Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here goes another guide

This guide is to help you wire up your AUX PSU for your TEC which wire goes where where the relay goes where the molex goes all those things are explained in this guide so enjoy

first of heres what you need to get this going:

1. The Aux PSU (DUH!)
  2. Crimpers
  3. AC socket
  4. Relay (Recommended to have a Crydom Solid State Relay Model# D2425
  5. ring terminals
  6. screw and nuts
  7. female spade connectors
  8. TEC
  9. LOTS of wire
  10. other little things you will se as you go along the guide
a closer look:

crimpers

My happy extra 320W TEC

RELAYS:

WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT USE!

BEST Relay to use

Lots of wire

Ring terminals can get em from mcmaster and this assorted box was pretty cheap aswell

screw and nuts

and of course the AUX PSU ( this is a Meanwell 320W 12V model)

closer look at the voltage controller

now the steps on how to do this:

1) cut the wires that will go to the TEC the appropriate size from your PSU's +V and -V to where your TEC leads are AND crimp ring terminals on the end (for a stronger hold what I do is solder the wire onto the terminal once I have crimped it... this removes the fear of the wire coming out of the terminal)

2) Get your crydom Relay and all the required items together:

- 2 x ring terminals
- 1 x female molex
- 2 x female molex connectors (sorry about the bad lingo
)
- some wire
- and of course the relay

3) crimp the wires and molex connectors

4) connect the wires to the relay (the red wire goes on the +3 and the black wire goes on the 4) the +3 goes to the +12V slot in the female molex and the black wire goes to the ground wire next to it

another view (from ira-k's relay wiring guide
):

5) now get your AC socket and etc.. ready

closer look at the AC socket... I picked this up from the clearance section in sidewindercomputers.com heres the link

6) take two lengths of wire and crimp a ring terminal on one side and then a female spade connector on the other side and then connect a wire to the ground and the next one on the connector labeled 'N'

7) take a short length of red wire and crimp spade connectors on each side

8) connect one side to the connector labeled 'L' and the other on the Relay connector labeled '2'

9) now take a length of wire and crimp a ring terminal on one side and a female spade connector and connect the ring terminal to the relay's '1' connector

from left to right the wires are ground, 'N' and 'L'

a look at the relay wired up

10) connect the spade connectors on to the AC adapter like such:

the red wire is 'L' the female spade connector going to the top is ground and the other one is 'N'

11) now remove a screw from +V and -V on the PSU

12) connect the wires you cut earlier for the TEC the red on the +V and the black on the -V and cover it with its nice little cover

13) crimp ring terminals to your TEC leads

alot of space for solder and that will keep it in there for sure

14) now you can connect the ring terminals together with a screw and a nut each and its done:

oh and for those wondering what i think of the other relay:

PERIOD.

thanks for reading
and I hope I helped

any questions you can post here or PM usually will replay in a few hours

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! that's exactly what I need!!! It expands on ira's relay guide adding in hooking up both the PSU and TEC, thanks!!!

edit: STICKY!!!

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Great guide! I guess I'll have to put this one with the proofing guide...

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Hey its a good one, sure beats having ot explain it all the time..

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
thanks again omar, quick question when you first fire it up how do you go about testing and adjusting the voltage for the tec? I read somewhere that it's actually better to run it on lower voltage?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that would be ira's area to answer at this moment havent had enough up time with my main rig to really tell I just kept tweaking it up and down (atm I am idleing (stock) at -15C) but thats only when i raised the Voltage to 20V and thats it not really tweaking

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Thats what I do to. There is a pic of a litle rheo in the front of the unit up above, use a small Phillips head screw-driver and back that all the way down to the right, be careful not to push in on it to hard, its kind of flimsy.

Mine will go down to around 21 volts, they are all a little different, yours may go lower or it might not go down as far. A little multi-meter is a good way to check your voltage out with, you can do it easily on the front wire lugs.

Let your rig burn in for a while then load it up on Prime for a hour or so and see what your load temp is. Then just raise your voltage a hair at a time and re-test your temp's. Go all the way to your max. Its a good idea to record your temp's at each voltage setting so you'll know where you want to run it at. Which should hopefully be your lowest recorded temp's....

I've been wanting to get a 15vdc MeanWell and try running my 427W at around 18 volts and see how it does. On this 45Nm duallie I get almost as good of temp's using my 320W TEC. That shows me that all the extra voltage and its extra heat dump with the big TEC is being wasted on this 45. With my old 90Nm AMD's the 427W gave me around a 10-15C better load temp's. Either that or this weird actively cooled res thingy I made is a lot more efficient with the reduced heat dump, or the 3/4" inlet on my big TEC block cools the hotside of the 320W a whole lot better since it covers so much of the little 50mm TEC.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
ok, man I feel like I should be paying you guys for services rendered you've been helping me so much

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts