Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For my new case mod I'm thinking of water cooling my GTX280s.

Which blocks would you recommend (not necessarily the best, but the most bang for the buck).

Also can I get away with a double rad or do I need a triple?

One more question - can a single good pump (the one I have) handle two rads and 4 blocks or should I get a second pump? One more question (so I lied) - should I put the GPUs on their own loop? Makes the most sense to me but I'd like to hear pros and cons for both.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an MCP655 in my current system. Do you think that would be able to circulate water with enough power through 2 rads, a res, and 4 blocks?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS
View Post

I have an MCP655 in my current system. Do you think that would be able to circulate water with enough power through 2 rads, a res, and 4 blocks?

That should be fine.
You will get better performance by having 2 loops

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great help. Last question - do you think I can get away with a double rad for the GPUs? By get away with I mean equal or better performance to the stock air cooling. Double rad would be ideal because I could mount it into the bottom of the TJ-07 I want to mod. However if I have to get a triple I would have to figure out some other place to put it.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoodleGTS
View Post

Great help. Last question - do you think I can get away with a double rad for the GPUs? By get away with I mean equal or better performance to the stock air cooling. Double rad would be ideal because I could mount it into the bottom of the TJ-07 I want to mod. However if I have to get a triple I would have to figure out some other place to put it.

I think you should be fine as long as it is a high quality rad like feser or thermochill

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been looking and apparently all the water block makers also make a back plate for the ram on the backside of the GTX280. Fair enough. However as you can see in my sig (Cosmos S mod) I have a PCI express sound card in the slot right above my video card. Any idea whether or not the back plate on the top card will interfere with the sound card?

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
is stock cooling rubbish on these cards?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
is stock cooling rubbish on these cards?
a) yes, super loud and not very efficient

b) air cooling will suck in my TJ-07 so must move on to water

Anyone know where I can find some GTX280 blocks in stock, and what the answer is to my backplate question?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts