Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the upgrade itch, and I'd like to either upgrade my GPU or CPU. Right now I have a 2500k @ 4.6 GHz and a GTX 460 @ 820 MHz. Which would be a better upgrade as far as folding is concerned? Getting a used GTX 570/580 or getting a 3770k? I'm leaning towards a GPU upgrade since my 460 has been repaired by baking before and likes to crash from time-to-time, and of course it's the better upgrade for gaming, but if I were to upgrade my CPU I'd have an average 2500k to sell or use in another build.

Another question, can you overclock Ivy Bridge on a P67 motherboard? I thought I read only Z77 could overclock Ivy but confirmation would be nice.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Get the GTX 580.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITRO1250 View Post

Get the GTX 580.
This!

Or a GTX 670.

Also, it depends on the board, some boards require BIOS updates that will allow you to do some mild overclocking, I don't know how far you'll be able to push it, but you most certainly can overclock.

Edit: There will be some more BIOS updates in the next few months to address overclocking issues across most boards.

Edit 2: Keep forgetting things haha, UEFI BIOS's will be fine. I think it's primarily the Gigabyte boards, I'd do some more research but, I'm busy at the moment! Sorry
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Would you rather fold or game? 580 for folding, 670 for gaming, or... if you're not bothered how well it folds, a 670 isn't exactly terrible at it. Google around for some benches!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably care a little more about folding at this point. My 460 is plenty powerful for the games I do play so I wouldn't be upgrading solely to improve gaming, it just has issues since it's been oven-bake-repaired before. I've also seen GTX 580's sell used for fairly cheap because of the new 600 series so it seems like a good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You can overclock an ivy bridge on P67, yes. But it's only a tiny insignificant processor upgrade. Not worth your time unless you do heavily multi-threaded work. A GPU upgrade would be much more noticeable for gaming. Not sure 580 is the way to go though. Check prices vs 670 or 7870/7950.

·
Registered
155 Posts
a second gtx 480! and save up the rest for GF 110
wink.gif

AHh sorry I misread everything 0.o........

well take a-look around and see if you can find a gtx 580 around thatd probably be your best upgrade! or maybe a second gtx 460 to hold you till next gen??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts