Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend won an auction of an GTX280 for 240 euros (300 USD) and it probably wont even do in his PC because of his power supply. (and no... he doesn't want to buy a new one) So hes probably going to sell it to me OR I will also try to win an auction for around 200 euro(250 USD). Wich are great prices for us europeans since if you buy them in the store the minimal price is 350 euro (438 USD) to 400 euro (500 euro).

So is it really worth it to upgrade my old 8800GTS 640mb G80 for a brand new GTX280?

The games I play are all of the new games like TF2, Mirrors Edge, FEAR, FEAR2, UT3, L4D, GTA4, DeadSpace and so on.

Its not like I'm having problems with my 8800 but I'd like to be future proof and add some AA and AF to make the games even look nicer.

So is it worth the 200~240 euro (250~300 USD) to upgrade?

Oh and I'm playing games on my 32" HDTV with a res of 1600x1200!

And I'm going to put it on water.

I've won an auction at 220 euro!

Thanks for all the answers!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
yes, Yes, and YES!!
Get the 280

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

yes, Yes, and YES!!
Get the 280

what he said

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much performance will I gain from it? Like in how many frames will I get extra in certain games.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much PPD will I get with [email protected]? Also I'm going to use my 8800GTS as a Physics card and let it fold 24/7.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Well with my card I get about 7k with the 511's and with the 420's I get around 8-10k

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
I think all such questions should be weighed by the purpose and price of the card.

Because whats the point of spending anything unless you have a specific application to enjoy the investment?

If there isn't a game atm you want to play at spc resolutions, why spend the money? A good deal doesn't always work out in the end. In six months the 295 may be 300 dollars usd and you may actually have a game you feel the need to upgrade to play.

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
i would definitely say yes... it should be quite a jump

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

I think all such questions should be weighed by the purpose and price of the card.

Because whats the point of spending anything unless you have a specific application to enjoy the investment?

If there isn't a game atm you want to play at spc resolutions, why spend the money? A good deal doesn't always work out in the end. In six months the 295 may be 300 dollars usd and you may actually have a game you feel the need to upgrade to play.

True, but I'm starting to notice that my card isn't cutting edge anymore. And I'd like to be future proof and maybe when the prices drop again I can do it in SLI.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
For that price GET IT! That thing is a steal!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
****yeah! A new auction has been made.

I might even get it cheaper now.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
As time go by and sells come and go, I've realized there no such thing as a can't miss deal. Everything comes and goes, but they're always replaced with something else.

I don't think its about futureproffing. In my say so i follow bill clintons advice: buy what you really want. I don't want to deprive myself of that. If a 280 is waht you really want now, get it. However, even if 2 years down the line a 280 or sli 280 works for you fine, there maybe something else you'd wana buy that you fancy, or makes you want to futureproof your computer again.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

As time go by and sells come and go, I've realized there no such thing as a can't miss deal. Everything comes and goes, but they're always replaced with something else.

I don't think its about futureproffing. In my say so i follow bill clintons advice: buy what you really want. I don't want to deprive myself of that. If a 280 is waht you really want now, get it. However, even if 2 years down the line a 280 or sli 280 works for you fine, there maybe something else you'd wana buy that you fancy, or makes you want to futureproof your computer again.

My 8800GTS lasted long enough and it was its money well worth it. I hope this GTX280 will do the same.
And so was my 7900GTX which lasted me for over 2 or 3 years. And this 8800GTS is about 2 years now.

·
Banned
5,335 Posts
same, i got 2 880gts 640's and i'm still using them. all i'm saying is i think its best to upgrade for a reason, as well as indulge in what you want instead of buying just to get a good deal.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just lost the auction. I hate it when I got to leave at the last hour.

I still have the highest bid on a GTX260(125 euro) and another GTX280.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts