Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a backplate for my GTX Titan, but the warranty void if removed sticker right on top of the VRM.

Should I just put the thermal pads over this and ignore that the sticker is there. I searched the web and found this http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2070444 Where he says the its fine to peel off the part that is covering the VRM, but half the sticker is covering the VRM in my case so thats out of the question.

My main question is. Will it be okey if I just put thermal pads over it? Which difference will it make. Coz Im too scared to touch the sticker.

Im also curious to why it is put in this particular spot as there is nothing fancy right underneath it as far as I know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to install a backplate for my GTX Titan, but the warranty void if removed sticker right on top of the VRM.

Should I just put the thermal pads over this and ignore that the sticker is there. I searched the web and found this http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2070444 Where he says the its fine to peel off the part that is covering the VRM, but half the sticker is covering the VRM in my case so thats out of the question.

My main question is. Will it be okey if I just put thermal pads over it? Which difference will it make. Coz Im too scared to touch the sticker.

Im also curious to why it is put in this particular spot as there is nothing fancy right underneath it as far as I know.

(Didnt know where exactly to post this topic so posted two places, sorry for that)

·

13,101 Posts
You can just peel that sticker off and stick in in another place on the pcb or another safe place. Place it back if you need to RMA later.

I peeled mine off of my old GTX Titan and set it aside.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Just put it right over them, carefully. If the sticker seems durable, you could carefully peel it off and move it to under the GPU area just to the left in that picture, but that's more dangerous.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply. Wont I void the warranty if I just remove it one inch? If I lift it off the board at all?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by atminside View Post

First, that's not a VRM. Its a memory chip.
Aha, I've been misinformed then.
Quote:

Second, do you even need extra cooling for the memory on your GPU?
Probably not, but Im going to do it anyway.
Quote:

The thermal pad shouldn't be adhesive on that side and shouldn't hurt the sticker at all. It won't inhibit cooling in any noticeable amount either.
Okey, thank you for that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephobia View Post

Probably not, but Im going to do it anyway.
Okey, thank you for that.
Very much so. The VRM is under the heatsink, about 2/3 of the way down the card from the PCIe bracket.
The chips you're looking at are Samsung GDDR5
thumb.gif

I've got a backplate on my 770. It looks nice. Performance difference? Minute at best.
New memory runs at such a low voltage that it just doesn't get as hot as the old stuff did.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I learned something today as well. And yes, I'm mostly going to install it for the looks. It would feel incomplete in some way if I didnt have the matching backplate for it.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
you documented it here so that is good! It also wouldn't hurt to email EVGA customer service, attach your picture and ask them if it's ok.

·
✔️
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephobia View Post

You most propably got VRAM and VRM mixed in your head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts