Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running into some serious issues with my GTX 580 lately and i've tried rearranging my fan setup, cleaning my card, and even just running 100% fan speed in evga precision. For example I was playing Rift today to check temperatures, and I found my temperatures hitting 92c while just running around killing mobs. Next I go to a game like Skyrim and the temps are below 90c, at about 87 max, but I am forced to run my fans at 100%. My case is fairly clean as well.

I am using a NZXT case with: (all at max speed)

2 top 200m fans - exhaust
140mm front fan - intake
200mm side fan - intake
2 120mm side fans - intake
140mm back fun - exhaust

Before this arrangement, my back top fan was exhaust while my front top fan was intake, and I was still running into the same high temps. Anyone have an idea what might be causing these overheating issues. I really don't feel comfortable having to run my gpu fan at 100% all the time, and it still hitting 90c.

The one thing I have to mention is that on the side fan, i had to take out the mesh because the fan itself could not fit with my cooler. This basically leaves a semi open area where the side fan is, but since its 200mm fan there isnt that much space open.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Check to see if voltage is normal. Then you could either replace TIM, or RMA it. I have heard of lots of people's cards going bad and overheating randomly before.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I pitched my oem cooler long ago but i can tell you a issue i had with my waterblock..That is the weight and the contant heating and cooling started to distort the card and i ended up haveing to reseat the full cover block and now have it propped up with a THICK section of tubing.

but as stated check your voltages just to be sure there is not somthing funky going or or just put some new TIM on it.

Oh also bad grounding and or psu on the frizt could POSSIBLY cause somthing of this nature, just a thought

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
change top to intake

·
Registered
386 Posts
I turned a 90-100º Msi GTX580 Twin Frozr II from zero to hero. I moved forwards the purchase of a second card for SLI which I was going to buy anyway, so that I could RMA the first card and not be without a gaming computer. Before I did the RMA on the first card I took the heatsink off and re-timmed with Icy Diamond 24. I was gutted when it didn't seem to make a difference. I decided to re-tim again in case I had done a bad apllication of TIM. However when I removed the headsink the heat spreader of the GPU die came off stuck to the heatsink. What I thought was a disaster however turned into a silver lining. There was feck all TIM between the GPU die and heatspreader. I Cleaned all surfaces with Arcticlean 1&2. Re-timmed the GPU die and then glued the heatspreader back on and then refitted the heatsink. Put some washers under the 4 screws to get a tighter fit. Temps dropped to the low 60's under load running the heaven benchmark and low 50's playing BF3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts