe it was 900/1800/1625. Just keep the shader and the core clock linked in MSI Afterburner and it will auto adjust your shader automatically according to your core clock.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I really hope mobile GPU's make some progress here. The GTX560-580 chips look good but we just need laptop's to support them...

I've got a 420m and it can OC to 550m speeds. Same shader count and core clock. Memory is a different issue... I can't OC memory or else I get errors. Stupid DDR3. stupid slow.

I just benchmarked my chip @ 550m speeds on heaven2.5 and i get 11.2fps average @ 1600x900 normal tess and 16x anisotropy, no AA. With my GTX560 OC'ed, I get 52FPS average. Score from 282 on the laptop to 1310 on the desktop. Pretty sad IMO. That's a 460% difference between the two...

I'm hoping Nvidia can get to a point where they make the Kepler chips run very cool which allows them to be readily available in most laptops, and high end chips too...

I know the laptop is a year old, but now, most games I play are almost unplayable on my laptop even on low settings... just sad.

Hope your 560m is much better!

And oh, btw, Dell didn't even have the heatsink touching the 420m chip... I had to replace the screws and paste to get it to make contact. Went from 82C to about 64C in temps....

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yep got it running Battlefield 3 maxed out 1600x900 aa off and motion blur off overclocked at 900/1800/1625 no problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

I really hope mobile GPU's make some progress here. The GTX560-580 chips look good but we just need laptop's to support them...
I've got a 420m and it can OC to 550m speeds. Same shader count and core clock. Memory is a different issue... I can't OC memory or else I get errors. Stupid DDR3. stupid slow.
I just benchmarked my chip @ 550m speeds on heaven2.5 and i get 11.2fps average @ 1600x900 normal tess and 16x anisotropy, no AA. With my GTX560 OC'ed, I get 52FPS average. Score from 282 on the laptop to 1310 on the desktop. Pretty sad IMO. That's a 460% difference between the two...
I'm hoping Nvidia can get to a point where they make the Kepler chips run very cool which allows them to be readily available in most laptops, and high end chips too...
I know the laptop is a year old, but now, most games I play are almost unplayable on my laptop even on low settings... just sad.
Hope your 560m is much better!
And oh, btw, Dell didn't even have the heatsink touching the 420m chip... I had to replace the screws and paste to get it to make contact. Went from 82C to about 64C in temps....
The cooling in the G74 is phenomenal so far. I'm really surprised. It will take a bit to see what my max is on the GPU. I will post screen shots when I get a chance. I ordered it from prostar.com which has me cautious...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I do think the G74 cooling is the best in laptop cooling so far. I mean, it's just so sleek and yet it stays so cool. Overclocking my 560m didn't even make it run any hotter.

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
3,000 Posts
Quote:

I do think the G74 cooling is the best in laptop cooling so far. I mean, it's just so sleek and yet it stays so cool. Overclocking my 560m didn't even make it run any hotter.
Did you just call a G74 SLEEK???

asus-g74-side.jpg

Sleek it is not @ 2.4" thick at it's largest point.
But it's not supposed to be sleek, so nobody will fault it for that.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deagle50ae View Post

Quote:

Did you just call a G74 SLEEK???

asus-g74-side.jpg

Sleek it is not @ 2.4" thick at it's largest point.
But it's not supposed to be sleek, so nobody will fault it for that.
By sleek I meant that the shell fits it so good, they made it nice and solid. A lot of other "gaming" laptops will have flashy colors and vents in every direction but the G74 can pull the solid look while staying pretty cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts