Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first things first, you have downloaded and installed gpu from stanford U and have fahmon running right?

This guide is for people who have had it running, and are looking to add another gpu folder to their mix.

If not, there are other guides here on how to install and monitor [email protected]

Shut everything down and install your new card

Fire up your computer with a second monitor running on your second vid card

Extend the desktop to the second monitor

Overclock that second card to a stable overclock (using rivatuner of course)

Now, unplug that card and shutdown your gpu folding (if it starts automatically)

We have to do this when no GPU folding is running

First of all, navigate to C:\\Program Files\\[email protected]\\[email protected]

Make a shortcut to your desktop, right click the shortcut and modify it

target: (copy this verbatum) "C:\\ProgramFiles\\[email protected]\\[email protected]\\[email protected]" -gpu 0
start in: (copy this verbatum)
"C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]"

(obviously you fill in your username, I dont want you using mine)

Next, navigate back to C:\\Program Files\\[email protected]\\[email protected]

Copy the whole folder, paste in C:\\Program Files, but name it C:\\Program Files\\folding at home 2

Now make a shortcut to this folder on your desktop

target: (copy this verbatum) "C:\\Program Files\\[email protected]\\[email protected]\\[email protected]" -gpu 1

start in: (copy this verbatum) "C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]"

(again, get your own username!)

You will see I named my folding GPU shortcuts as 1 and 2 on my desktop, you can name them Bob and Gary, or pink and lasagna if you want.

Next step, navigate to C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]

copy the whole file hit the "one up" button rename it [email protected] then paste

folder will be: C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]

ALMOST DONE!!!! Can you feel your GPU points racking up???

****IMPORTANT STEP.....follow these directions carefully*****

Go to: C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]

and open the client.cfg file with notepad

Change the machine ID to any number OTHER than 2, no spaces, look at mine for a reference

Last step...didnt think you would get here huh????

bring up fahmon and add the new client

should be: C:\\Documents and Settings\\USERNAME\\Application Data\\[email protected]\\

check your tray and it should have two icons like this:

save and close this notepad

Just sit back and watch those points accumulate

you can use as many cards as you want this way, just keep changing the shortcut number and the machine id number

anything I need to clarify or change please PM me

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'm going to give this a shot when the new cards come in...Looks good so far...

Thanks bro, you said it was coming...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

That was seriously like two hours to make, I have to hand it to the people who make how-tos, it is a lot of work

and yes, I see both gpu clients with fahmon

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Deskjockey, nice tutorial man...

I am having a slight issue though...

It seems the first card is rockin' nicely but the second one seems to have dropped considerably in PPD...Did you notice this and is it just a matter of it "catching up" or is this normal with multi GPUs folding from your experience...

5100 on the 88GT 512 SC
2900 on the 88GTS 640 = used to get 4400 by itself before...

Any ideas what it could be?

I'm debating if I want to fill the last slot with a lil 8800GS but with only a dual core not sure it will work good...hehe

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you're running xp then running both cards will force you to assign a core to each card. Right now you probably have them sharing the 2 cores right?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Light 117 View Post
If you're running xp then running both cards will force you to assign a core to each card. Right now you probably have them sharing the 2 cores right?
Actually no I set them each to a core...I mean it's not a huge deal it's free PPD since my farm boards only have 1 PCIe slot...FOR NOW hehe...

I just thought maybe I missed something and could squeeze more out of the second card...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'm still have an issue with my 2 cards...

They both work, can be seen in FahMon, each have their own core, cranking out points...BUT...

Card in slot #1 runs normally 1m##s per % for 5200 PPD...

Card in slot #3 runs 3m##s per % for 2500 PPD...Kind of leads me to believe it's running at x8 instead of x16...If that makes any sense...

Anyone have any idea of how to get normal PPD from a card in a lower slot...

I hope that makes sense to someone, I'm not sure if I get it lol...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignity View Post
Have you tried changing the affinity on the second card so that each one uses 2 cores maybe?

I really don't know as I've not set mine up yet.... *sigh* waiting for eVGA

Not for any extended period of time...I use that set affinity program and from time to time they start at core 0 and 1 but migrate to 1 and 1...

I may try that tonight and see what happens...I wish I had more then 2 cores to mess with on the Main Rig...

I'll try 1 and 0+1 and see if that helps out...Good call Indignity...

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
quick question. I followed the guide faithfully and both clients seem to be running well. My question is. Why are they showing identical work units? Do they just need some time to work?

EDIT: I just had to wait for new work units. Now it shows the 8600GTS working properly. Great Guide!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am using the console version and all I did to get 2 gpu cleints working was create a copy of the FaH folder and rename it with a 2, make the appropriate shortcuts with the gpu flag and edit the machine id for the second client. Not that different except there is no folders in app data for the console client.

anyway thanks

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Col. Newman
View Post

I am using the console version and all I did was create a copy of the folder and rename it with a 2, make the appropriate shortcuts with the gpu flag and edit the machine id for the second client. Not that different I guess but there is no folders or anything in app data obviously for console.

anyway thanks

The Apptdata folder is a hidden folder. Did you go into control panel and enable hidden folders?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
The Apptdata folder is a hidden folder. Did you go into control panel and enable hidden folders?
I know it a hidden folder I go in there all the time, but there isn't a folder for folding in there because the console client doesn't install you just run it. Anyway that's what I was trying to say.
Maybe I should have been more clear and ramble less, I will try to clarify it

·
Registered
795 Posts
when i launch gpu 2 i get this error at present your GPU is not supportef or you need a current driver. You may with to consider running our standard client, witch you can download at folding.Stanford.edu

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I get the same thing with my 4850 X2 I assume the core doesn't like the dual GPUs. But I thought I read somewhere that they had fixed the issue

·
Premium Member
8,612 Posts
awesome guide......got two gpu clients going so far........now one FahCore_11.exe runs fine......the second comes on for a few seconds then disappears and the tray icon says results are succefully sent in like 10 seconds.....i'm lost.....plz help

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Now will something like this work for Vista?
I want to get my 4850 as my primary gaming thing, no folding, and have a 8800gs in the background folding.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
From what I have heard you can't have a ATI card and a NVIDIA card installed at the same time they don't like each other.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts