Overclock.net banner

GUIDE: Multi-GPU2 Folding Guide

12661 122
Downloadable Folders:

Naf's Quad Multi-GPU2 Folder!

*Remember to change your username or all your PPD shall belong to me!

------------------------------------------
I know there is another multi-gpu folding guide out there but here is my take on it.

i've had hits and misses with multi-gpu folding at the beginning. sometimes i would get 1x gpu folding as a service and sometimes it isn't. now i got fed up with the whole folding as a service. i like knowing that i started the program and not by itself.

i noticed that my second gpu never started by itself so i figured i would give something else a little try.

Now.. i'm going to be assuming that you have all the dummy plugs or monitors plugged into each gpu. Also remember that X-Fire or SLI MUST be disabled for multi-gpu2.

if you do need to make dummy plugs: CyberDruid's 30 Sec Dummy Plug

first download the FIRST client for GPU2. the one with nvidia viewer will crash your comp if you try viewing but if you use the first one.. and you accidentally hit "Display" viewer, it'll say "Bad Command Line." and nothing will happen to your comp.

now install like normal.

then goto the directory that you installed GPU2 into and select that folder..

then copy it to your desktop.

now uninstall GPU2 through control panel.

now when you open up your folder on the desktop there will only be ONE folder. copy and paste X number of times for however many GPU clients you want minus 1 = X. you usually have a maximum of 4x gpus so copy and paste 3x. (if you have all GX2s then you'll copy a total of 7x)

now rename the copied ones starting with 1-3. i usually leave the first one blank as it is gpu 0

once you are done labeling the folders. close the window and drag your new folding folder into your Program Files (Program Files (x86) if you are on 64bit)*.

i prefer starting from the last gpu because it makes setting up alot easier than doing it ascending. so go into the last folder labeled 3. if you are missing the cudart file. you can dl it at the bottom of this guide then copy and paste into each folder.

now type in your username whatever it might be.

then goto the advanced tab.

i like using 5min interval to save my work. its not too long or too short. at the bottom, in additional parameters put "-gpu 3" and set the machine ID to anything but 1 or 2. i like using the even numbers so this one would be ID 8. once you are done hit OK then close the client in your taskbar.

now go into folder labeled 2 and start up the client. this time its "-gpu 2" and ID 6. now hit ok and close the client.

repeat with folder labeled 1 but with "-gpu 1" and ID 4 then hit OK and close the client.

now on the last one. all you need to do is add "-gpu 0" into the additional parameters and you don't need to touch the machine ID. and of course, hit OK and close the client.

now if you have multiple rigs also with multi gpu.. i like to copy the whole folder that includes the 4x sub folders onto my flash drive. now i can just drag and drop the whole thing onto any rig and just start them up without having to go through the whole set up process again. it makes multi-gpu folding much easier to deal with.

i hope this guide has been helpful and makes multi-gpu folding less daunting than it is.

Fold On!

*NOTE: you can run the clients from anywhere you like on your computer it does not have to go back into Program Files.

CUDART.dll: Attachment 79825

now if i've missed something or you are confused about something, tell me and i'll try my best to explain it.

EDIT:

Naf's Quad Multi-GPU2 Folder!

just remember to change your username.

* This Worklog post was generated using WorklogCreator - Version: 1.0.0.7
* Free Download: http://www.mod2software.com/worklogc...logcreator.zip
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
anybody else think this is useful?
No.
rep+ for trying anyway.

· OG OC
2,214 Posts
Quote:

anybody else think this is useful?
Yes, it's exactly what I did instead of going through all the elaborate setups and folders. I actually have my clients right on the desktop, so it's even easier. Nice work. Where were you 6 months ago when I was figuring all this out on my own?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
I vote for it to be added to the Essentials thread.

Paging Mr. Gibson

Seconded.

• Rep+
Reactions: nafljhy

· Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterboy View Post
Yes, it's exactly what I did instead of going through all the elaborate setups and folders. I actually have my clients right on the desktop, so it's even easier. Nice work. Where were you 6 months ago when I was figuring all this out on my own?

Seconded.
i think 6 months ago, i was in the same position as you.

thats true. you can leave it on the desktop too.
i usually just make a shortcut for that folder. he desktop seems to be much simpler. good thinking! +

EDIT: added a note saying that you can actually run GPU2 from anywhere you'd like.

· Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Works well. Thanks!

Although in Win7 it wouldn't let me move it to the Program folder. No biggie sitting on the desktop and working fine.

· Premium Member
12,860 Posts
Quote:

Paging Mr. Gibson

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonnova74 View Post
Very nice guide, added to the Essentials Thread. rep+

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules View Post
No.
rep+ for trying anyway.
Let me guess...it will make it easier for others to catch you

· Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
Works well. Thanks!

Although in Win7 it wouldn't let me move it to the Program folder. No biggie sitting on the desktop and working fine.

huh... thats weird... win7 let me move it to program folder... but i'm glad its working on your desktop! fold on brotha!

Quote:

Let me guess...it will make it easier for others to catch you

i never thought about that! it would make it easier for others to catch up huh?
what have i done?

· OG OC
2,214 Posts
Quote:

i never thought about that! it would make it easier for others to catch up huh?
what have i done?

You've helped people help the cause...that's what it's really all about.

Now I've got to find a way to squeeze a few more points out of somewhere...

· Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: i have just uploaded my quad multi-gpu2 folder for those who have more than 2x clients.

you can dl either folder even if you have only 1x client. just don't use the extra clients or you can just delete the extra folders you don't need.

fold on!

EDIT: should i add to the guide how to change user names for those that are using the dl'd gpu2 folders?

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.