Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always find the right tool makes a job a whole lot easier. As evidenced by my collection of tools in the basement (sometimes price does make the right tool unobtainable - no matter how useful I might find a cnc machine... the wife says no)

Anyway I recently sleeved my PSU and found the double bent staples to simply rock at removing the 24 pin - PCIe pins etc... but I found it to really fail when it came to pulling the 4 pins out of the molex plugs. Being impatient, cheap and fairly handy I decided to make my own.

Materials needed:
1 Nail - sorry I don't know the size, it was one from a group that's box has long since been thrown away.
2 dremmel/hacksaw/file etc...
3 drill with 7/64 drill bit
4 a little oil (you are drilling metal...)
5 bench vice - or other such device to keep the nail in place

Step 1: Throw the nail in your vice

Step 2: cut off the tip of the nail - I like to file down the cut edge a little bit

Step 3: Using you drill - drill into the axis of the nail as close to center as you can - remembering to use some oil to save your bit

Step 4: Remove those pesky pins!

quick and easy - took me longer to make the post than it did to make the tool. Sorry for the crap pictures.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Top idea, looks like a standard 4" nail to me, as long as it's thicker than the pin, you're good to go

+Rep

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

thicker than the pin and small enough to get inside the housing - the white molex plugs seem to have more clearance than some of the sleeker looking black ones - like the ones corsair uses... but this lil tool did the trick

Edit: btw how's eve treating ya?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLiquid View Post
Thanks

thicker than the pin and small enough to get inside the housing - the white molex plugs seem to have more clearance than some of the sleeker looking black ones - like the ones corsair uses... but this lil tool did the trick

Edit: btw how's eve treating ya?
I was going to drop you a mail about that, installed yesterday and still on the training module, it's a huge game and reminds me of a game i played years n years ago called Elite ( we're talking BBc Apple computer lol )

I've been a FPS & WoW player for years, so this looks like a nice change, when are due back online?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Dude, you need to make an ATX pin remover!!! (like the one FrozenCPU and PerformancePCS's sell for $20, except make it and sell it to me for $5 (I need one...or a few if I break them often)

+REP for this (wish I had a workshop to make one myself)

Wish I could double-rep for EVE references....just remember that the Guiding Hand Social Club is always watching you!

·
Banned
882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExperimentX
View Post

Dude, you need to make an ATX pin remover!!! (like the one FrozenCPU and PerformancePCS's sell for $20, except make it and sell it to me for $5 (I need one...or a few if I break them often)

Wish I could double-rep for EVE references....just remember that the Guiding Hand Social Club is always watching you!

99 Cent Store, buy a pack of Staples... + ??? = PROFIT?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExperimentX View Post

I have tried making ATX removers - best one was a paper clip that I pounded with a 3 lb hammer and filed down a little... Frankly I always end up just using bent staples. I really find them to work well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bully View Post
I was going to drop you a mail about that, installed yesterday and still on the training module, it's a huge game and reminds me of a game i played years n years ago called Elite ( we're talking BBc Apple computer lol )

I've been a FPS & WoW player for years, so this looks like a nice change, when are due back online?
I should be back on line as soon as corsair sends my psu back. They had the 850TX on order and weren't due to get em back till the 21st. So hopefully soon. The lappy does ok for some things but I miss my i7

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
I thought the Molex pins are held in by little tabs on either side of the pin. A Molex pin remover pushes those tabs in so that the pin slides out.

I'm under the impression that this tool forces the pin out by bending the tabs backwards.

Sorry if I'm mistaken. Pics are kinda blurry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaLLeNAn9eL
View Post

I thought the Molex pins are held in by little tabs on either side of the pin. A Molex pin remover pushes those tabs in so that the pin slides out.

I'm under the impression that this tool forces the pin out by bending the tabs backwards.

Sorry if I'm mistaken. Pics are kinda blurry.

This nail mod does the same job as a shop bought tool by sliding over the pin and depressing the tabs allowing you to remove the pin

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bully
View Post

This nail mod does the same job as a shop bought tool by sliding over the pin and depressing the tabs allowing you to remove the pin

Ahh okay, I missed the part where he drills down the center of the nail to create a cavity.

·
Oh Harro
674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502
View Post

An empty ink tube from a cheap pen works for me. =]

I found the BIC cheapo clicky pens work great for female Molex connectors. Just remove the ink tube and use the housing.

·
Oh Harro
674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HSG502 View Post
The housing? You mean the small white things that look like little bullets?
Oops I am very sorry to mislead you. The pen is actually a PaperMate Clicky Pen, Take a look at the attached photos:
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imrac
View Post

Oops I am very sorry to mislead you. The pen is actually a PaperMate Clicky Pen, Take a look at the attached photos:

awesome! too bad i dont have any of those pens =[

I wonder if anybody has a cheap way of taking off the female molex connections?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts