Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

so, i have a phenom 965, 8gb ram, xfx 500w psu, using windows 8.1 (tried with windows 10 aswell), and a gtx 960 (just got it to replace my hd 6770),
every game that i try to play, even with acceptable fps (40+), does not run smooth, it seems like i'm playing with 10 fps or things are constantly stuttering to load or something like that.
i have tried reinstalling windows, swapping drivers, disabling nvidia audio driver and f.lux, and somehow last night my problem was solved (i've been getting this for 4 days, this is the time i put this computer together), but now its stuttering all over again.
someone have any tips or ideas for something i can try?

testing on cs:go i can see that the fps drops from 200+ for something below 100 (drops too fast, i cant see) for something like a split second and the comes back to the usual 200+, other games like GTA V, BF4, h1z1 and others i cant see fps drops, i can just experience a gameplay that isnt smooth at all

thank you!

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Are you playing at 1080p? What refresh rate?
Which 960 are you using?

My first approximation is that your Phenom is holding you back some, but depending on other factors, it may be superfluous and the 960 is your biggest culprit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your answer!

1080p, 60hz
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 960 WINDFORCE 4GB

if it was my phenom causing the stutering, wouldn't my fps be lower?
i mean, even in games running at 40+ fps theres stuttering all over the place
i have tried overclocking my cpu and no difference was seen

also, something weird to note is that in 1 week trying to solve this problem i've been able to play without stuttering for something like 10 hours, but i dont know what has been changed

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Are you using a HDD or a SSD, and how old is it?
Can you download and run some tests? If so, download 3DMark and run Firestrike, report back here with your scores.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using 2 HDDs, the old one with the SO and new one is where I'm installing games and stuff, i've tested both and got no luck

downloading 3dmark

also, would make any difference if i change the pci slot where my gpu is installed?

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
You should be using the PCI slot closest to the processor.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Your GPU showing clocked @ 1127MHz versus the factory clock of ~1240MHz is an issue as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, this is weird lol

but that difference could cause my stuttering?
i mean, my in game problems are not related to fps at all, just that the game doesnt feel smooth

oh, I just checked
Core Clock
OC Mode - 1241MHz
Gaming Mode - 1216 MHz

Boost Clock
OC Mode - 1304 MHz
Gaming Mode - 1279 MHz

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
You're underperforming in every metric.
How long has it been since you've done a Windows reinstall?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed windows 10 two days ago, i bought the gtx 960 10 days ago, installed it 7 days ago, and i have reinstalled windows like 5 times from the day I installed the gpu until now

edit: this is my gpu-z info
q5a.png

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Your physics score being 80% lower than the other guy's Phenom is the biggest difference.
How are you cooling your CPU and what are its temperatures under load and at idle? Download hwinfo64 to determine.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Run the benchmark in GTA 5 and see what your results are.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Yes, the Phenom is certainly holding you back in GTA 5.

Can you recreate the stuttering conditions even if you lower settings?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, i have stuttering on every graphic setting, and even on games that are not so heavy and I could play just fine with my old hd 6770, like cs:go

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Have you used the 6770 again and tested to see if the stuttering occurs with it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no, and i didnt have any stutterings before upgrading to the gtx 960
oh, i've had to update the bios so my 960 could work

1 - 20 of 29 Posts