Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Sounds like a plan, yeah 24/7 is a whole different game. I over kill on mine, I try not to, but I kind of like doing it..

·
Super Moderator
23,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yomama9388 View Post
Well now that this thread is stickied I'll be updating it when I get my phase back, should be pretty soon.

Sounds Great!! I thought that I might as well sticky this one and make the gallery thread official at the same time.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Do you have a link for the frostking and the shop towels having a hard time finding these things online...

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I got my shop towels and Frostking at homedepot but here's a link to Frostking online.

You can substitute shop towels for paper towels (not as good) or you can insulate with kneaded eraser instead.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yomama9388 View Post
I got my shop towels and Frostking at homedepot but here's a link to Frostking online.

You can substitute shop towels for paper towels (not as good) or you can insulate with kneaded eraser instead.
Thanks yomama; ill look at homedepot to see if I can just get it locally...

·
Registered
308 Posts
there is always a possibility of condensation getting to your board, the best thing you can do is insulate as thoroughly as you can, i prefer kneadable eraser as a base layer, you can get a very good cover on the board using it

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by voklskier4452 View Post
there is always a possibility of condensation getting to your board, the best thing you can do is insulate as thoroughly as you can, i prefer kneadable eraser as a base layer, you can get a very good cover on the board using it

Yeah kneadable eraser is the best method. This guide is a little outdated, I'll update it next time I have to reinsulate.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
I use a combo of eraser and liquid tape...works great! ...still trying to figure out how to keep PCI-E slots from freezing up though

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
I use a combo of eraser and liquid tape...works great! ...still trying to figure out how to keep PCI-E slots from freezing up though

Just insulate around and behind the pcie slot. Then put some grease into the slot. Probably the safest way although you might be able to make it airtight if you put eraser around the slot with the card inserted to create an airtight seal.

·
2,476 Posts
+1 Nice work, I am bookmarking this!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
all I do is liberally paint the entire MOBO and GPU with liquid electrical tape and throw vaseline in the PCI-E and DIMM slots as well as the CPU socket and you are good to go, its a hell of a lot faster than spending hours with kneadable eraser

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tha d0ctor View Post
all I do is liberally paint the entire MOBO and GPU with liquid electrical tape and throw vaseline in the PCI-E and DIMM slots as well as the CPU socket and you are good to go, its a hell of a lot faster than spending hours with kneadable eraser
I used to use grease and liquid electrical tape and found it a huge hassle whenever you upgrade. Getting rid of that stuff is a PAIN. Now I'm insulated with kneaded eraser 24/7 under phase and have had no problems with condensation. I think spending an hour doing kneaded is worth not trashing the board, you can just keep it on til your next session

I'll try and upgrade this guide with my updated insulation methods next time I have to insulate.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
will insulating your motherboard permanently (chiller for daily use) result in any overheating near the vrm area? I'll be using either neoprene, or Elastomeric Closed Cell Foam. (which one is better?)

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by badatgames18;14694822
will insulating your motherboard permanently (chiller for daily use) result in any overheating near the vrm area? I'll be using either neoprene, or Elastomeric Closed Cell Foam. (which one is better?)
No, the low temperature helps with that issue (sort of spreads through the board). I have actually revised my insulation method to using kneaded eraser.

Follow the guide I linked above, I use neoprene on top of the eraser so my layer's actually look like so:

Cooling apparatus of choice
neoprene gasket (circle cut out over cpu)
shop towel
kneaded eraser
motherboard

Make sure to get a good seal with the kneaded eraser if it's for 24/7 use. I do not recommend using ANY kind of dielectric grease in your socket. I ran phase change for months at a time without any problems. It's all about the seal.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama9388;14696730
No, the low temperature helps with that issue (sort of spreads through the board). I have actually revised my insulation method to using kneaded eraser.

Follow the guide I linked above, I use neoprene on top of the eraser so my layer's actually look like so:

Cooling apparatus of choice
neoprene gasket (circle cut out over cpu)
shop towel
kneaded eraser
motherboard

Make sure to get a good seal with the kneaded eraser if it's for 24/7 use. I do not recommend using ANY kind of dielectric grease in your socket. I ran phase change for months at a time without any problems. It's all about the seal.

Hope this helps.
yep... thanks! i'll be follow this guide and post pics when done
smile.gif

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you for the insight. rep+
thumb.gif

21 - 40 of 40 Posts