Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overview

Following my previous guide found here, I now decided to write up another one.

It's just a basic guide on choosing the right TIM for your CPU.
Any suggestions or inputs will be appreciated.

TIM (Thermal Interface Material)

So we all know TIM is the key element to achieving perfect temps.
I have listed various TIM's that will help you achieve lower temps than stock generic TIM.

Different Types of Substances

Aluminum Oxide - Aluminum Oxide is considered to be the best substance used for TIM. It presumed the highest quality since it has no curing time and has a high thermal conductivity. The materiel is easy to apply and spreads out easily.

Polysynthetic Silver - This type of materiel used is very electrically conductive, meaning it might cause harm to your hardware if you happen to spill some. Polysynthetic Silver almost always comes with a cure time and can range from 10minutes to 200hours.

Silicon Oxide Grease - Silicon Oxide Grease is considerably low quality TIM, it is usually made out of the stock generic TIM. However, there are some top quality brands made out of this substance, like TX2. This type of TIM can sometimes come with a cure time but usually not. This type of materiel also thermal conductive meaning the heat transfers well.

Now onto the TIM

Aluminum Oxide
  • IC7 - In my opinion, one of the best TIM out there. This stuff is amazing, there is no cure time and works instantly, I've seen quite a few people getting lower temps switching from AS5 to IC7. Highly recommend this TIM. IC Diamond is composed mostly of diamond powder (92%), and as such is quite thick. This high viscosity is by design for increased reliability and it is what makes it application procedure different. Lord Xeb has released a guide on applying IC7 and can be found here
  • Shin-Etsu X23 - My personal favorite, although its rare, this TIM is amazing, like the previous TIM I listed, there is no cure time and the stuff spreads like peanut butter. It's thermal conductivity is 6.0 W/m K, much more conductive than your average TIM including IC7 !
  • OCZ Freeze - I think we all know what this TIM is? This stuff is amazing, I have it running on my E6300 and it dropped my temps by 8C switching from the generic TIM intel has provided with. There is no cure time so, it instantly starts working. Highly recommend this TIM.
  • Artic Cooling MX-2 - Also very good TIM, MX2 has no cure time so it also starts working when you apply it. I've heard many great things about this TIM and many people some to get great results from using this TIM.
  • Shin-Etsu G751 - This TIM is very similar to the X23, it's very thermal conductive and I've seen great results using them. However, X23 has proved to be a little better. But, I still recommend this TIM as Shin-Etsu is top quality.
  • Matrix II - A new TIM on the market, recently an OCN member (spaceballsrules) reviewed this TIM. Apparently, the Matrix II has no cure time and beats the MX-2 in temps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
    View Post

I just received a sample tube of the new paste that Arctic Silver will be putting on the market soon. It was developed by TIM Consultants, who make TC Grease 0098. This is the next evolution of 0098, and according to David Dalesandro at TIM Consultants, performs 44% better than 0098.

Arctic Cooling MX-2: 33*C idle/ 45*C load

Matrix II: 31*C idle/ 44*C load
  • Gelid GC Xtreme - Currently outperforms OCZ Freeze by 4C on load. You can find a review on the new TIM here. As for the TIM itself, it is very thermal conductive and has no electrical conductivity. There is also no curing time meaning it works right when you apply it.
  • Artic MX-3 - As an upgraded version of the award-winning ARCTIC MX-2, the performance of the ARCTIC MX-3. This new compound is composed of carbon microparticles which lead to an extremely high thermal conductivity â€" 8.2 W/mK. The TIM is non-electrical conductive and has a high thermal conductivity, the TIM also has no cure time.
Polysynthetic Silver
  • Artic Silver 5 - We all know what this TIM is. AS5 used to and still is the most commonly used TIM for the average computer user. This TIM kept my temperatures at a very nice point. However, the TIM is very hard to apply and can be result to spreading over your hardware. The downside to this is that AS5 is electrically conductive meaning your hardware can be damaged if the TIM comes in contact. It also has a cure time, which can range from 10hours to 200hours. It took me 3 days before I started to notice temperature drops. This TIM is good but not the best, I still recommend this TIM if you are wanting to try it.
There are more Polysynthetic TIM's like AS3 or AS2 but I will not be mentioning them as they are not popular to the average consumer.

Silicon Oxide Grease
  • Tuniq TX-2 - This is considerably the most popular TIM made by this time of substance. The TIM is easy to apply and has a high thermal conductivity meaning heat transfer well with this TIM. There is also no cure time meaning the the compound works right after applying it. This TIM also has no electrical conductivity therefore you should have no worries about damaging your hardware. I highly recommend this TIM to anyone in the market looking for good TIM
  • Thermalright - Chill Factor - This TIM is not very common amongst people but it is great! The TIM spreads really easily and has no cure time. Its very to clean after and the stuff is very thermal conductive. I recommend this to anyone in the market looking to try a new TIM.
  • Tuniq TX-3 - Tuniq TX-3 - Brand new TIM on the market, like its brother. The TX-3 has no cure time and is very thermal conductive. It's non sticky and spreads easily, Tuniq TX-3 is said to preform better than both Thermalright Chill Factor & TX-2 so I would highly recommend this TIM to anyone.
  • Scythe Thermal Elixir - The TIM is very thermal conductive and has no curing time. The TIM also has no electrical conductivity which prevents damaging hardware. A review of the TIM shows that it outperforms MX-2 and AS5. There review can found here. Also, a comparison between a couple TIM's.
Materiel used to remove TIM
  • ArctiClean - This materiel perfect for removing the TIM off your CPU & Heatsink, it works instantly dissolving the TIM leaving room for another TIM.
  • Tuniq T1-R - Just like ArctiClean, very easy to apply. The TIM dissolves very quickly making TIM removal much easier.
  • However, if you do not want to purchase the ArtiClean, you can simply use Isopropyl Alcohol commonly known as Rubbing Alcohol to remove the TIM, make sure you use a napkin or cotton swabs.
Best way to apply TIM

NOTE
Before you apply TIM, it is always best to put your TIM in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes, that way. The TIM spreads out more easily resulting in better application.

Method of applying TIM
  • Apply a rice size dot of TIM onto your CPU.
  • As for quad's, there is also another method you can use. This you would have to apply a thin line of TIM accross the center of the CPU.

Heres a quote from benchmarkreviews on the TIM applications.

Quote:

CPU Cooling products which operate below the ambient room temperature (some Peltier and Thermo-electric coolers for example) should not use silicon-based materials because condensation may occur and accelerate compound separation.
All "white" style TIM's exhibit compound breakdown over time due to their thin viscosity and ceramic base (usually beryllium oxide, aluminum nitride and oxide, zinc oxide, and silicon dioxide). These interface materials should not be used from older "stale" stock without first mixing the material very well.
Thicker carbon and metal-based TIM's may benefit from several thermal cycles to establish a "cure" period which allows expanding and contracting surfaces to smooth out any inconsistencies and further level the material.

HDT Coolers

As for HDT Coolers, heres the best method of apply TIM.
The method can be found here.

End

That concludes the TIM's that I personally thing are good, these are just my personal preferences. If anyone has anymore suggestions to add, feel free. Rep+ to all that help.

In case you need to see any reviews, heres a comparison of all the TIMS.

EDIT:
I will be adding pictures and more specific info tomorrow morning

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
nice guide

i'm using the tuniq tx-3 it's a great tim. no cure time, non sticky (like a bubblegum soaked in powder to me) and easy to spread and performs way better than the thermalright chill factor.

thermalright chill factor max core temp 59c at 3.7ghz, 1.46v
tuniq tx-3 max core temp 58c at 3.8ghz 1.52v

ambients are both 32c.

if time permits, i can downclock my cpu to the same setting as the chill factor with the tx-3 and bench it. i'm sure it will be around 6-8c.

and i'm very certain that i got about 2c decrease in temps after a day of stressing the chill factor so i think there's a cure time for it.

• Rep+
Reactions: nemesi5

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Although artic silver 5 isn't really the best TIM anymore, they have a great guide on how to apply thermal paste to every type of processor: link

Maybe you should try to include it

Great article btw

• Rep+
Reactions: nemesi5

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
You will have to add Matrix II to that list. I am getting a sneak preview of it from a friend at TIM Consultants, and will compare it to my MX-2 that I am currently using when it arrives in the mail this week

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
You should add Gelid thermal compounds too. The xtreme version beats ocz freeze by at 3-4 degrees on load, and has very VERY low viscosity. GC-1 is the same as mx-2, and GC-2 is about the same as ocz freeze, and both also have low viscosity.

Also, shin-etsu isn't hard to find. Its on newegg for about 3 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=shin%20etsu

And + rep for this man. Awsome guide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
good guide
coollaboratory liquid metal Pro??? i don´t know if you can call a TIM this??

benchmark reviews said that spread the TiM is the best way to do it but with the IC7 anyone knows how to apply this TIM and someones said that you have to wait 10 mins before you put the heatsink an spread it with it
+rep

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
More info on TIM makeup would be nice. Explaining how it works maybe? You have IC7, but don't state anything about it using synthetic Diamond compounds. Otherwise nice guide.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
You do people keep leaving out CL Liquid Pro, it's bar none the best TIM.

Don't start saying bs like "OMG if it gets on your mobo it's dead". It's not that hard to apply in fact I find it easier as you just paint it on with a brush.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesi5
View Post

Overview

Following my previous guide found here, I now decided to write up another one.

It's just a basic guide on choosing the right TIM for your CPU.
Any suggestions or inputs will be appreciated.

TIM (Thermal Interface Material)

So we all know TIM is the key element to achieving perfect temps.
I have listed various TIM's that will help you achieve lower temps than stock generic TIM.

Different Types of Substances

Aluminum Oxide - Aluminum Oxide is considered to be the best substance used for TIM. It presumed the highest quality since it has no curing time and has a high thermal conductivity. The materiel is easy to apply and spreads out easily.

Polysynthetic Silver - This type of materiel used is very electrically conductive, meaning it might cause harm to your hardware if you happen to spill some. Polysynthetic Silver almost always comes with a cure time and can range from 10minutes to 200hours.

Silicon Oxide Grease - Silicon Oxide Grease is considerably low quality TIM, it is usually made out of the stock generic TIM. However, there are some top quality brands made out of this substance, like TX2. This type of TIM can sometimes come with a cure time but usually not. This type of materiel also thermal conductive meaning the heat transfers well.

Now onto the TIM

Aluminum Oxide
  • IC7 - In my opinion, one of the best TIM out there. This stuff is amazing, there is no cure time and works instantly, I've seen quite a few people getting lower temps switching from AS5 to IC7. Highly recommend this TIM.
  • Shin-Etsu X23 - My personal favorite, although its rare, this TIM is amazing, like the previous TIM I listed, there is no cure time and the stuff spreads like peanut butter. It's thermal conductivity is 6.0 W/m K, much more conductive than your average TIM including IC7 !
  • OCZ Freeze - I think we all know what this TIM is? This stuff is amazing, I have it running on my E6300 and it dropped my temps by 8C switching from the generic TIM intel has provided with. There is no cure time so, it instantly starts working. Highly recommend this TIM.
  • Artic Cooling MX-2 - Also very good TIM, MX2 has no cure time so it also starts working when you apply it. I've heard many great things about this TIM and many people some to get great results from using this TIM.
  • Shin-Etsu G751 - This TIM is very similar to the X23, it's very thermal conductive and I've seen great results using them. However, X23 has proved to be a little better. But, I still recommend this TIM as Shin-Etsu is top quality.
Polysynthetic Silver
  • Artic Silver 5 - We all know what this TIM is. AS5 used to and still is the most commonly used TIM for the average computer user. This TIM kept my temperatures at a very nice point. However, the TIM is very hard to apply and can be result to spreading over your hardware. The downside to this is that AS5 is electrically conductive meaning your hardware can be damaged if the TIM comes in contact. It also has a cure time, which can range from 10hours to 200hours. It took me 3 days before I started to notice temperature drops. This TIM is good but not the best, I still recommend this TIM if you are wanting to try it.
There are more Polysynthetic TIM's like AS3 or AS2 but I will not be mentioning them as they are not popular to the average consumer.

Silicon Oxide Grease
  • Tuniq TX-2 - This is considerably the most popular TIM made by this time of substance. The TIM is easy to apply and has a high thermal conductivity meaning heat transfer well with this TIM. There is also no cure time meaning the the compound works right after applying it. This TIM also has no electrical conductivity therefore you should have no worries about damaging your hardware. I highly recommend this TIM to anyone in the market looking for good TIM
  • Thermalright - Chill Factor - This TIM is not very common amongst people but it is great! The TIM spreads really easily and has no cure time. Its very to clean after and the stuff is very thermal conductive. I recommend this to anyone in the market looking to try a new TIM.
  • Tuniq TX-3 - A fairly new TIM out on the market as of now, I have not heard many reviews about it, but it is very similar to its little brother, the TX-2. If anyone post your results on the TIM, I would really appreciate it and rep+ you.
Materiel used to remove TIM
  • ArctiClean - This materiel perfect for removing the TIM off your CPU & Heatsink, it works instantly dissolving the TIM leaving room for another TIM.
  • However, if you do not want to purchase the ArtiClean, you can simply use Isopropyl Alcohol commonly known as Rubbing Alcohol to remove the TIM, make sure you use a napkin or cotton swabs.
Best way to apply TIM

In my opinion, the best way to apply TIM is to apply small dot in the center about a size of a rice grain. This works well for dual cores.

As for the quads, I found that the best way to apply TIM is to apply a thin line across the center of the CPU.

HDT Coolers

As for HDT Coolers, heres the best method of apply TIM.
The method can be found here

End

That concludes the TIM's that I personally thing are good, these are just my personal preferences. If anyone has anymore suggestions to add, feel free. Rep+ to all that help.

In case you need to see any reviews, heres a comparison of all the TIMS.

EDIT:
I will be adding pictures and more specific info tomorrow morning

You have some wrong information. IC7 is actually a diamond dust based TIM with Al oxide mixed in.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts