Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have tried overclocking my card starting from 40 MHz and anything upwards freezes my computer untill I close the Ungine Heaven Benchmark. This does not seem normal for a card made for overclocking and I paid alot of extra for this...

Specs

3570K 4.5 GHz
CX600
1x256 GB SDD

Does this have anything to with my PSU or is my card just a piece of poop?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forums!

What drivers are you using?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
I've seen a few threads recently where people are struggling to overclock 680's and I have a feeling that I may be one of them too. I haven't sat down and properly attempted but remember even a 50Mhz clock jump crashing BL2 yet stock clocks remained perfectly stable.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Such fail for a card as mine if thats the case.. I regret buying it, could have spend 200 $ less for a card that performs the same and probaly overclock more..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Of what i know Nvidia have recently locked down thier 600 series pretty hard. You will probably need a unlocked BIOS to be able to increase voltage above stock.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I try to follow the last step 7. type " nvflash -4 -5 -6 680L_UnlockedBIOS.rom "

It gives me a error...

ERROR: Cannot open file nvflash -4 -5 -6 680L_UnlockedBIOS.rom

This is giving me a headache
frown.gif

Edit: The file I downloaded had a different name than 680L_UnlockedBIOS.rom so I changed it, bad idea my computer display looked like a gameboy and the fan was at 100 % ... Have reverted it, hopefully no damage is done.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. I flashed the bios and increased the voltage and power limit to 200 %, I get the benchmark going and no crash occurs like it used to.. Instead artifacts appear at 60 MHz.. How sad, my brothers 670 overclocks 150 MHz on his.......

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If switching the Default BIOS to the LN2 BIOS your power target is still 133% and raising the voltage doesn't help, that means you've got the LOCKED one....You need to flash your BIOS to the Unlocked version, to unlock the voltage.

You can find more information about the Lightning in this thread :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280007/official-msi-gtx-680-lightning-owners-club/

Oh nevermind, I guess you was already know about the thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fniz92 View Post

Just did, the same thing happened. Seems like I got the worst card they had....
Then maybe its time to consider a return and pick some other card instead. I did the same with my Gigabyte 7970 OC that had zero OC possibility, bought a MSI 7950 Twin Frozr V2/OC instead and now its overclocked to 1200/1610 on 1.25/1.7v with a antec 620 moded onto it, beats most 7970 on air.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts