Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really that good at making guides, but I'll give this a try.

Prerequisites:

Windows 7/8 (although it would probably be the same for XP / Server I just haven't tried them)

[email protected] v7 client (version v7.3.6 or older)

HFM.net

.NET Framework 4 (requirement for HFM.net)

Dropbox account or FTP/webspace

Step One:

Install HFM.net - I typically download the .MSI installer, and just install it to the default location. You can choose to install it however you would like, but once you are done, open it, and you should see something like this:

Step Two:

Configure your HFM.

From the Menu click 'Clients' then 'Add Client (v7)':

Add your v7 client information. In this example I am going to assume the v7 client is running on the same PC as the HFM installation:

You could use 'localhost' for the Address as well if HFM, and v7 are on the same rig. If they are not, but on the same network, then you can add the IP address of the PC with [email protected] on it. You will have to configure that [email protected] client to allow Remote Access, which I won't be getting into here.

You can click Test Connection, it should pass, then click OK, and you have:

Ok, now lets put our own information in the preferences. From the Menu click 'Edit' -> 'Preferences', then click the 'Web Settings' tab and replace harlem357's info with yours:

Now click to save.

Now you should have HFM running locally, and estimating your PPD values.

Go ahead and save that, File -> Save Configuration, you can name, and store it wherever, I just leave it in Documents and name it hfm. Lets set HFM to open that configuration upon load, Edit -> Preferences -> Startup & External tab, check 'Load Configuration File' and browse to where you just saved it:

Step Three:

Prepare Dropbox. The first thing you need to do is create a dropbox account if you don't have one already, and install the Dropbox application. Then, since Dropbox decided to change the Public folder by default, you will have to Enable the Public folder on your account:

Click that, and you should see a notification that the Public folder has been enabled, then a little text document on how to use the Public folder.

Create a new folder in the Public folder for your HFM webpages to sync with. I named mine 'Folding' for this example.

Now that Dropbox is ready to go, we can get back to setting up HFM.

Step Four:

Configure HFM to generate a Website to your directory you created in the 'Public' folder.

From Menu -> Edit -> Preferences. On the 'Scheduled Tasks' tab, check the box for 'Create a Website' under the Web Generation section, Upload Type to "Local Path", then set the "Target Path" to your local Dropbox folder you created in the Public folder:

I changed mine from the default 15, to 20 minutes, I think 3 updates an hour is enough, you can set that to whatever you want. I also uncheck 'Copy Log File to Target' because it just takes up extra space, and I never look at it.

The first time I set it up, I usually like to set the 'Web Generation' to 'After Full Refresh' click OK to get back to the main HFM screen, do a Full Refresh (F6), to generate the page, and then go back into Preferences and set it back to every XX minutes.

You can click 'Test Connection', and it should pass at this point. Click OK to save, now you will want to save your configuration again, so File -> Save Configuration.

At that point you should be all set.

To view your summary.html on the web, go into dropbox, Public folder, your 'Folding' directory (or whatever you called it), browse for 'summary.html', right-click -> 'Copy Public Link', then paste in your browser. You should see something similar to the 'My HFM' link in my sig. I put the link in my sig so I can easily check my HFM wherever I am, from my phone, laptop, tablet, Gramma's PC, etc.

Let me know if that is helpful, or if I need to clarify / improve anything. This is just meant to be a more modern, quick n easy guide to setting up HFM with dropbox, not necessarily an in-depth HFM tutorial. There are some other options in HFM I would recommend exploring, check out Zodac's Complete HFM Window 7 guide for that.

Optional, add more PCs to your HFM:

If you have more than one PC on your network folding, you can also monitor that in HFM. The first thing you will need to do is setup the [email protected] client to allow 'Remote Access'.

On the remote PC (One not running HFM)

Open up 'Advanced Control' -> Configure -> Remote Access tab.

Add a password, then allow the IP address of the PC running HFM. I have my router configured to use DHCP, so I just allow the entire subnet. You can manually specify a range of IPs too, ex 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.150, or whatever.

Click Save. At that point you must FULLY exit the folding client, and restart it for the new settings to take effect, so right-click the [email protected] system tray icon, and exit. You can't just exit [email protected] If you are running [email protected] as a service, then restart the service.

Then go back to your PC with HFM running, and add another client, just like the first one, but specify the IP address of your remote machine, and the password you setup in the step above.

Click test if you want, or OK, and you should see a second client added:

Optional, FTP settings:

In case you don't want to use dropbox, and have a FTP server/webspace to use. Basically the setup is the same as above, but instead of generating files locally to a dropbox folder using the "Local Path", choose the "FTP Server" option.

Here is an example using my HFM FTP settings:

The target path should be the folder you create on the FTP server for your HFM files, I named mine "folding".

------------------------

Seeing 0 PPD??

If you notice a WU that doesn't have a PPD estimate in HFM, that means your project summary list needs to be updated.

Click Tools -> Download Projects from Stanford. That will get you updated on the mainline projects.

After that click Edit -> Preferences, then 'Web Settings'

Change psummary.html to psummaryC.html

Then Download Projects from Stanford again.

·
back at it
4,776 Posts
I LOVE YOU MAN
THANK YOU SO MUCH

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Nice Guide! 2 Thumbs Up!
:thumbsups

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Sweet, just what I was planning on doing this afternoon!

Got my main rig up now, but when you get a chance, can you point me in the right direction on how to link two PC's up for the HFM monitoring. I have two connected through ethernet from NIC to NIC, but I didn't know what IP to give my secondary folding client. (obviously I can't use 127.0.0.1 lol)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102606345/Folding/summary.html

yay me (main rig)

·
Premium Member
9,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

not rushing you, but any update
tongue.gif
Oh, haha, I forgot actually. Sorry.

Why aren't you using a router / switch to network your PCs?

[edit]

Updated OP for adding 2nd PC. Let me know if that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis1127 View Post

Oh, haha, I forgot actually. Sorry.

Why aren't you using a router / switch to network your PCs?

[edit]
Updated OP for adding 2nd PC. Let me know if that helps.
my router is in a different room than my office and I only have one wireless USB dongle to share between my 2 PC's. I used to switch the dongle on the PC's every morning/evening to upload/download new WU's, but then I found out that I could attach the 2 PC's with an Ethernet cable and share the wireless connection from one PC to the other! Sort of a ghetto rig I suppose lol, I just didn't want to purchase a second $35 wireless dongle for the other PC. Other than folding, there's never really a need for both to be running at the same time with a need for the internet.

·
Ever Forward.
6,524 Posts
Can't get HFM to work on any of my systems, remote or local
:headscrat

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I know there was a guide on how to set up HFM with more than one piece of hardware and they each had separate names, how is that done?

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Really? That kind of sucks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank you for the guide, +1. Especially the hmtl web page generation. I can watch one network from another. Good stuff.
I'm into > 90F/32C room ambient summer now. Home Cpu clocks are backed off 500-700MHz to cope. Work has air.

Here are some of my ppds nvidia titanx, asus 980 ref,msi 760oc, and asus 750ti with various processors.

Does anyone have numbers for nvidia 960 and 970 cards ?

HFM Weber

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
970 can range from 380K-300K depending on the unit, 960 can do 220K-160K for the most part.

·
LN2 addict
1,529 Posts
Does anyone know how to make this work properly now that dropbox no longer offers public folders for the free account?

screen shot of html file opened from my computer

The only option now is a "shared link" and when you click the link, it takes you to dropbox online and you have to download the html file instead of just opening it. Even when you download it, it doesn't display correctly.

here is the "shared link" dropbox generates

Edit:
I made my own thread. If I get it working, I will link to that, or post the relevant info.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Can do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts