Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its not like the card is cooked or anything,

i have the GPU in my Sig rig already OC'ed, to 860Mhz Core using 1.10v, today i tried an OC of 900Mhz core using 1.164v but after 2 min or so of OCCT (temp reaches 85C) the screen goes blank and i have to restart the system.

is it a PSU issue or do i need to apply less/more voltage?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the VRM.s are properly cooled but is my PSU enough for this OC'ed system? i am asking this so i can rule it out and concentrate on the raising/lowering the voltage only

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omari79 View Post

yeah the VRM.s are properly cooled but is my PSU enough for this OC'ed system? i am asking this so i can rule it out and concentrate on the raising/lowering the voltage only
Try increasing voltage further. Use Unigine heaven on max settings and max resolution to check for stability.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i applied a good thermaltake thermal paste to the GPU yesterday instead of the stock one in order to improve the T (line method) but it ended up with the same result -_-

anyway thanks for the advice but why should i use Unigine instead of OCCT? is it more reliable?

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
Quote:

i applied a good thermaltake thermal paste to the GPU yesterday instead of the stock one in order to improve the T (line method) but it ended up with the same result -_-

anyway thanks for the advice but why should i use Unigine instead of OCCT? is it more reliable?
Yeah. It's more practical as well and gives you more of an idea of real world scenarios rather than a burn in test to check temps.

We have a rather similar setup. If you want we could always bench to check out performance
smile.gif

·
Banned
11,146 Posts
You have an entry level psu, so you can't rule that out either really. But I would try to just increase voltage and see what happens.
But you have to remember that it's not certain that you can oc more, I have had several cards that won't oc at all or oc a lot. Basically the oc lottery!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

Yeah. It's more practical as well and gives you more of an idea of real world scenarios rather than a burn in test to check temps.

We have a rather similar setup. If you want we could always bench to check out performance
smile.gif
thanks for the offer mate, i will try to increase the voltage a bit more to reach 900Mhz core (hopefully) then bench using Unigine heaven on Max settings 1080P and compare my result to yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by go4life View Post

You have an entry level psu, so you can't rule that out either really. But I would try to just increase voltage and see what happens.
But you have to remember that it's not certain that you can oc more, I have had several cards that won't oc at all or oc a lot. Basically the oc lottery!
thanks for the tip
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK mate,here is my benchmark result from unigine heaven 4.0
kindly note that i used the extreme preset which only allowed a 1600x900 windowed res, awaiting your benchmark result
thumb.gif

Edit: here is my run @ 900Mhz core 1.15v, extreme preset (i hope this means my card is stable!)

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Here you go dude. Looks like are gpu's are more or less the same. This is my 24/7 settings, 1150Mhz/1650Mhz.

Have a look at this for more comparisons.
thumb.gif

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=960&page=4
Quote:

My 3D Mark 11 run-
thanks mate
smile.gif

our unigine score are almost identical but you below me away in 3DMark 11
tongue.gif

core @ 900Mhz

back to the main topic, i actually ended up needing less voltage for a 900Mhz core in Unigine and 3Dmark 11 (1.15v) than in OCCT (1.16v)

didn't try gaming yet @ 900Mhz but i think it should be stable now that i finished multiple runs with Unigine and 3Dmark

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
Quote:

thanks mate
smile.gif

our unigine score are almost identical but you below me away in 3DMark 11
tongue.gif

core @ 900Mhz

back to the main topic, i actually ended up needing less voltage for a 900Mhz core in Unigine and 3Dmark 11 (1.15v) than in OCCT (1.16v)

didn't try gaming yet @ 900Mhz but i think it should be stable now that i finished multiple runs with Unigine and 3Dmark
You should definitely be stable now. I think in games my gpu is roughly 8fps faster than yours. If you want me can run a few games which have an in game benchmark. Just let me know
smile.gif

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no need, thanks, you already helped me a lot and i don't want to feel any worse about my PC
tongue.gif
thumb.gif

BTW your score is higher than i7-3930K @ 4.9GHz + GTX 460 1GB @ 936Mhz/4200Mhz

at first i thought that the reason for the big difference in our 3Dmark 11 scores is your CPU, but its actually your GPU too or it must be

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.