Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you read the title already. I will upgrade my PC come 2015. And I'll be going for 980. So, recently I've read news of 980 8 GB variant coming in November and it's almost the end of December with no sign of 8 GB 980's. I'm still contemplating about which one to get, I'll be gaming on a 1080p monitor. And I'm very much aware that 8 GB for 1080p monitor is just insanely absurd. But I'll be running 2 1080p monitors. A G-sync monitor for gaming & an IPS monitor for other desktop activities, I really like to max out on the games I play, plus don't you guys think the additional VRAM would help with the DSR thingy.

There are already some games out there which pretty much reaches around 2.5 GB VRAM when maxed out (Ex: Far Cry 4). Plus some of the titles that are coming out in 2015 GTA V, The Witcher 3 for instance might surpass 3 GB VRAM usage when maxed out by the looks of it.

So, what would you guys suggest? Wait for the 980 8 GB which doesn't have a release date yet or get a 4 GB 980?

Sorry for the lengthy post I just wanted to be as specific as possible. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

On 1080P, you'll run out of GPU horsepower before you ever get near 8GB.
I know on a single 1080p screen I won't be getting anywhere near that 8 GB. I was just speaking in terms of say the future-proofing factor. Like I don't max out games using MSAA x8. Frankly, I don't like it. I just use SMAA or MSAA 2x or maybe 4x in some rare cases. But seeing some games already nearing 3 GB limit. I got kind of concerned there. Btw, I might go for SLI. If that helps as the memory between both the GPU is shared and processed twice as fast. Not sure If that is the correct way to define it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

You're only going to be gaming on one 1080P monitor. No reason to get a 8GB card. Don't waste the money.

The other monitor doing misc other activities won't really use much of anything VRAM wise.
Yeah the other monitor that's basically gonna sit on desktop would likely consume around 300 MB as that's Win 8.1 uses according to Tom's Hardware article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juub View Post

I doubt we see any game at 1080p being an issue for 4GB.
Not as of yet, But some games like Far Cry 4 does reach around 2.5 GB with everything maxed out. I guess, I'll just wait for GTA V PC requirements to come out, which is very soon hopefully. As that's one of the primary motives behind my PC upgrade.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
The thing is though, you can't future proof. By the time that 8GB is worth having, the 980 won't be worth crap in maxing out games.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

I am not seeing a 980 8gb anywhere. Is this even out yet?
This

There's no GTX 980 8GB model, only 4GB.

There's however an R9 290X 8GB version.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

The thing is though, you can't future proof. By the time that 8GB is worth having, the 980 won't be worth crap in maxing out games.
Yeah, you're right in that aspect. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

I am not seeing a 980 8gb anywhere. Is this even out yet?
It's not out yet but it'll be sometime in the future.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckyle View Post

i'm still skeptical of that 256bit bus if 8gb ever gets released.
They opted for 256 bit bus because of this technique they call 3rd generation Delta Color Compression, which reduces the bandwidth requirement over previous architectures. Anyway, perf. difference between 4GB & 8GB would likely be minimal just like the 780 3GB & 6GB. Hopefully with Pascal in 2016, we would see some real 4K performance on single cards.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapmeth View Post

Hopefully with Pascal in 2016, we would see some real 4K performance on single cards.
biggrin.gif
This, this this! agree.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Unless you plan on upgrading your monitor there is little reason to opt for the 8GB version. Even in terms of future proofing.

Yeah who knows maybe in 2 years there will be a game that uses 4GB or 5GB on 1080p but even if it did all you would need to do is lower AA a notch and be fine.

8GB is a waste for 1080p. You'd be better off spending that money the 8GB is likely going to cost on 2x 970's instead.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Unless you plan on upgrading your monitor there is little reason to opt for the 8GB version. Even in terms of future proofing.

Yeah who knows maybe in 2 years there will be a game that uses 4GB or 5GB on 1080p but even if it did all you would need to do is lower AA a notch and be fine.

8GB is a waste for 1080p. You'd be better off spending that money the 8GB is likely going to cost on 2x 970's instead.
by that time, the 980 wont have enough power to run the game properly, the require power to use 8GB of ram is bounds ahead of what a 980 can do, the card will run out of juice long long before it reaches 6gb much less 8gb.

8gb cards should be left for 2017+ when they can actually run 4k with AA at 60+FPS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts