Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a msi gtx 580 lightning from newegg's open box a few weeks ago and it's been fine. I upgraded my monitor last week to take advantage of it's power and now that I'm running at 1920x1080 I've started to get artifacts in bfbc2 and then it'll crash. =(

It started yesterday, out of the blue just artifacts started to appear. After probably 4 hours of game play. I went to go fire up fraps for a screenshot and gpuz for temps and they were (59c with 96% gpu load). But it didn't last that long. I started to feel like I was swimming through pudding and then my monitor shut off but my computer was still running. I had to hold down my power button just to shut it off.

Tried to play again today to get screenshots but this time it didn't even artifact before I started to feel like swimming in pudding before it crashed and my monitor shut off again. Only this time it was less then a half hour of playing bfbc2. Temps were 56c last I saw.

Worst part is I haven't even had the time to overclock since getting my monitor last week, so the lightning has been running at stock this entire time.

Is there anything I can do before I rma it to msi to make sure 100% it's the card? I ran 3dmark11 and still getting right around 6000 on performance with everything at stock.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Is the CPU overclocked? Temps on the card are acceptable, looks like you got a bad open box 580.

If CPU not OCed I would take advantage of the 30 day return policy for open boxed items.
Quote:
Open Box Refund Only Return Policy
Return for refund within: 30 days
Return for replacement within: non-replaceable
Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Refund Only 30-Day Return Policy", or items labeled as "Non-Replaceable" (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a refund. "Return" constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they are subject to a limited refund-only return policy. Such items can only be returned within 30 days of the applicable invoice date. "Return" constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA. Newegg cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including, but not limited to, scratches, dings or dents. Should these items exhibit a functional defect following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product Newegg guarantees only that you will receive the product itself; accessories MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open-Box products. Newegg will not send you a missing accessory, even if the missing accessory is required in order to properly make use of all the product's advertised functions.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Sounds like a bad card tbh. This is why I hate open box deals (of course RMA's can happen to anybody). Your PSU looks great, I assume you hooked up both 8-pin pci-e connectors?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
You only get this problem with BFBC2 ?

if so i would just try a few different drivers

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Yeah, which driver are you running? 275.33 WHQL works great for me in BFBC2...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball;14136149
Is the CPU overclocked? Temps on the card are acceptable, looks like you got a bad open box 580.

If CPU not OCed I would take advantage of the 30 day return policy for open boxed items.
It's not yet. I was running on a 20" monitor till last week so overclocking would have been pointless. =/

Well I hear great things about msi rma process and it's still under their warranty so I would go that route first before I mess with newegg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric;14136160
Sounds like a bad card tbh. This is why I hate open box deals (of course RMA's can happen to anybody). Your PSU looks great, I assume you hooked up both 8-pin pci-e connectors?
Yep, they're both plugged in. I checked earlier and they're both firmly in place as is my dvi cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih;14136161
You only get this problem with BFBC2 ?

if so i would just try a few different drivers
Only game I have that's worth mentioning for stress on cards.
tongue.gif

I played it fine the end of last week and most of the weekend, this only started now. If it was drivers wouldn't that have sneaked up on me earlier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric;14136178
Yeah, which driver are you running? 275.33 WHQL works great for me in BFBC2...
Yep, that one. It was working great. Been running with x4AA and still getting 90+fps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6;14136190
Like Farih said, try some different games first. It could just be a driver issue.
Ok, I'll try the drivers out. I don't have any hard on the gpu games. I got bfbc2 right after I got my card... Before that I was only on free to play shooters with low system requirements.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Medal of Honor is a pretty beastly game for gpu's and its really cheap right now (and its a pretty good game). You could try that one. I'm still leaning toward an RMA considering its OB status. Probably the reason it was returned by the first guy....

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
Sounds like the first owner may have pushed the hell out of it and weakend some VRM. Open box returns to NewEgg can only be refunded not exchanged.

If changing drivers don't work and/or it's also an issue on other games then I'd call MSI to see about an RMA if you want to keep the Lightning, since you probably got it at a good price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6;14136389
So I am assuming that there were no artifacts while running 3dmark11?
Ran it again at extreme settings, no artifacts. It scored x2200 with everything at stock. But it only runs for 10 minutes or so?

Just ran furmark burn in with everything checked and x8aa for 15 minutes. Max temp went up to 67c but no artifacts or shutdowns.
confused.gif

On to trying the drivers... Trying 270.61 first since it was the last release before the newest one.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMoss;14136868
Ran it again at extreme settings, no artifacts. It scored x2200 with everything at stock. But it only runs for 10 minutes or so?

Just ran furmark burn in with everything checked and x8aa for 15 minutes. Max temp went up to 67c but no artifacts or shutdowns.
confused.gif

On to trying the drivers... Trying 270.61 first since it was the last release before the newest one.
I have rarely seen artifacts appear after the first 5 minutes of running 3dmark Vantage or 11, although it is possible.

You did mention how artifacts appeared after 4 hours of playing BC2 (which is a long time). If there is something damaged on the PCB, the artifacts are likely to worsen in time.

Try running 3dmark 11 in a series of 5-6 loops to make sure nothing is physically wrong with the card.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Have the lightning and play bc2 all the time completely maxed on everything without any issues. At work now, but can check which drivers I am running tonight when I get home and get back to you. Maybe that will help?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6;14136907
I have rarely seen artifacts appear after the first 5 minutes of running 3dmark Vantage or 11, although it is possible.

You did mention how artifacts appeared after 4 hours of playing BC2 (which is a long time). If there is something damaged on the PCB, the artifacts are likely to worsen in time.

Try running 3dmark 11 in a series of 5-6 loops to make sure nothing is physically wrong with the card.
I'll try that next. I did inspect the card when I first got it to make sure there was no damage cause I saw that thread here where he got a lightning with no bios switch. I was paranoid so I went over all the newegg gallery images compared with my card and it seemed to check out.

I just tried playing on the 270.61 driver and I crashed after a single game. Got into the second game, ran to the flag and was taking on a tank when my frames dropped to 7 fps and again my monitor shut off and I had to hold down my power button to shut off my computer.
frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by glakr;14136911
Have the lightning and play bc2 all the time completely maxed on everything without any issues. At work now, but can check which drivers I am running tonight when I get home and get back to you. Maybe that will help?
Surely can't hurt.
tongue.gif
I know my friends who are in the 400 series have had problems with the new drivers but I haven't had a single problem playing the game till yesterday.

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMoss;14137320

I just tried playing on the 270.61 driver and I crashed after a single game. Got into the second game, ran to the flag and was taking on a tank when my frames dropped to 7 fps and again my monitor shut off and I had to hold down my power button to shut off my computer.
frown.gif
Ah man that stinks. Did this happen on your old card? And what was your previous card btw?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6;14137374
Ah man that stinks. Did this happen on your old card? And what was your previous card btw?
I couldn't play bc2 on my old card. It was the 8500gt from my old system and then when that died and pny didn't help me, I was stuck with my internal card the ati 4250 (terrible for gaming) for a while till I got the 580.

I did the last hour or so looping of 3dmark11, no artifacts or crashing. Seems to only happen in game.
confused.gif
Maybe letting it go longer? I could try that tonight...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im sure its the game your playing , you have a good power supply . Try Crysis 1 , metro 2033 , Those games will also prove to you if you card runs stable . MSI makes 100% quality , beat your card up with crysis and metro .

I am on vacation this week , I have literally played 36 hours of gaming in the past 48 hours with my 570 tf3 .

Not a single artifact or crash in those 2 games , beat crysis without a single crash on high++ settings

My old directCU 2 used to crash on crysis and metro after 15 minutes , with the MSI its 0 crash after 15 hours straight gaming .

I installed a little support that I screwed into my hdd case to stop my 570 from sagging slightly , important that the card stays leveled and does not suffer from oscillations when high fan speed . I suggest everybody do that with heavy saggy cards .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crashing with the 266.58 driver to... I guess this has been happening for a while. I guess those lag patches I encountered this last weekend while I played much longer then 4 hours
weren't my internet.

I tried recording the lag into crash with fraps but it didn't record right and mpc nor wmp can read the file. -.-

I've played all these maps for the last 3 weeks without issue. I only started getting these lag outs, crashes and artifacts the last few days. So it can't be drivers I'm thinking now.

When I just tried to play again now, I wasn't even in game 15 minutes before it went nuts and my monitor shut off and I had to again forcefully shut down my computer. This is just nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simoncow
View Post

Im sure its the game your playing , you have a good power supply . Try Crysis 1 , metro 2033 , Those games will also prove to you if you card runs stable . MSI makes 100% quality , beat your card up with crysis and metro .

I am on vacation this week , I have literally played 36 hours of gaming in the past 48 hours with my 570 tf3 .

Not a single artifact or crash in those 2 games , beat crysis without a single crash on high++ settings

My old directCU 2 used to crash on crysis and metro after 15 minutes , with the MSI its 0 crash after 15 hours straight gaming .

I installed a little support that I screwed into my hdd case to stop my 570 from sagging slightly , important that the card stays leveled and does not suffer from oscillations when high fan speed . I suggest everybody do that with heavy saggy cards .

Don't have those games and to download them would eat a big chunk into my monthly data cap (thanks att!).

I should get a wire for mine just in case. For now it looks straight, it doesn't appear to be sagging. I can see the power phase leds from right here (they're bloody bright!) through my haf 922's ceiling fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHunter
View Post

275.xx driver is known to cause artifacts in BFBC2 after playing it for a while..

something like this
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...post&p=1246259

or like so
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...ount=177ž

i would try 270.61whql or go back to 267.xx or try modded Tesla 270.90 - pretty good and smooth driver too

I've played longer then that last weekend and saw nothing. Also didn't crash like I am now.

I just tried the 266.58 driver, didn't work. 270.61 didn't help either. So I'm at a loss here. I guess I got a bad card and now that I'm playing at a higher resolution it's cracking under the pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never installed a support on the hdd side of my case when I had the Asus .

Performance kept getting worst day after day till it wouldnt start anymore , by the time I did it it was way broke . Never messed with its settings besides 50 mv increase .

Chips today are not big and thick ceramic coating like dip series from the 90s , Paper thin , and my asus has a 15 degree bendand the pcb itself curbing in both directions . Add 75% fans and you can feel the vibrations when you touch it .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts