Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is aimed at getting people the most space for their PSP for the least price.

First, MicroSDHC cards are rather cheap and beefy on space. The Photofast adapter is great because it lets you get TWO MicroSD(HC) cards in one adapter for a up to 32GB total space! (16GB x 2)

I've heard you can use a single card or two different sizes but it's probably best two have two identical same size cards. Make sure to format them in the adapter inside you psp, not your PC.

Photofast CR-5400 $5.41 (w/free shipping)
Dual MicroSD/MicroSDHC -> MS Pro Duo Adapter (MAX 32GB TOTAL)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16489

Second, you'll need MicroSDHC cards depending on how much stuff you want to put on your PSP.

These vary in price but here's a google product search link that should help show cheapest for varying sizes:

4GB MicroSDHC cards
8GB MicroSDHC cards
16GB MicroSDHC cards

Amazon.com has decent prices as well for MicroSDHC cards. Prices again will vary some depending where you live and some come in packages with adapters.
(Lowest price when I ordered was from Blue Harbor Online and they came with free Sandisk SD adapters.
)

I'd recommend avoiding Ebay.com because there are a lot of fakes and non-genuine products floating around on there. It's your prerogative though.

Lastily, I want to show a comparison of prices including shipping showing CR-5400 w/2xMicroSDHC cards -vs- Normal MS Pro Duo Memorystick. Keep in mind you don't need really more then one CR-5400 as well.

(2x) 4GBMicroSDHC+CR-5400 = $23.39
(2x) 8GBMicroSDHC+CR-5400 = $26.89
(2x) 16GBMicroSDHC+CR-5400 = $107.31

8GB MS Pro Duo MemoryStick = $30.90
16GB MS Pro Duo MemoryStick = $69.99
32GB MS Pro Duo MemoryStick = *DON'T EXIST!*

Now it seems crazy to spend $100+ on 32GB total when 16gb is nearly 1/4 the price but if you sleep on a bed of hundred dollar bills and want 32GB in your psp you can do it.

Anyhow, hope this little guide helps some people save a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Awesome! +rep!

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
i have already done this with my psp with dual 8gb. however i have bought numerous sdhc cards from ebay with no problem. apparently those are yet to be faked, unlike the duo's, which i have a fake 16 gb laying around here somewhere....

also, with the cr5400's, the black ones are FAKE!!!! they will work ok, but must be formatted together using hp format too, windows and psp refust to format cards.

EDIT: BTW GREAT WRITE UP FOR THOSE UNAWARE OF THIS CHEAP/EXCELLENT METHOD

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Nice guide, I've known about this...was gonna do it but forgot

Question: Would I benefit from getting a Class 6 MicroSDHC? Or will I be fine with either a Class 4 or 2 card?

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Nice idea! Been looking for a replacement for my 1GB Pro Duo I got with my PSP back in '07.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 View Post
Nice guide, I've known about this...was gonna do it but forgot

Question: Would I benefit from getting a Class 6 MicroSDHC? Or will I be fine with either a Class 4 or 2 card?
The higher the class the faster the transfer rate.

No lag issues on class 2.

Read up on how to convert .cso -> .iso if you ever experience any lag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
i have already done this with my psp with dual 8gb. however i have bought numerous sdhc cards from ebay with no problem. apparently those are yet to be faked, unlike the duo's, which i have a fake 16 gb laying around here somewhere....

also, with the cr5400's, the black ones are FAKE!!!! they will work ok, but must be formatted together using hp format too, windows and psp refust to format cards.

EDIT: BTW GREAT WRITE UP FOR THOSE UNAWARE OF THIS CHEAP/EXCELLENT METHOD

Here's a excellent picture reference on how to spot fakes from photofast:

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
ya i bought it back 6 months ago, and only limitation i have is occasionally cant copy a single file 2+ gb in size, says its full, but i can do 10 files that are 1gb at same time

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
arent micro sd's MUCH slower? i have them on my phone and there slooooow when i attach it to my comp to tranfer 4gb+ files..and its a class6.... for one i saw a kid play gta on his psp off his card and it laged

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
i have played roughly 50+ games off of my photofast, and the gta's are the ONLY games to ever lag. i believe it is because of the chichen loader i use which is running off of the ram, not internal memory, restricting the available memory to gta. although im going to be testing my theory with an official 1gb psp memory stick duo that came with psp.

as for your phone, im ASSUMING your using a data cable and the phone as a card reader. phones are extremely slow. even the newest HTC Touch Pro, that phone is faster, but not as fast as the sd card reader adapter, or usb adapter.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistum Id View Post
Than add this, the Photofast CR3100 to maximize to 64GB for the PSP.
If you want 64GB you can use the cr-3100 but it's much bigger, hangs off the back and most people internalize it where the UMD drive is.

To do so you can remove the black plastic shell to make it much smaller. You'll need to take your psp apart to fish the ribbon cable over and plug it in the MS Pro Duo slot. A small hole is also needed in the UMD bay inside to get it over towards the MS Pro Duo slot. The ribbon cable has to be wrapped around to fit in the slot.

More pictures and info on this here.

The slots are also not locking, which means you can have a card slide out.

The CR-3100 is $28.31 on DX.

Cheapest 32GB SD Cards go for about $80 dollars each.

So that's about $188.31 for 64Gb.

Now here is some babe modeling both adapaters.

Armenian and green read what I said earlier:

Quote:
Read up on how to convert .cso -> .iso if you ever experience any lag.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Wow never knew about this. I'm gonna go down this route instead of buying a 16gb memory stick pro duo. I can always buy 1 16GB and buy another down the road right? Beats having only 2GB now anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts