Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do u think it will handle this game, I play bf3 on ultra with a few things off and get 80-100 fps no problem. I wouldn't mind if I had to play bf4 on lower settings as long as its not the absolute lowest. What do u guys think?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
780M is going to handle BF4 just fine at 1080p resolution. You might need to turn down the FSAA/MSAA a little bit if you want 70+ FPS. The 780M is basically a GTX 680 desktop running at substantially lower clock speed.

Greg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
I have a 770m in my ASUS G750 and I'm loving it. I would have loved a 780m even more, but couldn't stomach the extra $700 premium.

Greg
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

I have a 770m in my ASUS G750 and I'm loving it. I would have loved a 780m even more, but couldn't stomach the extra $700 premium.

Greg
That's why Asus is such a rip-off. A Sager with the 780M is the same price as the Asus you bought. The upgrade to the 780M from the 770M is like... $300 on most Sager machines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious now to when sager will release new drivers, im still on the old 311 and I downloaded the latest off nvidias site but it messed up my screen so I went back to the old driver which is still great.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

That's why Asus is such a rip-off. A Sager with the 780M is the same price as the Asus you bought. The upgrade to the 780M from the 770M is like... $300 on most Sager machines.
The Sager that equates to my G750JX is the NP9390, and equipped with a 780M it's $1934 from XoticPC. That's a solid $434 more than the G750 to get the 780M vs. the stock 770M in the G750. Still too pricy for me. XoticPC is charging $600 for a second 780M in SLI.

Those damn 780M's aren't cheap, anyway you look at it.

Greg
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

The Sager that equates to my G750JX is the NP9390, and equipped with a 780M it's $1934 from XoticPC. That's a solid $434 more than the G750 to get the 780M vs. the stock 770M in the G750. Still too pricy for me. XoticPC is charging $600 for a second 780M in SLI.

Those damn 780M's aren't cheap, anyway you look at it.

Greg
I still don't see how that makes any sense... the laptop that can equip dual GPUs is the equal to the Asus that only holds one? I'm not following you here...

And xoticpc is showing the price required coming from the stock single card. They aren't charging another $600 to go from one 780M to dual 780Ms. The price doesn't update actively... I thought that would be obvious... but oh well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

I still don't see how that makes any sense... the laptop that can equip dual GPUs is the equal to the Asus that only holds one? I'm not following you here...

And xoticpc is showing the price required coming from the stock single card. They aren't charging another $600 to go from one 780M to dual 780Ms. The price doesn't update actively... I thought that would be obvious... but oh well.
I see what you mean about dual GPU vs. single GPU capable machine. I suppose that's not an apples to apples comparison. It's taken me a while to figure out which one more closely matches the G750, and it looks like the NP8295 is the right one to compare to. It's $1519.00 with Windows 8, GTX 770M and 12GB of RAM, same specs at the G750 but $19 more. 770M --- not a 780M for the same price. 780M option replaces the 770M for +$350

As for XoticPC charging $600 more for a second 780M, they most certainly do. Single 780M in that SLI-capable Haswell Sager adds $250 over the stock AMD choice. Adding a second 780M brings it to a +$850 upcharge. Math shows that second 780M is $600 of the $850 upgrade over stock.

I'm not sure how this got into a pissing match, the OP asked if a 780M will run BF4 acceptably, and I believe it will. LOL.

Greg
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,347 Posts
Well that's a surprise... o-o

Yeah... dual 780Ms are really pointless for a laptop since you don't run beyond 1080p on these machines. I'd go for the 9390-S model personally. The 8970M is a 7970M, but with a clock speed increase. Benches show it's on par with a GTX 580... which is badass for a laptop...
 

·
Laptop Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,347 Posts
Well... the 780M is a 660 Ti before overclocking, in terms of performance. So yeah... probably around highish settings... you just gotta experiment with what's good for you.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top