Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the question implies, which is a better choice? I have two GTX 570s in SLI right now, and just recently upgraded to a 1440p monitor. The cards are fast but I am limited by my 570s graphics memory (1.2Gb), so I am selling them and upgrading to either of the two above setups. I can get the 7950s for $580 and the 670s for $640. The cost difference is honestly negligible to me, so I will just choose whichever you guys think is the better setup.

Also, as a side note, has anyone seen/have any insight as to how both setups perform in Crysis 3 at 1440p? Thanks guys!

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
I just came recently from a quadfire 7950 and switched to a tri-sli 680 for surround gaming.

If you are only going to game on one screen go for the dual 7950s.

Only and only if you are going to OC them a bit to 1050+ mhz.

If you are not going to OC then go with the 670s.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The two 7950s will be far superior. 6 gigs of vram will play Crysis 3 fantastically, and the 7950 is just as good if not better than the 670 (and you get free games).

I'll get back to you with some benchmarks.

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagkaman View Post

The two 7950s will be far superior. 6 gigs of vram will play Crysis 3 fantastically, and the 7950 is just as good if not better than the 670 (and you get free games).

You mean 3GB worth of ram. Crossfire mirrors and doesn't add ram.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I got the 7950s I would undoubtedly OC them. Having and not OCing them would be like not OCing a K series Intel haha. But I would only have 3GB of memory available because CFX can only use the vram of one card, as would SLI as well. But I don't doubt that they would be superior. I know that the 3GB of 384 bit memory is much better than the 670 offering, but I feel like my primary concern is CFX scaling vs SLI scaling with the two cards.

On that note I get the impression that SLI setups tend to be better supported. Like in Crysis 3 for example, my SLI setup works perfectly. On the other side though, I haven't seen any benchmarks, but I keep reading about issues with crossfire in Crysis 3. If you could find something proving otherwise, however, I would be very grateful!!

Thanks for the input so far guys.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Quote:

You mean 3GB worth of ram. Crossfire mirrors and doesn't add ram.
Now that I did not know. However, I do honestly believe that the 7950 is the better card (this coming from a gtx 670 owner) and would highly recommend it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there aren't many games around that will max out 3 gigs of vram (the only one that I know of is Skyrim heavily modded and maybe Crysis 3), so you should be fine.

Edit: Also, the crossfire issues in Crysis 3 only exist because it's a very young game. Give AMD some time and I'm sure they'll fix it up.

Also, Crossfire scales just as well as SLI these days in most cases.

Edit Edit: I just noticed that you're paying about a hundred dollars more for two 7950s than I payed for my single 670. Australian prices suck!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Now that I did not know. However, I do honestly believe that the 7950 is the better card (this coming from a gtx 670 owner) and would highly recommend it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that there aren't many games around that will max out 3 gigs of vram (the only one that I know of is Skyrim heavily modded and maybe Crysis 3), so you should be fine.

Edit: Also, the crossfire issues in Crysis 3 only exist because it's a very young game. Give AMD some time and I'm sure they'll fix it up.

Also, Crossfire scales just as well as SLI these days in most cases.
Fair enough. That is certainly true. However, I still do feel like in general this tends to be the case more so with CFX than SLI, and even if games are eventually fixed it would be a bit frustrating if it continued to occur as new games are released. So, with that said, is there any consensus on the reliability (not performance) of CFX vs SLI? I used to own two different CFX setups (3x 3870s and 2x 4890s) and they performed admirably, but I do seem to remember drivers being an issue every now and then. This is as opposed to my first SLI setup with the 570s, which have pretty much been flawless.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fencefeet View Post

Fair enough. That is certainly true. However, I still do feel like in general this tends to be the case more so with CFX than SLI, and even if games are eventually fixed it would be a bit frustrating if it continued to occur as new games are released. So, with that said, is there any consensus on the reliability of CFX vs SLI? I used to own two different CFX setups (3x 3870s and 2x 4890s) and they performed admirably, but I do seem to remember drivers being an issue every now and then. This is as opposed to my first SLI setup with the 570s, and they have pretty much been flawless.
Simply put , single card performance=amd , SLI=nvidia ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
Well AMD I don't have much faith in with regards to crossfire.

Had so much pain with crossfire/eyefinity it was stupid not to change to Nvidia. Every patch that was leaked I was jumping with joy and crying in agony as that driver just didn't deliver.

Even after a year of the 7XXX series being released the cards themselves are not properly optimized (This is coming from a dude who ran Eyefinity/crossfire since the 5870... bought two 6970s... and then two 7950s... three 7950s... quad 7950s..)

OP go nvidia if you want driver support. If you want benchmarks god mode... go AMD. I know that for a fact since my quadfire 7950 literally decimited the unigine benchmarks!

As for multi-monitor support... the AMD 7950 measly 3GB didn't suffer one bit on 7680x1440. Just don't enable AA
tongue.gif

·
Tech Enthusiast
12,388 Posts
Whichever you can get for the cheapest... they'll be more or less the same.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
True, but just remember that AMD probably mirrored most of those boosts. Anyway, the two setups are pretty much at parallels in terms of performance as has been mentioned before. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a need to ask others opinions, would there?

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
Thats at default clocks... OCed the 7950 is a beast!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
461 Posts
Although AMD is really trying to get their game together with drivers and releasing new drivers every so often to fix bugs and improve performance, I would still say go for 670s. I've had my 7970s since launch day and although it hasn't given me as terrible headaches as some people, it was NOT smooth sailing. Having owned Nvidia card for a majority of my life, their drivers and driver performance feels to be on a different level. I experience more stuttering, and some microstuttering on my 7970s in a lot of AAA titles than I wish for. Plus, these reference 7970s are loud as heck if I try to OC them. I wish I would have waited until the 670/80 came out to pick those up instead.

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhavocman View Post

Same goes for 670? ^^ Who would buy a card and not oc it?
biggrin.gif
Maybe because it is all ready OCed to it's limits by default with respect to it's original cooling?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King4x4 View Post

Maybe because it is all ready OCed to it's limits by default with respect to it's original cooling?
tongue.gif
That is incorrect in so many ways , if the cards on their factory state were their max OC then every Nvidia card would be a total failure and nobody would buy them , even reference cooled cards OC like beasts , take the EVGA GTX 670 FTW , it uses a reference cooler but is one of the best cards out there !

·
Intel Pariah
2,386 Posts
Meh.. don't know... have my cards unlocked through KGB and they are hitting their temperature max... need to put them under water!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts