Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , I've been researching parts for my new build, and the only question that remains is to buy the evga 3gb 580 or the MSI 3GB XE model.

I am going air cooling for now but plan to upgrade to water and SLI in Jan.(tax season)

My main concern is being able to find a decent WC'ing solution for the MSI.

Thoughts?

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
core contact block. thats ur only option. memory heatsinks are an option as some 580s dont actually come with them and theyre fine.

oh and some different nuts and bolts for the heatink over the power phases unless the factory ones still work given that youll be removing the factory heatsink. i dont quite know how thats assembled but it may be like my DCIII and be alright with same screws.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Are you dead set on going W/C? The MSI GTX 580 Lightning XE has a custom PCB design so I doubt there's going to be a full-cover block for that card. You could go with a universal GPU block and heatsinks for the other components, but a full-cover block would give you better cooling. That being said, the Lightning XE has a better power delivery system so you're more likely to get higher overclocks than the EVGA card. Just some things to consider.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,456 Posts
the mosfet area cooling should be sufficient as it is even though you are taking the airflow away from that area. but if ur really wanna be sure I bet if you looked around you may be able to find a universal block that could match up to them lol. that would be a neat find and to see you watercooling it with one would be awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned several brands of cards over the years and have settled on EVGA. I have found them to be of high quality and excellent warranty. They also use reference board designs making it easy to use other after market water blocks. I have the GTX 570 and just fitted it with the EVGA Hydro Copper which fits the 570/580. It works brilliantly. The quality of the build is excellent, it is actually manufactured by Swiftech for EVGA so you know you are getting a quality product.

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliDD
View Post

So I guess the question would be could I get better clocks with the MSI on air or the evga underwater?

Under water anything beats the best air cooling GPU's. Best cards from what I've read to put under water are reference cards. Best Nvidia reference cards is EVGA.

I'm looking into water cooling but still way ahead of me. Got to do a bunch of homework before I take the plunge.

• Rep+
Reactions: SoliDD

·
Registered
999 Posts
EVGA has lifetime warranty so i go with the EVGA

Good luck with new video card !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
EK waterblocks does not have a full cover block for the extreme edition, and i contacted them about it. they said they have no plans to make one. (which is a crying shame, because that card would kick major butt under water. like insanity.)

you could get a universal for the core, but that is the only way that thing is going to get water cooled, as far as i know.

i just ordered an EVGA 580 and everything i need to water cool it (originally had an extreme edition but sent it back because i wanted to water cool). should be here monday. excitedness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.