Votes: 2 10.0%
  • XFX gtx275 XXX

Votes: 18 90.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to what seems to be a catch 22 situation here.

After searching the web for hours trying to find an Evga gtx 260 ssc in England I've gave up. I've came to the conculsion that I'm not going to be a ble to get one for christmas at around the £200 mark.

Basically, I want your advice.
What do you think I should go for?

An XFX gtx275 XXX (240 cores)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...es-plus-Batman

Or a XFX gtx260 black (216 cores)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/896MB...V-plus-FarCry2

Please forget about comparing the cost of the cards, it's not really an issue, I just want the best card out of the two.

Thanks in advance,

Grant.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
If choosing only between the two: GTX 275

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
GTX275 is definitely more powerful. But also consider the Radeon 5770, 5850, 5870, etc, and also the 4890.

• Rep+
Reactions: eleymonster

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, so many replies in so little time. Iv'e added a poll to make things easier. I wanted a 260 SSC because I was the best card is in my price range, from Evga (good warranty, step-up etc...) and had better specs than the other gtx260 stock cards.
Thanks everyone.

BTW, jrharvey, I did think about the 5850 and read some reviews on it the general tread of these reviews seemed to mention that they had heat issues so I didn't bother

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Which is better? The higher spec'd one that costs more.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
save some money and buy a non-oc card. XFX will not support the factory overclock and will not allow RMA if the card is not stable @ that clock... trust me I know from experience. They told me to downclock to reference speeds and be happy. I am able to OC core and shaders, but the memory is overclocking like crap and I have that @ reference.

Since both the 260 and 275 are technically obsolete, get the cheaper of the two. No point sinking lots of money into a GPU that's due for another price reduction soon. Plus the 275 isn't that much better than the 260 that it warrants the somewhat large price difference. If you do get the gtx 260 make sure it's the 55nm version they seem to be overclocking better.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
gtx 275 is way better
4 to 8 fps better on crysis? yes it's better. Is that way better?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well if crisis runs at about 30~ 5 fps is just under a 20% increase.

Which is actually quite a bit better. But I would just get a GTX 260 or wait until nVidia's DX11 cards (Fermi).

·
Initializing...
23,790 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: eleymonster

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehStone View Post
save some money and buy a non-oc card. XFX will not support the factory overclock and will not allow RMA if the card is not stable @ that clock... trust me I know from experience. They told me to downclock to reference speeds and be happy. I am able to OC core and shaders, but the memory is overclocking like crap and I have that @ reference.

Since both the 260 and 275 are technically obsolete, get the cheaper of the two. No point sinking lots of money into a GPU that's due for another price reduction soon. Plus the 275 isn't that much better than the 260 that it warrants the somewhat large price difference. If you do get the gtx 260 make sure it's the 55nm version they seem to be overclocking better.
Wow i had a completely different experience. I had a 9600gt OC that would not run at factory OC but would at reference and XFX replaced it for another OC card.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, It seems that your opinions are that the gtx275 is the better card, I'm quite intrigued by the fact that Nvidia don't have any directX11 cards ready for sale yet. It's probaly not going to be much of a change from directX10 anyways.

My final question is:

Do you think the XFX gtx275 XXX is the best version to get, in terms of, warranty, customer service and quality or is there a different maker (PYN,BFG,Gigabyte...) that sell the 275 with equal to or more power than the XFX version that have better warranties, customer service, etcetera?

Thanks to everyone who has posted and/or voted you've really made it much easier for me to decide on the best card

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Just on warranty/customer service I would choose BFG, then EVGA, then XFX. My experiences with xfx have bumped them down on my nVidia list from my first choice to my 3rd, but others have had better experiences than me. Definitely get that lifetime warranty brother! Good luck. Your system will be awesome with a 275.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts