Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need your help on deciding which gfx card to buy for my new system.

These are belgian prices.

GTX460 Hawk - €240
MSI N470GTX-M2D12 - €250
Asus ENGTX470 - €260
XFX5870 XXX - €315 [On Sale]
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked+ - €320

·
Registered
468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyFenix
View Post

MSI 470. Best price out of them all IMO. Check some GPU benchmarks.

Agreed.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
I'd have to agree with the above. The MSI 470 offers the best bang per your buck, so that would get my vote. The 5870 will end up being the stronger card (listed), but it lacks the Nvidia features (3D and PhysX)...if that matters to you at all.

But for the best bang for your buck, grab the MSI 470

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
470 hands down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

I'd have to agree with the above. The MSI 470 offers the best bang per your buck, so that would get my vote. The 5870 will end up being the stronger card (listed), but it lacks the Nvidia features (3D and PhysX)...if that matters to you at all.

But for the best bang for your buck, grab the MSI 470

You forgot that the GTX 470 handles tessellation much better than the HD 5870.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkillzKillz View Post
470 hands down.

You forgot that the GTX 470 handles tessellation much better than the HD 5870.
Who cares?

If you want the fastest card with less power and heat go with 5870

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rchads89 View Post
Who cares?

The 470 doesn't run that hot if you go with non reference cooling. Mine maxes at around 65-68 in games. The power difference is negligible unless you're folding or something. If you are folding, the 470 will absolutely spank the 5870.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Quote:

Who cares?

Fan boy? Its obvious you want a better performing card for the money, or do you when looking for a videocard go, "i want the least comsuming card and least heat generating card" before anything else? If youve seen bechies the 470 is the same and a little slower in some games than the 5870, not to mention it wipes the floor with it in tesselation and other compute-demanding tasks. The power consumption is only about 25 watts more, if your going to not get a card because of 25 watts more power, you certainly shouldnt spend 300$+ for a video card

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
If you are folding, the 470 will absolutely spank the 5870.
If you're BOINCing, the 5870 will absolutely spank the 470.
Sorry, but I have to laugh when people list this when a new person asks for advice on what to buy.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
If you're BOINCing, the 5870 will absolutely spank the 470.
Sorry, but I have to laugh when people list this when a new person asks for advice on what to buy.
I only said that because that is the only time the power difference is noticeable. The 470 is a better bang for the buck currently.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie View Post
The 470 is a better bang for the buck currently.
It really depends on the country and price paid. I've owned everything except the 5850 and I can't really tell the difference between any of them. Right now in the US, I think the $198 5850 has to be the best bang for the buck, but that could change tommorrow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-500-_-Product

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
It really depends on the country and price paid. I've owned everything except the 5850 and I can't really tell the difference between any of them. Right now in the US, I think the $198 5850 has to be the best bang for the buck, but that could change tommorrow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-500-_-Product
He's asking between the 470 and 5870. That is a great price for the 5850, and the Twin Frozr II is a great cooler. Keeps my card nice and cool.

Good luck on getting MSI's MIR, though... lol.

·
Banned
318 Posts
okay guys, way to turn this into a fanboy war......

But anyway, I have the MSI gtx 470 and love it. I plan to get a second. 100% load at around 65 degrees Celsius. It also has military grade components, solid state cap, etc. its the cheapest company in the US, and also the best (no fanboyism, its a fact).

·
Banned
318 Posts
The 400 series nvidia cards will also give you a more future proof system.
It also depends on what your monitor is.

its also better if you have adequate cooling and plan on SLI.....

5870 - likes 1200/1600 resolution.
470 - likes high xAA.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by codejunki View Post
Fan boy? Its obvious you want a better performing card for the money, or do you when looking for a videocard go, "i want the least comsuming card and least heat generating card" before anything else? If youve seen bechies the 470 is the same and a little slower in some games than the 5870, not to mention it wipes the floor with it in tesselation and other compute-demanding tasks. The power consumption is only about 25 watts more, if your going to not get a card because of 25 watts more power, you certainly shouldnt spend 300$+ for a video card

No not a fan boy. If he wants the faster card than he should buy a 5870. Dont really care what he buys to be honest but it is fact that 5870 is faster than 470.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
GTX470 because of the price or else I would say 2 GTX460's in SLI.

·
Banned
6 Posts
In this order...
1.) 5870 (if you don't care about tessellation or PhysX)
2.) GTX 470 (could go to 1st if the 5870 wasn't a bit faster)
3.) GTX 460

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Quote:

No not a fan boy. If he wants the faster card than he should buy a 5870. Dont really care what he buys to be honest but it is fact that 5870 is faster than 470.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ck-review.html

most recent review that includes the 460 470 and 5870

The 470 and 5870 trade blows until you start adding in dx11 eye candy and AA in. Which is where the fermi chip starts showing its power and passes up the 5870.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ck-review.html

most recent review that includes the 460 470 and 5870

The 470 and 5870 trade blows until you start adding in dx11 eye candy and AA in. Which is where the fermi chip starts showing its power and passes up the 5870.
Still the 5870 is the faster card. Why are people content in thinking a 470 is a better and faster card than a 5870 its not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts