Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if it would be wise to run GTX480 in sli on air? Also, will my psu be enough?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think you'd be fine with two of them. Mine manage to keep themselves under 80c and they are sandwiched together. Regarding the PSU, your one might cut it, if the 480s are undervolted but still it would probably be worth getting a quality 1000w+.

Also, yay for similar systems.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
View Post

I would surely recommend upgrading your PSU :/ I have a single 480 and overclocked runnning Furmark and CPU running Prime95 power out of the wall was 950W :O Then again that is Overclocked to 856 on the Core so it would surely be a close call if you run them in SLI.

Thats not right 950W with 1 480 lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
850w is fine for 480 sli, since nvidia reccomends 600w for 1, and a 2nd uses 250w...and they reccomend more than you need, anyways.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I would surely recommend upgrading your PSU :/ I have a single 480 and overclocked runnning Furmark and CPU running Prime95 power out of the wall was 950W :O Then again that is Overclocked to 856 on the Core so it would surely be a close call if you run them in SLI.

Proof?

An 850 is enough for two GTX480's and an i7.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So many people have told me I would be fine with this
psu. If I have to get a new one then so be it, just thought I might double check.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Give me a sec and I will take a picture. I have to restart to put on my P3 Kill A Watt meter on.

I just saw you're running watercooling.

But unless you have over 9,000 pumps and fans, 950W for an i7 and single 480 is not acceptable.

So maybe we factor in efficiency and such.
That calculates to around 790W DC.

This means that it is drawing 790W from your PSU.

This is so wrong.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You're better off asking in the Power Supply section. Many people in this Nvidia section over-quote what you need to run SLI.

Your 850W PSU will be FINE so long as you don't overclock heavily and try not to use Furmark lol So for normal day to day activities like gaming and stuff, 850W is fine.

If you wanna do benchies, then 1kW+ is the way to go

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

View Post

[/IMG]

Here you go

That is broken and wrong.

No way in HELL your rig is pulling that much.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

That is broken and wrong.

No way in HELL your rig is pulling that much.

well it must be only wrong on my system because everything else I try it on it is totally accurate. Do take into consideration that I was running Prime95 with CPU at 4.2Ghz HT on, GPU @ 900Mhz, 7 Fans, water pump, and I lose about 10%-20% efficiency from my PSU. Right now it says my computer is at 288W at idle.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
I was actually planning on getting one of those Kill A Watt meters as they seem extremely useful for distinguishing electronic wattage usage. Hopefully that is an accurate reading.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pvp309rcp
View Post

I was actually planning on getting one of those Kill A Watt meters as they seem extremely useful for distinguishing electronic wattage usage. Hopefully that is an accurate reading.

It is very handy! The GTX 480 with Furmark and 900Mhz on the core just consumes a ton on power. I had fan 100% and only did furmark for a short burst as it would quickly get up over 90C within seconds. I had enough time to take the picture and close furmark to get the card up to 86C. When gaming it reads about 550W-650W.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
That's 930 from the wall, which means, assuming an 80+ PSU, around 745w inside the machine. You *could* run that lot on a 750w PSU. NEXT!!!

Edit: An 800w would be better, it's bad for a PSU to run full power it's whole life... And that's with a full WC rig too...

·
Banned
332 Posts
I run an i7 920 at 4400mhz, Tw GTX 285 FTW OC editions @ 740mhz core, several hard drives, and I peak over 1,000W at the wall. I used a P3 killawatt and I have a Zalman PSU monitor. both are spot on

Rig idles at 300 or so, watercooling pump alone is 18W, plus 4 huge fans, a small one, and 30W in lights.. it all adds up fast man

I also recomend better PSU!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, so a new psu it seems as well then? :-/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts