Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Open the BOINC Manager

*NOTE* If you are running BOINC on multiple computers it is best to use one system as the base system, and add all projects to that system before adding them to other systems. Using one system that has all of your projects will help to keep all of your stats organized under one cpid on BOINC Stats, Free-DC, etc.

2) From the "Simple View", click on "Add Project".

2a) From the "Advanced View", click on "Tools" and then click on "Add projects or account manager".

3) Select "Add project" and click "Next".

4) You can select the project that you would like to add from the "Projects" dialog box. If the project you would like to run is not listed; simply enter the project URL into the "Project URL:" box to add it to BOINC Manager. For this example I will be adding "[email protected]". Click on the project, and then click "Next"

*Note* - The majority of BOINC projects have similar installation procedures, so this guide should apply to 95% of the BOINC projects. The most notable exception is "World Community Grid". For a complete guide on installing the WCG project see the WCG installation page at: World Community Grid Help

5) If you are a new user select: "No, new user" if you are an existing user select: "Yes, existing user", and then enter the email address and password you would like to have associated with the BOINC project.

*Important* In order for BOINCStats, Free-DC, and other stats sites to properly track your stats, it is best to use the same email address and user name for all BOINC projects. After entering your email address and password click "Next".

6) The project has now been added to the BOINC Manager. Click "Finish" to go to the project page, add your user-name, and join the overclock.net BOINC team.

7) Enter a user-name. Once again it is best to use the same user-name for all projects. The Country and ZIP/Postal code entries are optional, and those fields can be left blank. After entering your user-name click "Ok".

8) Enter "overclock.net" in the "Keywords" box and click "Search".

9) Click on "Overclock.net"

10) Click on "Join this team"

11) You will then be taken to your homepage for the selected project. On this page you can change your preferences for BOINC, for the project, and you can also change other account info. I would recommend bookmarking your project's account page, so that you can easily access it in the future.

12) Close the browser window. From the BOINC "Simple View", click on the tab next to the project name and then click on the new project. After selecting the new project, click on "Project Commands" and then click on "Update".

12a) From the "Advanced View" select the new project and then click "Update".

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
BOINC newbie, this for a GPU or CPU? And does it matter which project you pick?

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
There are different teams for different projects from what I can tell. I think World Community Grid and MilkyWay are the main ones we support at the moment.

And if you have a GPU (with the latest drivers), it will automatically be used, but only some projects have support:

nVidia:
• GPUgrid.net
[email protected]
[email protected] (Double precision GPU required)
[email protected] (cuda offline)
• Lattice
• Collatz Conjecture
• PrimeGrid (AP26)

ATi:
• Collatz Conjecture
[email protected] (Double precision GPU required)
[email protected]

Source.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
I'll bug ya when I set this up Z, clean out your inbox

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Pretty simpler to set up, and if you've managed Folding, I can't see where you might get stuck.

But I'll be here for you.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Zodac, you might want to add something saying switch to "Advanced" view, I've found that I get marginally better PPD like that (a couple percent)

• Rep+
Reactions: zodac

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Right, I'll add that in (with SS).

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Yes. When you're sent to the web page when you first join a project (and only 3 projects support ATi), go to Your Account> [Project Name] Preferences. There's an option that asks if you want to use your CPU for BOINC. Say no to that.

I learnt a lot in my first day of BOINC.

·
Premium Member
18,295 Posts
Boinc is very easy to setup all gui based and you can modify each project to use cpu or gpu as needed.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
BIONC home page down for anyone else?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aqualoon
View Post

BIONC home page down for anyone else?

Yes. It is for me

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Ok glad to know it's just not me, will setup BIONC another night then.

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Yep; down here too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
One thing that some people might overlook (I know I did), is when setting up projects to use the GPU, make sure to set it to use the GPU on the project's website configuration (and uncheck use CPU if you want to run another project on the CPU (or just don't want it to use the CPU)). Also, in BOINC's preferences you might want to check "Use GPU which computer is in use". It took me a while to figure out why the GPU projects weren't running, and that was why.

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt1288
View Post

One thing that some people might overlook (I know I did), is when setting up projects to use the GPU, make sure to set it to use the GPU on the project's website configuration (and uncheck use CPU if you want to run another project on the CPU (or just don't want it to use the CPU)). Also, in BOINC's preferences you might want to check "Use GPU which computer is in use". It took me a while to figure out why the GPU projects weren't running, and that was why.

The Projects use the GPUs by default (as long as the drivers are up to date). So as long as the GPU is recognised (you will see a note in "Messages"), it'll be used.

And I was running 3 projects all on the CPU when I was setting them up; worked nicely for me.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Looking on where to join team Overclock.net

Also, how do I know this is using my GPU and not my CPU?

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
It will use CPU and GPU (if supported) by default. If you want it to use one or the other, click the project icon at the bottom of the BOINC Manager and click "My Preferences".

A web page will open. You should see "[Project Name] Preferences". Click that, and you'll be able to turn off CPU or GPU.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Thanks Z, have it setup so it only uses GPU now...I have yet to see a "Join this team" button tho...maybe it just doesn't like Chrome, will try out IE

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Which project(s) are you trying to join?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts