456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really at a loss here... I have a computer that I use in my office:

i7-3770K @ 4.4GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3
Asus GTX 970
Windows 10 x64

So, about 3-4 weeks ago, my games started crashing (crash to desktop with drivers recovering) and other times it would crash (black screen) but the audio continued. It never would recover unless I rebooted manually.

I RMA'd the card to Asus, they "repaired" the same card and sent it back yesterday. I'm still experiencing the same issue in nearly every game. The crash sometimes occurs 5 seconds into the game or it could take as long as a minute, but it always happens.

When I remove the card, I'm able to play the games just fine...well, for what can be expected for onboard graphics.

I've tried several different NVIDIA drivers, but all have the same result...not sure what to try next.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderEstimated View Post

I'm really at a loss here... I have a computer that I use in my office:

i7-3770K @ 4.4GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR3
Asus GTX 970
Windows 10 x64

So, about 3-4 weeks ago, my games started crashing (crash to desktop with drivers recovering) and other times it would crash (black screen) but the audio continued. It never would recover unless I rebooted manually.

I RMA'd the card to Asus, they "repaired" the same card and sent it back yesterday. I'm still experiencing the same issue in nearly every game. The crash sometimes occurs 5 seconds into the game or it could take as long as a minute, but it always happens.

When I remove the card, I'm able to play the games just fine...well, for what can be expected for onboard graphics.

I've tried several different NVIDIA drivers, but all have the same result...not sure what to try next.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
By chance did they say what was repaired?

·
underest
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so after combing through some other forums and websites, it appears that I've solved the problem. For my Asus Strix OC 970, I needed to use Afterburner to reduce the max power to 90% and drop the core clock 50MHz for it to be stable.

Should I RMA this card again and state that it's unacceptable?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yeah, I'd return it and go with a different brand entirely. The card should be able to run at advertised clocks without a single hiccup. My 970 in Sim Rig flys at 1513MHz in games.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc79 View Post

Yeah, I'd return it and go with a different brand entirely. The card should be able to run at advertised clocks without a single hiccup. My 970 in Sim Rig flys at 1513MHz in games.
Dont forget the ASUS 970s dont have a power circuit that will take it real high. ~1500 is about as much as you can expect with the ASUS 970s. Its a single 8 pin design. If you can return it and get something with more power on board that will help on your OC but with the 970s and 980s ive played with thats been the sweet spot really. My 980s will OC quite a bit more than the 1500core i run them at but thats where i leave them. There was no point to me pushing them as far as possible for little to no noticeable gain.

TL:DR There are better versions of the 970 for overclocking than the Strix. If you want to go 1500+ on core exchange for a model with more than a single 8 pin for power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts