Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was in my signature rig until this week when I got my GTX580.

I did some folding using this card and am planning on setting up a second rig here soon and will use this card again in that.

here is the issue: When I fold on it the temp goes to 100C. Doesn't seem to have any issues and just plugs along just fine and such. Still though want to make sure about any possible issues if I was to let it do that on a 24/7 basis doing just folding.

thanks for your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
914 Posts
over 100C is dangerous for even momentary use. You either want to reapply thermal compound as the compound in it has likely dried out or get a better heat sink. Because at 100C you will fry the card in less than a week of folding. I had an old 8500GT that would Idle at 55C after putting fresh AS Ceramique on it the temps dropped by about 20C.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edit: Lets get down and dirty on this thing.

XFX Geforce 285 Black

I have it apart. The compound is fubared and working on cleaning it off.
it also has this white stuff over about 20 separate chips as well. That stuff is also fubared. I would say 16 of those are the memory chips that surround the GPU it self.

Thermal paste I have. What do i get to replace this what stuff that was over each of these points? I would almost call the white stuff pliable styrafom if that makes since except not really.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker150;15248988
Edit: Lets get down and dirty on this thing.

XFX Geforce 285 Black

I have it apart. The compound is fubared and working on cleaning it off.
it also has this white stuff over about 20 separate chips as well. That stuff is also fubared. I would say 16 of those are the memory chips that surround the GPU it self.

Thermal paste I have. What do i get to replace this what stuff that was over each of these points? I would almost call the white stuff pliable styrafom if that makes since except not really.
Dont take that white stuff off, its ok for it to stay even after you opened it. Its thermale tape and does the same thing that thermale paste does, transfers heat to the heatsink. They do not need to come off. Just put the paste on the GPU and tell us your results.

·
3DFX User
7,279 Posts
Leave the white stuff on the chips on. Only reapply on the GPU.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would gladly leave the white thermal tape on but it was really thrashed. it ripped and shredded over many of the chips as i was removing the cover so I don't have a choice need to replace it as well.

1. I just wrote XFX and asked them what tape they recommend for it.

2. if anyone can recommend what to get as well it would be appreciated and where do I get it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts