Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just tried to overclock my new second card, which I've done sucessfully for my first card (3dMark11: P11465). I've read somewhere how to manage this in Control Panel and PrecisionX, but can't find the information again.
As I don't like to physically remove the second card, what do I have to do?

What I've tried:
Disabled first card in device manager: black screen.
Disabled SLI in CP.
Chosed 2 card in PrecisionX.
Problem: In PrecisionX the core clock keeps idling at base.

Or do I just plug the DVI-D in the second card?

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I want to get the most out of both cards. As my first card is a fine overclocker, I'd like the second card not to drop my scores.
So I just want to disable the first card while overclocking the second one to find out the highest possible clocks.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
o ok cool. it seems like to me that you could right click on the desktop and go to nvidia control panel and there might have been a setting in there where you can turn off sli and move the control over to the second card. you will probably have to move the dvi cable to the second card as well.

not sure though have never actually done that.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Clocker View Post

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I want to get the most out of both cards. As my first card is a fine overclocker, I'd like the second card not to drop my scores.
So I just want to disable the first card while overclocking the second one to find out the highest possible clocks.
They both have to have the same clock speed.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
what he wants to do is see how high his new card can clock, separately from his first, with out taking the card out of the rig.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by .theMetal View Post

what he wants to do is see how high his new card can clock, separately from his first, with out taking the card out of the rig.
+1
Yes, exactly that's want I want to do.
thumb.gif

@PatrickCrowely
As far as I know, you need not to sync the cards. In PrecisionX you can opt out "sync" and let each card run at it's own (highest) clock.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCrowely View Post

They both have to have the same clock speed.
Not in the 600 series, it'd be pretty difficult since each card boosts different even at stock clocks

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Clocker View Post

+1
Yes, exactly that's want I want to do.
thumb.gif

@PatrickCrowely
As far as I know, you need not to sync the cards. In PrecisionX you can opt out "sync" and let each card run at it's own (highest) clock.
Thanks, I'm looking into getting two 670's before the weekend. I want the EVGA 4GB with backplate, hopefully they will put some back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcamaross View Post

Not in the 600 series, it'd be pretty difficult since each card boosts different even at stock clocks
Thanks appreciate it.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by .theMetal View Post

o ok cool. it seems like to me that you could right click on the desktop and go to nvidia control panel and there might have been a setting in there where you can turn off sli and move the control over to the second card. you will probably have to move the dvi cable to the second card as well.
not sure though have never actually done that.
Unfortunately if the second card is plugged in DVI-D 2, the screen remains black. I even removed the SLI-bridge. And in Nvidia CP disabled SLI. That's strange. I remember having GTX 570 SLI before and if plugged into DVI-D 2 the graphics worked.

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
well you know what I would personally do if taking the card out is not possible, just fire up afterburner and see how high you can clock the pair.

but keep in mind the clocks of the first card as well. You won't be disappointed

·
Did you say Abe Lincoln?
3,148 Posts
yup I was thinking you were water cooled or something to where you essentially couldn't pull the card out with out breaking down the loop
smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts