Overclock.net banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

Maybe I"m loosing my mind somewhere but I have a stupid question...

How does one get a second boinc instance on a network machine to register and track in BoincTasks?

Your guide explains how to do it on localhost, but not from a network machine.
Add new computer in boinctasks, name it, add in the port number, the GUI RPC password (which you can get from the gui rpc file in the new boinc data directory) and then type in the ip address of the machine. Should work.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

Maybe I"m loosing my mind somewhere but I have a stupid question...

How does one get a second boinc instance on a network machine to register and track in BoincTasks?

Your guide explains how to do it on localhost, but not from a network machine.
I just use the IP of the remote machine. Also be sure to setup the cc_config with this. Guess I need to add it to both parts in the guide.

Code:

Code:
<allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

I just use the IP of the remote machine. Also be sure to setup the cc_config with this. Guess I need to add it to both parts in the guide.

Code:

Code:
<allow_remote_gui_rpc>1</allow_remote_gui_rpc>
Thanks, That was it... When you first set up the bat file and run it, Boinc does not create a cc_config in the second instance working directory.

Easy resolution is to copy it AND the remote_hosts.cfg from the main Boinc working directory to your Boinc2 directory.

Then it works fine.....
thumb.gif

OH, lets not forget to restart the client once you've copied them.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoy View Post

nice, welcome.
smile.gif

does boinctasks have the capability to edit a project app_config.xml ?
Your request made me ask again and I got the change approved, so within a couple of months this will be added to the BOINC client and BoincTasks.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Quote:

how secure is this feature ?
Secure? It works VERY well with Einstein. I have three instances on two rigs that are fully loaded and ready to dump. Best way to bunker jobs I've found.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Quote:

how secure is this feature ?
I am not sure on the security of the BOINTasks cloud, but personally I'm not a fan of filling in usernames and passwords on sites without encryption. I can't speak for the back-end, and I'm sure that efmer has a secure solution, but no SSL makes it a no go for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictoc View Post

I am not sure on the security of the BOINTasks cloud, but personally I'm not a fan of filling in usernames and passwords on sites without encryption. I can't speak for the back-end, and I'm sure that efmer has a secure solution, but no SSL makes it a no go for me.
Passwords are never that secure without ssl and even with not fully.
The backend if pretty secure and the passwords are stored encrypted.
Golden rule use very long and different passwords every time you have to login somewhere.
The whole BOINC system, communication between systems isn't very secure as it is.
That said this forum used http.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efmer View Post

Your request made me ask again and I got the change approved, so within a couple of months this will be added to the BOINC client and BoincTasks.
That's cool will be a big help in managing/configuring Boinc projects.

You want another ideal that would be a great help?

A column on average WU time. all the data is there to calculate it, Would make adjusting the client one heck of a lot easier, especially to see those that are underperforming....

You could put it right between time left and deadline in the main window.

Would be the perfect most useful addition to the information you could make.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Passwords are never that secure without ssl and even with not fully.
The backend if pretty secure and the passwords are stored encrypted.
Golden rule use very long and different passwords every time you have to login somewhere.
The whole BOINC system, communication between systems isn't very secure as it is.
That said this forum used http.
I didn't intend to slight your program. I think it is a wonderful program and have been using it for years. I completely agree with your assessment of BOINC and the state of ssl in general. It was a long battle to get the login page here encrypted, and I figured that you had things up to snuff on the backend.
thumb.gif

Thanks for dropping in, and great work on BOINC Tasks.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragamemnon View Post

Right. I'll take the time to compile a post with my methodology for automating the process of spawning many BOINC instances under Linux.

Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Thanks for the script; worked very well in principle. Can easy create new instances and connect from my Mac remotely; the only issue : GPU detection seems not working well. I removed the no_gpu flag but the event logger still gives me

Sat 8 Jul 21:34:29 2017 | | GPU detection failed. error code 5632
Sat 8 Jul 21:34:29 2017 | | No usable GPUs found

System I try it right now is CentOS with one 1080 and latest 384.xx driver, the "primary" boinc is running as service; the additional instances as started as per script you shared.
Any hint ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianFAH View Post

System I try it right now is CentOS with one 1080 and latest 384.xx driver, the "primary" boinc is running as service; the additional instances as started as per script you shared.
Any hint ?
Depending on the GPU you can only run 1-4 GPU tasks at the same time. You run out of memory, or the overhead is more than you gain.
I run 3 on my 1080.
The GPU may even run 100% on 1.
You did say service, is service able to access the driver.
I run without a service on Ubuntu.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

I didn't intend to slight your program. I think it is a wonderful program and have been using it for years. I completely agree with your assessment of BOINC and the state of ssl in general. It was a long battle to get the login page here encrypted, and I figured that you had things up to snuff on the backend.
thumb.gif

Thanks for dropping in, and great work on BOINC Tasks.
biggrin.gif
I switched server and HTTPS is now implemented everywhere https://efmer.com/boinctasks-cloud/
Something to do here as well, costs nothing if you have root access to your server and have a dedicated IP.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Quote:

I switched server and HTTPS is now implemented everywhere https://efmer.com/boinctasks-cloud/
Something to do here as well, costs nothing if you have root access to your server and have a dedicated IP.
Thank you for doing that.

You state BOINC is not secure but with an unprivileged account (BOINC as a service) , hidden computers on the BOINC site, and/or in virtualbox host, wouldn't there need to be seriously malicious intent for anything to happen? It would have to be a hypervisor attack or one that uses the vulnerabilities in either the Host OS (easier on Windows) or the Virtualbox code (i.e. sharing folders that aren't shared by the person running BOINC , reading USB / external drives).

I know some projects may unwittingly get virus infections and such so that could be an attack vector. Man-in-the middle attack maybe as well.

I also noticed some people were using chmod 644 or even chown instead of 640 to install the gui_rpc_auth.cfg on Linux which suggests that read permissions by default (640) would preclude non-group users from reading the rpc password.

With remote access you are trading some security for convenience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

I know some projects may unwittingly get virus infections and such so that could be an attack vector.
Yep there is a real change of an exe that is infected.
If you give the user account that starts the BOINC client access to the BOINC folder only that may be safer.
Setting read permissions will not do much except not able the change it.
With every program you add you introduce additional problems.
The BOINC RPC is certainly not safe out of the box, you need to tunnel it in a secure connection. That is for an connection outside your local/trusted network.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Quote:

Yep there is a real change of an exe that is infected.
If you give the user account that starts the BOINC client access to the BOINC folder only that may be safer.
Setting read permissions will not do much except not able the change it.
With every program you add you introduce additional problems.
The BOINC RPC is certainly not safe out of the box, you need to tunnel it in a secure connection. That is for an connection outside your local/trusted network.
You state it is unsafe out of the box, but on the wiki it says By default, RPCs are allowed only from the same host.

Do you mean once --allow_remote_gui_rpc is enabled? Or perhaps a rogue BOINC app (or BOINC helper program) writing that flag? The wiki states remote_hosts.cfg is the other more secure way, via whitelisting.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/RpcAuth

Since you have written BoincTasks for Linux as well maybe you have some insight on the best way to secure it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Depending on the GPU you can only run 1-4 GPU tasks at the same time. You run out of memory, or the overhead is more than you gain.
I run 3 on my 1080.
The GPU may even run 100% on 1.
I still would run WU sequential but wanted more control on the upload timing.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts