Overclock.net banner

GTX280 SLI.. how much cooling?

315 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  NoodleGTS
Hi,

For my new case mod I'm thinking of water cooling my GTX280s.

Which blocks would you recommend (not necessarily the best, but the most bang for the buck).

Also can I get away with a double rad or do I need a triple?

One more question - can a single good pump (the one I have) handle two rads and 4 blocks or should I get a second pump? One more question (so I lied) - should I put the GPUs on their own loop? Makes the most sense to me but I'd like to hear pros and cons for both.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an MCP655 in my current system. Do you think that would be able to circulate water with enough power through 2 rads, a res, and 4 blocks?

· STG3 VET
13,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS
View Post

I have an MCP655 in my current system. Do you think that would be able to circulate water with enough power through 2 rads, a res, and 4 blocks?

That should be fine.
You will get better performance by having 2 loops

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great help. Last question - do you think I can get away with a double rad for the GPUs? By get away with I mean equal or better performance to the stock air cooling. Double rad would be ideal because I could mount it into the bottom of the TJ-07 I want to mod. However if I have to get a triple I would have to figure out some other place to put it.

· STG3 VET
13,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS
View Post

Great help. Last question - do you think I can get away with a double rad for the GPUs? By get away with I mean equal or better performance to the stock air cooling. Double rad would be ideal because I could mount it into the bottom of the TJ-07 I want to mod. However if I have to get a triple I would have to figure out some other place to put it.

I think you should be fine as long as it is a high quality rad like feser or thermochill

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been looking and apparently all the water block makers also make a back plate for the ram on the backside of the GTX280. Fair enough. However as you can see in my sig (Cosmos S mod) I have a PCI express sound card in the slot right above my video card. Any idea whether or not the back plate on the top card will interfere with the sound card?

· Programmer
29,887 Posts
is stock cooling rubbish on these cards?

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
is stock cooling rubbish on these cards?
a) yes, super loud and not very efficient

b) air cooling will suck in my TJ-07 so must move on to water

Anyone know where I can find some GTX280 blocks in stock, and what the answer is to my backplate question?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.