Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Content now outdated - Do not follow

I just wanted to share how I updated my cpu microcode to the latest version. I use to mod my roms using MMTool or Ubutool and all was good. These days this is not 100 percent possible anymore due to compatibility issues with Aptio V and MMTool writing to X99 roms. As I understand efi files still work but couldn't even update the microcodes using those tools anymore and we are forced to do it manually until UBU supports X99. So until then ...

Step 1:

Get your hands on UBUTool and drill down the CPUI folder until you find the HSW-e folder containing all the microcodes:

Step 2:

Run UBUTool on your bios file and have it display the details of what version microcode is currently installed:

Step 3:

Find the matching microcode file corresponding to the date just displayed and open it in a hex editor.
Then copy the first 16 digits displayed in hexadecimal by right clicking:

Step 4:

Open your bios file in UEFITool included inside the UBUTool folder and search for that 16 digit sequence:

Step 5:

Double click on the search result in the bottom result panel. This will take you to the right GUID file
where your microcode is located:

From there right click on that GUID displayed in the main window
and do a 'extract body' and save the file somewhere:

Go to your old microcode file that you found in the HSWe folder from Step 3 and scroll to the very end of the file.
Pay attention to the address of where it ends. In my case it was 6FF0:

Step 6:

Open the newer version microcode in a hexedit, select everything and copy, and paste into
the first half of the extracted body from step 5 up to the address you noted before at 6FF0.
Hexedit will warn you the file size has changed. Ignore it. Save the file.

Step 7:

Go back to UEFITool and find that GUID file from earlier, and do a 'replace body' selecting
the file you saved from the last step:

Step 8:

Save the file

Step 9:

Use Ubutool to verify that your changes are correct:

Step 10:

Flash and cross your fingers!

Notes: The reason you copy paste into the first half of the extracted microcode file is that there are also Xenon microcodes residing in the second half. I really didn't care
for those but if you wanted you could probably find updated ones from intel and use the same technique to replace them.

Also it would have been quicker to just search for the UUID within UEFITool to save time. That GUID is '17088572-377F-44EF-8F4E-B09FFF46A070' but there is two of them so make sure you pick the right one!

Lastly you can this very same technique to update Raid Rst Roms if you knew what the corresponding GUIDs are. I believe there is a tutorial on that one floating around on Win-raid. All this not possible without UBUTool of course..

Hope this helps others..

Cheers!

Edit: Lordkag from Win-Raid.com has brought to light an easier way to mod the microcode or rather there is a mod that allows UBUTool to work with bios files that UBU couldn't work with before. So I quote Lordkag:
Quote:To have UBU support, you just have to remove FFS_ATTRIB_FIXED (useless on Volume Top Files), in other words, change file attribute from 0C to 08. You could do this with UEFITool, by extracting 1BA0062E-C779-4582-8566-336AE8F78F09 and in that file change offset 0x13 from value 0C to 08, save the file, then replace it. The problem is that UEFITool will also remove the trampoline for recovery (CodeRush can offer more details). To avoid this, open your E7883IMS.110 file in hex editor and change offset FFE0C8 from 95 to 99, then change offset FFE0CB from 0C to 08. You can double check the result with UEFITool. After this change, your file will work in UBU for microcode update. See the picture bellow, you need to change only the two values, but keep the top red line unchanged.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad one person got some benefit from it. Next up will talk Sata Rst rom modding.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,475 Posts
Just curious, why is microcode update needed?

Any benefits like higher oc stability from doing so?

·
Linux Gamer
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

Seeing as davidm71 hasn't responded...Updating the microcode (insofar as I could tell) typically adds support for newer CPUs. Likely bugfixes and optimizations too.

I've seen a couple (unsubstantiated) claims of slightly more stable clocks on different microcodes, though not for X99. Personally, updates caused me nothing but grief.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

I have read pros and cons for doing MC updates. The updates instruct the cpu how to handle certain instructions and Intel releases them to improve the functionality of how the cpu processes data.
This could have negative consequences as well such as compatibility issue could arise though I have never experienced that effect. Also Intel releases updates to fix major bugs such as the TSX instruction set bug in Haswell-E processors or rather just remove them entirely. Intel wasn't able to fix it just white it out. Kind of a let down if you ask me. Though there is a microcode update that removes that feature. I updated the MC in the hopes that it would fix a double post bug. It didn't but was cool little mod in its own right. If only we had access to Intel's internal change log we could decide if its worth updating or not. One could only hope.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
So this could be used with Asus Z170?
I always used UBU with my Gigabyte boards but it doesn't work with my Hero's BIOS. Still might be a little more than I want to step into...with UBU it was simple but that option is out.
I know there is at least one microcode update for Skylake.

·
Registered
597 Posts
why are there two modules of cpu microcode?
see picture

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post

Notes: The reason you copy paste into the first half of the extracted microcode file is that there are also Xenon microcodes residing in the second half. I really didn't care
for those but if you wanted you could probably find updated ones from intel and use the same technique to replace them.

Also it would have been quicker to just search for the UUID within UEFITool to save time. That GUID is '17088572-377F-44EF-8F4E-B09FFF46A070' but there is two of them so make sure you pick the right one!

Lastly you can this very same technique to update Raid Rst Roms if you knew what the corresponding GUIDs are. I believe there is a tutorial on that one floating around on Win-raid. All this not possible without UBUTool of course..

Hope this helps others..

Cheers!

Lordkag:
I'm sure I'm following every step correctly in trying to update just the microcode on a Rampage V Extreme bios and when I check in UBU it's not updated.
redface.gif

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarWolf View Post

I'm sure I'm following every step correctly in trying to update just the microcode on a Rampage V Extreme bios and when I check in UBU it's not updated.
redface.gif
Don't quote me on this, but I think ASUS X99 BIOSes seem to be not as easily modded from what I've read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to update an ASUS X99-E WS microcode to support BRW-E, but also an ES CPU that is HSW-E. The same ES HSW-E CPU boots without any problems on an ASUS X99 Deluxe & X99-A USB3.1.

I have extracted, edited, and replaced the 1BA0062E-C779-4582-8566-336AE8F78F09 per LordKag's instructions, but where the heck is the E7883IMS.110 file?

I assume these are still necessary with UBU? I tried just running UBU, but it does not seem like it is patching the microcode and I have been hesitant to flash it until I know I have completed the steps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Messing around trying to get bw-ep to work on my X99 sabertooth board.

Asus hasn't added support for any of the Xeon V4s to their X99 boards, but they do support bw-e i7s.
Is it possible to nab the microcode from their X99 workstation (supports Xeon v4) and just swap it into the sabertooth bios?

I'm a bit confused as to why there are two sets of each microcode update, the earlier bios revisions don't have that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello i understand the proces.... but.... how to delete the microcode?
I want to delete my microcode with UEFITool but i don't know how.
Can i just delete the whole body of that microcode?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to make a few corrections to this guide as if your microcode files differ in size it wont work. What you need to do is use Uefitool A40 version to see the FIT table and double click on the cpu microcode details on the table. That takes you to the GUID of the file containing the microcodes. Extract it and copy paste the microcode data in a hex editor replacing the data holding the old microcodes. This may change the file size. Take note of the differential in size. Save the file and back in Uefitool replace the microcode file you extracted earlier and save. I had to use an older version of Uefitool to update the file as A40 refused to replace the microcode file. From there load your bios file in a hex editor and search for _FIT_ and adjust the table file locations to match their new actual locations just in case the new microcodes were bigger than before. The addresses be listed in reverse little endian notation under the FIT table. Make changes and save. Done.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Attention moderator this guide has an error that I need access to editing start post to fix. Recommend all who are following to not use this guide until it can be edited.

The problem is it is no longer advisable to copy paste microcodes in the master bios file (unless they are exact same size).

Propper way would be to extract the microcode file using Uefitool, edit the file, and reinsert back into the bios file.

Then edit FIT table.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.