Overclock.net banner

GTX480 + 1055T Bottleneck

4078 63
So... my 1055T bottlenecks my GTX480, GPU usage does jump around 90-99% most of the time in games.

CPU atm with Stock cooler (Waiting on H80)
3500MHz CPU 1.32V
2500MHz Northbridge 1.23V CPU-NB

3DMark 11 scored around 4900.

Now it seems seriously low, and Im'a not liking.

And suggestions on how I could improve?
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

· Registered
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

disable c n q?
gpu in x8 slot?
isnt the 1055T a 95w part?
if the gpu and vram show near on 100% usage then they aren't being bottlenecked.

Cn Q is enabled, I tend to use my PC for watching blu-ray etc... and like to be a bit of a power saver lol.

GPU in X16 slot

I have the 125W edition I believe, of the 1055T

· Registered
1,773 Posts
OK boss well i am stunted and the only experience i can think of that relates to this scenario is this:
I updated video drivers and my 470s begun to sulk at me.
This manifested itself in the slowest most juddery painful fight scenes in batman AA...Oh and mafia II reporting that i had a 32ghz cpu whilst giving maybe 10fps

I tried everything but rolling back the drivers then i eventually gave in and rolled em back after swapping the slots the gpu's reside in and presto!
I can't say that would work for you but it did for me and im still nonplussed as to how it achieved normal performance again?

· Registered
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;14276969
Heaven is a gpu benchmark. Do you see any physics? Any AI? Any thing other than simple image rendering? No? Probably because its a gpu test, right?

My cpu usage is almost non existent in Heaven, in fact it down clocks to power saving mode during most of the test.

CryEngine may use up to 8 cores, that doesn't mean Crysis 2 does. I've done several tests in SLI and came to the conclusion it is dual threaded with third thread that is independent of rendering and much weaker than the other two in terms of demand.

Better read your link bro.
Come on, I see real time lighting, soft shadows, ambient occlusion, global illumination and lots of polygons rendering. Those all use CPU. My CPU with nearly 1 billion transistors is at roughly 70% load.

I also have a pretty consistent use of all 6 cores in C2 and there are far from bottlenecking the GPU.

Anyway, you are off-topic: All I say is that a mildly overclocked 1055t should not bottleneck a 480 or a pair of 6870, especially in DX11 games where the performance per thread will not be as important due to the multi-thread rendering capability.

Atomfix, it means your CPU was not bottlenecking your 480 in that particular test, because it was at 100%. The limiting factor preventing even higher fps was the GPU. It also shows Nvidia superiority when it comes to tesselation. Don't throw your CPU away right away. Wait until a game prevents you from getting 60+ fps because the CPU is maxed out while there is still headroom on your GPU.

· Banned
9,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMax
View Post

Come on, I see real time lighting, soft shadows, ambient occlusion, global illumination and lots of polygons rendering. Those all use CPU. My CPU with nearly 1 billion transistors is at roughly 70% load.

lolwut? Everything you listed was a gpu workload.

Also 70%? Come on, I had a 1090T I know they aren't that bad.

My i5-2500k averaged about 8% usage during actual testing. I have higher detail settings in nvcp but this isn't a 470 vs 480 thread anyways

Quote:

View Post

I also have a pretty consistent use of all 6 cores in C2 and there are far from bottlenecking the GPU.

So that is your logic behind it using eight cores?

I guess superpi is multithreaded now too right?

Windows will take a single thread and spread it over multiple cores. With that in mind, what do you think it does with two-three threads?

Quote:

View Post

Anyway, you are off-topic: All I say is that a mildly overclocked 1055t should not bottleneck a 480 or a pair of 6870, especially in DX11 games where the performance per thread will not be as important due to the multi-thread rendering capability.

What you said has no backing, and just that... What you said. You didn't provide any sort of proof you just said something. While I wouldn't disagree for the most part, I'm sure I can find a few titles using the DX11 API that will bottleneck on his x6.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.