Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the price of a new 7970 like $300 and a new 770 at $400 is there any reason to buy the 770? is it that much better? From the numbers i have seen they are very similar in performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Do you plan on going CFX or SLI? I'd go with the 7970 simply because of price, but if you plan on going into Multi-GPU configs you might want to consider the 770. Although I have heard with the recent 13.8 drivers that micro stutter is down considerably. I would also take into consideration what titles you might be playing as I'm assuming this card is for gaming. I had two 7970s I had no real issues other than upgrading drivers was a PITA, but all the other issues that seem so prominent around here didn't seem to crop up YMMV. Condensed, look at what games you're considering and if you're going multi-GPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Although I own a 780, I agree that there really is no reason to buy a 770 unless you exclusively want to stay Nvidia or want physx. Like you said, the performance is pretty similar and in my opinion, not worth the $100 gap.

If I were you, I would get the 7970 over the 770 because it comes with 3gb of VRAM and will pretty much max out any game at 1080p. 2 gb of VRAM in the 770 is fine for 1080p, but is a risk for 1440p. I've seen it go over 2 gb in a couple of games using EVGA precision x (Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light). Note that these games were run with everything on its highest possible setting except for anti aliasing- on FXAA instead of something ridiculous like 8x MSAA.

I would say, get the 7970. I owned the 7950 for a while when I was gaming at 1080p and it maxed out every game I had no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Freeman View Post

I currently own one 7970 already so the idea would be crossfire
If you already own one 7970, then there is no point in switching to a 770. Unless of-course you want some Nvidia specific gaming features (Advanced Physx, 3D vision with light boost, CUDA) e.t.c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/571791

770 at a silly overclock vs...

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/221487

Which one is faster?
One would think that the 7970 should be much much better than a 770, considering it has

1, 50% more memory than a 770 (3,072 MB vs 2,048 MB)

2, 18% better floating-point performance than a 770 (3,789 GFLOPS vs 3,213 GFLOPS)

3, 18% higher memory bandwidth than a 770 (264 GB/s vs 224 GB/s)

4, 33.3% more shading units than a 770 (2,048 vs 1,536)

5, 50% more wider memory bus than a 770 (384 bit vs 256 bit)

BUT

The 770 tops it in A LOT of game benchmarks, and it's a well borne out fact. Firestrike is not a game mister, and at the end of the day, 99% of people buy GPU's to play games, not run benchmarks to get numbers that don't apply to gaming at ridiculous clock speeds that won't last 15 mins playing bf3
tongue.gif
.

For benchmarking, i'll recommend the 7970 over a 770, but for gaming. 770 All the way, because it obviously offers more..... Just my opinion.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

If you already own one 7970, then there is no point in switching to a 770. Unless of-course you want some Nvidia specific gaming features (Advanced Physx, 3D vision with light boost, CUDA) e.t.c.
One would think that the 7970 should be much much better than a 770, considering it has

1, 50% more memory than a 770 (3,072 MB vs 2,048 MB)

2, 18% better floating-point performance than a 770 (3,789 GFLOPS vs 3,213 GFLOPS)

3, 18% higher memory bandwidth than a 770 (264 GB/s vs 224 GB/s)

4, 33.3% more shading units than a 770 (2,048 vs 1,536)

5, 50% more wider memory bus than a 770 (384 bit vs 256 bit)

BUT

The 770 tops it in A LOT of game benchmarks, and it's a well borne out fact. Firestrike is not a game mister, and at the end of the day, 99% of people buy GPU's to play games, not run benchmarks to get numbers that don't apply to gaming at ridiculous clock speeds that won't last 15 mins playing bf3
tongue.gif
.

For benchmarking, i'll recommend the 7970 over a 770, but for gaming. 770 All the way, because it obviously offers more..... Just my opinion.
biggrin.gif
You indirectly admitted that you know the 7970 is better when you say "just my opinion" because you couldnt bring yourself to say "its a fact." Because, well if you did. Everyone would laugh AT you. And most of the time, when people start or end their sentences with "Just my opinion" they know what they're going to say or have said is just all wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerjr1 View Post

You indirectly admitted that you know the 7970 is better when you say "just my opinion" because you couldnt bring yourself to say "its a fact." Because, well if you did. Everyone would laugh AT you. And most of the time, when people start or end their sentences with "Just my opinion" they know what they're going to say or have said is just all wrong.
I think you missed the part where i said....
Quote:
The 770 tops it in A LOT of game benchmarks, and it's a well borne out FACT.
.
tongue.gif


And when i say "just my opinion", I am referring to the fact that i said "the 770 offers more",
Quote:
for gaming. 770 All the way, because it obviously offers more..... Just my opinion.
and when i say "offers more" i mean, Advanced PhysX, No motion blur Lightboost hack, 3D vision... e.t.c. But some people don't care about those add-on's, just the same way most people don't care about heat levels, power draw, noise levels, e.t.c, while buying a GPU, they just care about FPS, that's why it's just my opinion.
smile.gif
.

I think you're in denial, and you know the 770 is a much better GPU for gaming than the 7970, but you purchased it, and you will die trying to defend your purchase haha.
tongue.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

I think you missed the part where i said....
.
tongue.gif


And when i say "just my opinion", I am referring to the fact that i said "the 770 offers more",
and when i say "offers more" i mean, Advanced PhysX, No motion blur Lightboost hack, 3D vision... e.t.c. But some people don't care about those add-on's, just the same way most people don't care about heat levels, power draw, noise levels, e.t.c, while buying a GPU, they just care about FPS, that's why it's just my opinion.
smile.gif
.

I think you're in denial, and you know the 770 is a much better GPU for gaming than the 7970, but you purchased it, and you will die trying to defend your purchase haha.
tongue.gif
I'd like to know how its much better when the 770 wins some and the 7970 wins some (Both at reasonable clocks, because ofcourse, if you push the 7970 it will walk over the 770.).

I dont need to defend my purchase lol. This 7970 had wrong pricing, was like 50 dollars ( Im dead serious).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerjr1 View Post

I'd like to know how its much better when the 770 wins some and the 7970 wins some (Both at reasonable clocks, because ofcourse, if you push the 7970 it will walk over the 770.).
Oh..... like how you pushed your 7970 in metro LL benchmark, and i still beat you in AVG FPS with my 770?
rolleyes.gif
. I mean, that's a game. It's not Valley, it's not 3D mark 11, it's not Firestrike, it's a game that people actually play to complete.

Ever wonder why the 770 is at 400-450$ with one game, and the 7970 is at 300-400$ with only God knows how many free games?
biggrin.gif
. You might call it marketing strategy, but i don't, i smell an inferior product that has better specs, but can't beat it's much lower spec'd competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerjr1 View Post

If you can beat me in firestrike (Should be easy since your 770 can do 1300+ easily
smile.gif
) Then ill be convinced.
If you can beat me in Metro LL, which is actually a game (Should be easy since your 7970 can do 1290Mhz+ easily) Then i'll also be convinced.
tongue.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

If you can beat me in Metro LL, which is actually a game (Should be easy since your 7970 can do 1290Mhz+ easily) Then i'll also be convinced.
tongue.gif
At SSAA X4? Deal
biggrin.gif


And it doesnt really clock to 1290 on this reference cooler easily at all, its a lot of hassle. I need a loop for this card.

What exactly do you mean 7970 cant beat a 770? I beat you a couple of times, 3dmark FS, Valley,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoolio View Post

Although I own a 780, I agree that there really is no reason to buy a 770 unless you exclusively want to stay Nvidia or want physx. Like you said, the performance is pretty similar and in my opinion, not worth the $100 gap.

If I were you, I would get the 7970 over the 770 because it comes with 3gb of VRAM and will pretty much max out any game at 1080p. 2 gb of VRAM in the 770 is fine for 1080p, but is a risk for 1440p. I've seen it go over 2 gb in a couple of games using EVGA precision x (Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Metro Last Light). Note that these games were run with everything on its highest possible setting except for anti aliasing- on FXAA instead of something ridiculous like 8x MSAA.

I would say, get the 7970. I owned the 7950 for a while when I was gaming at 1080p and it maxed out every game I had no problem.
+1

First rep GZ
biggrin.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerjr1 View Post

If you can beat me in firestrike (Should be easy since your 770 can do 1300+ easily
smile.gif
) Then ill be convinced.
If you can beat me in Metro LL, which is actually a game (Should be easy since your 7970 can do 1290Mhz+ easily) Then i'll also be convinced.
tongue.gif
I'll beat you. Want to play? Valley, done, Heaven, done, 3dmark, done...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartouille View Post

wow that 7970 completely murders the 770
Makes you almost want to smack your forehead doesn't it? This is also why this 770 pwnzors rhetoric is
doh.gif
material. And then with the recent price drops... it's amazing that anyone would still be clinging to that rhetoric.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartouille View Post

wow that 7970 completely murders the 770
Ooooh really? Isn't it weird that yungbenny keeps insisting that the 770 is a better card? Even with this PROOF? Kind of breaks his credibility.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top