Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building an HTPC for emulators and movies and will be hooking it up to my 1080p TV. I will be putting it inside a TV cubicle - so low electrical consumption/low heat matters. I will not be playing any intensive games on it because my main computer has a 7970 for PC games.

What graphics card should I get? In my area, I can get a GTX750Ti for $100, or a GTX950 for $132. (let's pretend the prices will be constant)

I was considering the GTX950, but this might be overkill because I won't be playing the top of the line PC games. Emulators should run at max graphics even in older GTX4x0 or Radeon 5xx0 cards. Should I get the GTX750 Ti and use that savings to treat myself to a few nice dinners?

Can anyone think of any reasons why I should spend $32 more to get the GTX950?

Edit:
My HTPC has a G3258 OCed to 4Ghz, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and an SSD

I'm 80% sure I'm going to go with the GTX750 Ti. However, I kinda want that extra power of the GTX950 simply for power sake, but I can't think of any logical reason why I should get it over the cheaper GTX750 TI because I won't be playing any intensive games on it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I posted a similar question in the HTPC section, one benefit the 950 GTX has over the 750 Ti GTX would be that if you ever go the 4K TV(60hz) route the 950 GTX has HDMI 2.0 while the 750 Ti GTX only has 1.4a HDMI until they release new version of the 750 Ti which I've heard rumors about.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post

I posted a similar question in the HTPC section, one benefit the 950 GTX has over the 750 Ti GTX would be that if you ever go the 4K TV(60hz) route the 950 GTX has HDMI 2.0 while the 750 Ti GTX only has 1.4a HDMI until they release new version of the 750 Ti which I've heard rumors about.
I just got a new TV 2 weeks ago - it's a 40inch 1080p TV. I don't imagine I'll be upgrading to a 4k TV for at least 5-6 years...by then both the GTX950 and GTX750 Ti would be obsolete.

Do you have a link to your thread? What did you decide in the end?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey BlueScreen,

I'd go with the 750ti as well since this will be strictly for emulators, and even if you decide to take a dip into, lets say a few low-end games that are in the CS GO, Left 4 Dead graphical tier, the 750ti should take that on without breaking a sweat.

Best of luck, and enjoy the dinners.

Best Regards,
Ebeeze

·
Banned
2,893 Posts
GTX 950 requires additional power supply, there are some versions of GTX 750 Ti which don't require additional power supply. I think 750 Ti will be better for HTPC and emulators.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

I just got a new TV 2 weeks ago - it's a 40inch 1080p TV. I don't imagine I'll be upgrading to a 4k TV for at least 5-6 years...by then both the GTX950 and GTX750 Ti would be obsolete.

Do you have a link to your thread? What did you decide in the end?
biggrin.gif

Edit:
I kinda want that extra power of the GTX950 simply for power sake, but I can't think of any logical reason why I should get it over the cheaper GTX750 TI because I won't be playing any intensive games on it.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1583679/htpc-4k-resolution-for-movies-web-downloads
I still have lots of time before I make the purchase but I prefer the 950/960 simply because I do have a 4K TV, sadly its 30hz but I plan to replace it in the near future.
In a way I'm pretty much downgrading my second rig
tongue.gif

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
I'm using a 750Ti (stock clocks) on a locked 3GHz Ivy Bridge i5 (3330) in my HTPC. Plays games beautifully at 1080p with a 360 controller. Might dip below 60 FPS, but honestly being an HTPC / couch gamer I could care less. I'd say save the $32 and get the 750Ti. I'm rocking GTA V with decent enough settings on mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts