Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The board of Research In Motion (RIM), the Canadian company behind BlackBerry, was under renewed pressure this evening to oust the company's co-chief executives and prepare the group for a sale, merger or breakup.
Quote:
Jaguar, which describes itself as a merchant bank, says its support among investors has passed the 5% threshold needed to call a shareholders' meeting, at which it could force board change.

Before then, Alboini [Jaguar's chairman and chief executive] plans to speak to directors to negotiate a new strategy.
Quote:
He believes RIM could be broken up into a network company, a handset maker and a patent company. He said the group could also attract private equity buyers, and larger technology and hardware firms in the mobile business, such as Apple, Microsoft, and software company Oracle.

RIM shares were trading at nearly $70 in February, but are now worth just under $25, meaning the company has lost nearly two thirds of its value in eight months.
Source

·
Registered
448 Posts
Was this related to the RIM issues earlier today? Thought it was only at our company but later read online problems around the globe ...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agueybana_II;15286530
Was this related to the RIM issues earlier today? Thought it was only at our company but later read online problems around the globe ...
Well, they have entered day three of the issues. You know how consumers become when they don't get something for which they pay £5, its like its the end of the world and everything about the company has become crap.

But I think the real issue is from the business customers; a lot of them relies solely on BBM for their commercial communication and are losing money due to not being able to keep in touch. By not solving this problem fast, BB is going to lose a lot of customers as well as reputation.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also, their consumer side is definitely starting to show it's tech gap.
All my tech friends don't see anything good coming to RIM and their future handsets unless something is drastic is done. Thus all the hardcore BB users I know have either jumped ship, or will be doing so with their next phone.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've never owned a BB but I do feel bad for the company. They were hoping that enterprise users didn't mind that their phones were bland and just worked for email. When professionals realized that their personal phones were so much cooler, they asked themselves, "how come my BB doesn't do that"?

Hopefully this will light a fire under them to start crunching out some innovations.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Shame, I'm a student currently living in the city of Waterloo in ontario canada...which is where RIM is primarily located.

Just goes to show, in order to stay competitive innovations must be made in order to insure future success. Nokia and RIM did the exact same thing for far too long. Good bye!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
blackberries in venezuela are the number 1 selling phone, and they are so overpriced, even more than apple

those phones are crap, compared to others at the same price,

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin
View Post

Also, their consumer side is definitely starting to show it's tech gap.
All my tech friends don't see anything good coming to RIM and their future handsets unless something is drastic is done. Thus all the hardcore BB users I know have either jumped ship, or will be doing so with their next phone.

That is precisely why I went from my Bold 8900 to my Atrix. I absolutely loved my BB. For my job and such it was perfect. I could type emails and text messages as fast on that as most could on a PC keyboard. But after over 2 years on it, the phone started messing up and I needed a knew phone.

The phones they had out in March (and even now for that matter) are so far behind everyone else. I do miss my keyboard, but as far as the actual capabilities of the phone, to say they are no where close is an understatement.

I truly wish BB/RIM luck and hope they can get back to innovating and providing the great quality products they once were known for. I wont be the guinea pig though....

§

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.