Overclock.net banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

You state it is unsafe out of the box, but on the wiki it says By default, RPCs are allowed only from the same host.

Do you mean once --allow_remote_gui_rpc is enabled? Or perhaps a rogue BOINC app (or BOINC helper program) writing that flag? The wiki states remote_hosts.cfg is the other more secure way, via whitelisting.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/RpcAuth

Since you have written BoincTasks for Linux as well maybe you have some insight on the best way to secure it?
As far as I know --allow_remote_gui_rpc allows a connection from any IP.
Probably no that much an issue if you have a local network that is protected from the Internet by a Firewall.

Safer:
Using the remote_hosts.cfg, limiting the allowed connections.
Using a password.
BoincTasks is not a native Linux application but runs on a Windows emulator.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by efmer View Post

As far as I know --allow_remote_gui_rpc allows a connection from any IP.
Probably no that much an issue if you have a local network that is protected from the Internet by a Firewall.

Safer:
Using the remote_hosts.cfg, limiting the allowed connections.
Using a password.
BoincTasks is not a native Linux application but runs on a Windows emulator.
Using allow_remote_gui_rpc with no PW in the auth config file shows this message at BOINC startup

Code:

Code:
15                   7/9/2017 8:37:02 AM     Config: GUI RPC allowed from any host

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

That's cool will be a big help in managing/configuring Boinc projects.

You want another ideal that would be a great help?

A column on average WU time. all the data is there to calculate it, Would make adjusting the client one heck of a lot easier, especially to see those that are underperforming....

You could put it right between time left and deadline in the main window.

Would be the perfect most useful addition to the information you could make.
My problem is the run times of Wu can vary by a lot, on SETI I see 12 seconds -> close to one hour for the same application.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnin View Post

Using allow_remote_gui_rpc with no PW in the auth config file shows this message at BOINC startup

Code:

Code:
15                   7/9/2017 8:37:02 AM     Config: GUI RPC allowed from any host
Yep you generally want to limit that.
That said a lot work on a small network with limited danger of anyone on that network.
And assuming there is a firewall for the while network.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

My problem is the run times of Wu can vary by a lot, on SETI I see 12 seconds -> close to one hour for the same application.
Very true, I was thinking of a running average over the last five hours or so.

But most of the info displayed in Boinctasks comes from Boinc Manager doesn't it? And Boinc Manager already shows the average.

All you have to do is display it.

Displaying it would make it even more useful to the person that runs boinc to the edge of efficiency, it means we wouldn't have to switch from machine to machine to see if our work has any effect.

But it doesn't matter, BoincTasks is a great little program as it is.....

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Average task time is basically the ETA (Time Left). This is what I look for when OCing to look for improvements. It may take a bit to get the average adjusted for your computer if its the 1st time it's ran on a computer. It also gets messed up when CPU and GPU tasks are named the same. [email protected] and [email protected] come to mind where I've seen the ETA average out between CPU and GPU times.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

Average task time is basically the ETA (Time Left). This is what I look for when OCing to look for improvements. It may take a bit to get the average adjusted for your computer if its the 1st time it's ran on a computer. It also gets messed up when CPU and GPU tasks are named the same. [email protected] and [email protected] come to mind where I've seen the ETA average out between CPU and GPU times.
Just to point out one thing.

The Estimated Remaining Time column in BM functions as an ETA for WU's that are actually in active processing. With WU's that are waiting to be processed it functions as an average time. Much more important when searching out the most efficient setup.

I could care less about the ETA as you point out it can be all over the place, the non processing WU's represent the average time it takes that type of WU to complete.

Totally independent from ETA.

How do we know this to be true?

The completion times of the finished WU's almost always are different from the time listed for a non-processing WU.

The only thing that makes this fact true is the non-processing WU time is an average time independent of the ETA time of a processing WU.

Average over a set of numbers in programming is a simple function all spreadsheets and database programs have it natively. Simple to call, easy to implement.

But it doesn't matter to me. I'll eventually write my own....
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Very true, I was thinking of a running average over the last five hours or so.

But most of the info displayed in Boinctasks comes from Boinc Manager doesn't it? And Boinc Manager already shows the average.
Both get the data from the BOINC client.

BoincTasks shows the Time Left of the individual tasks and of the filtered (combined) tasks ready to start. These are already averages calculated by the BOINC client.
In extra -> BoincTasks settings -> View "Adjust time to BOINC client" adjust for the time the computer runs on average each day.

So what is missing in BoincTasks that is shown in the BOINC Manager?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

Both get the data from the BOINC client.

BoincTasks shows the Time Left of the individual tasks and of the filtered (combined) tasks ready to start. These are already averages calculated by the BOINC client.
In extra -> BoincTasks settings -> View "Adjust time to BOINC client" adjust for the time the computer runs on average each day.

So what is missing in BoincTasks that is shown in the BOINC Manager?
Personally, I use BoincTasks as a machine monitor, I know it is capable of most of the functions of Boinc Manager. But that being said I find it easier to adjust the clients from the machine they run on. My set up has all my machines run in the same room linked in network and KVM. one monitor one keyboard and mouse.

So I have it as a window to the individual clients on a single machine and seldom use it for client control. Why may you ask, because it is not as efficient as directly using the client on it's individual machine. If the machines were in distant disparate locations I would use it for remote control, but that isn't needed with my setup.

AS I said I would add a listing for what a {single} wu average run time is instead of a combined sequential wu run time listing. I have cache run times of 66 days, of course I'm running x16 on all my GPUs and x40 on two of my DP's and BoincTasks doesn't account for that so tracking average WU run times in BoincTasks is problematic {nee impossible} to say the least.

There is a bunch of functionality that could be added if one desired. The main reason I use BoincTasks is to monitor the clients from a single machine. I've only recently started using BoincTasks, but I've been running Boinc Manager for over a decade. I have a few ideas since the last Pentathlon for some added functionality, but have decided to take a stab at modifying Boinc Manager myself since it is now opensource.

It's a shame cause both programs could be so much more, and their usefulness would expand exponentially if some of the ideals of people who actually use it in production were put into production.

BoincTasks is your baby, a very nice piece of programming I would say, Something to be very proud of. And thank you for writing it and offering it up for free.

But it is just my opinion that it isn't as capable or useful as it could be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:

Personally, I use BoincTasks as a machine monitor, I know it is capable of most of the functions of Boinc Manager. But that being said I find it easier to adjust the clients from the machine they run on. My set up has all my machines run in the same room linked in network and KVM. one monitor one keyboard and mouse.
I'm hesitant to add functions that are focused on the need of one.

If you want to know how tasks performed , you can use the history.
It's possible to copy all the data to the clipboard, right mouse copy all, next past it in a spreadsheet.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

I'm hesitant to add functions that are focused on the need of one.

If you want to know how tasks performed , you can use the history.
It's possible to copy all the data to the clipboard, right mouse copy all, next past it in a spreadsheet.
Just offered a Boinc knowledgeable opinion, Great piece of software you have and I do use it.

And it isn't just one, there are many of us that run this 24/7 and have for years.

And the history function is useless for someone who crunches like I do, the first time I tried to access the history function it locked up my computer, insufficient memory to hold the history. In fact I could max out the memory on the motherboard and it still wouldn't be enough.

But that is what happens when your crunching hundreds, sometimes thousands of WU's per hour. (depending on the project)

Your program is designed to allow someone to control a few computers from one machine, it gets loaded when you add a couple of GPU's to the mix. I"m running 16 at the moment and is five fewer than I used to run. That exceeds the capacity of your history function.

Face it, there are improvements that could be made that would benefit all users. Nice program as is, but to believe that ideals for improvements are for the benefit of only one so they are not worth pursuing, is very short sighted.

Seems to me that your content with where the program is now and seem not to be able to see any room for improvement or increased functionality.

And that is your decision to make. No doubt about that,

But do everyone a favor and do not ask for opinions on the program if you have already decided that it needs no further improvement.

Just provides more impetus for another to design a better mousetrap cause this one is now developmentally stagnant.

This is my last word on the subject, like I said it is a nice program as far as it goes, but it is limited......

Thank you for your time....

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
You have to limit the history to view it when running a lot of tasks.

I can't recall a function that is in BM but not in BoincTasks. BM is the limited app.

There is zero reason to add an average column. The Time Left column is an average based on project calculated when a user 1st starts a new application and then based on history as tasks complete. Give the guy some of these so called improvements or let him be.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Quote:

You have to limit the history to view it when running a lot of tasks.

I can't recall a function that is in BM but not in BoincTasks. BM is the limited app.

There is zero reason to add an average column. The Time Left column is an average based on project calculated when a user 1st starts a new application and then based on history as tasks complete. Give the guy some of these so called improvements or let him be.
Actually if you followed the convo, I said both are limited.

I gave my opinion and stated it was just an opinion, if he doesn't like it he can stop. Your defense of him notwithstanding.

You want me to shut up, I can do that. just don't treat me like a schlep idiot who hasn't a clue.

He's the one who said he can't do an improvement for only one person, if that is all the vision he's got, then he deserves the criticism, and the ridicule.

It's just an honest opinion. Your obvious opinion is it's great. wonderful you are just as entitled as I am to express that. But claiming that the ideal of improvements are SO-CALLED?

Is revealing about you and not him.

I can shut up, and he should stop asking for opinions.

On top of that, I don't have to say another thing at all ever.

God forbid I should have an opinion that differs from others.

And if I can't, and I'm not allowed to express such, then maybe this isn't the place to be....

You tell me.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I've used BOINCTasks for years and years and can credit myself with finding a bug now and then. Not to disparage eFMer, but it is limited in some ways. I have 12 setups running on it at the moment, sometimes more.

MOST projects run rather consistently so far as time goes... give or take. SETI is one project that runs in stages so its times can vary. This information is available on the SETI website, but the short and long of it is PASS 1 looks for anything "Interesting" and it only proceeds to PASS 2,3 etc. if maybe something interesting is found.... A couple other projects have behaved that way to some extent as well.

Thing is, I use it mostly to control the setups to change projects and watch for errors that lock up the system or otherwise cause trouble. [email protected] pukes now and again and I have to restart the setup to fix it which is also done remotely.

For my LAN, it is firewalled, I blank out the GUI_RPC_auth thing and add only a couple local computers to allow control in Remote Hosts file. Haven't had a problem with this in over 5 years...

I also only keep 1 days history on each setup and have had no problems. I figure if I want to do some real in depth analysis, then I can download (or Copy/Paste) the info from the project website. And yes, I run many GPU's several of which run Milkyway tasks and spew out many hundreds of tasks per day.

Soooo, BT works fine for me... I get no useful information from BM graphs and such and don't care anyway... just weather or not a project has run out of work or screwed up somehow...

Many thanks for all the hard work to eFMer! Send him a donation sometime if you like BOINCTasks...

biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
VB transition screwed up the code tags and they looked like crap anyway. Code sections just had the plain text 'Code:' in the line above the actual code text . :rolleyes: So I changed it to PHP to give it some color.

I also added these to the guide as it helps for mass file transfer:
PHP:
<max_file_xfers_per_project>100</max_file_xfers_per_project>
<max_file_xfers>100</max_file_xfers>
Can this be moved to the Guide section as well so it doesn't get lost?

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
VB transition screwed up the code tags and they looked like crap anyway. Code sections just had the plain text 'Code:' in the line above the actual code text . :rolleyes: So I changed it to PHP to give it some color.

I also added these to the guide as it helps for mass file transfer:
PHP:
<max_file_xfers_per_project>100</max_file_xfers_per_project>
<max_file_xfers>100</max_file_xfers>
Can this be moved to the Guide section as well so it doesn't get lost?
Done :thumb:

I will also add it to the Guides and Tutorials Directory
*Edit* I am getting database errors when I try to edit that thread, but once it's resolved I'll get the link to your guide added. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Finally got around to setting this up. Nice guide!

One question, is the second client automatically started when Windows starts like the first one, or is it manually started?

Edit - "I am getting no usable GPUs found" in the second client. I copied my cc_config to the BOINC2 directory. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Finally got around to setting this up. Nice guide!

One question, is the second client automatically started when Windows starts like the first one, or is it manually started?

Edit - "I am getting no usable GPUs found" in the second client. I copied my cc_config to the BOINC2 directory. Any ideas?
I start my extra clients with a batch file.

Was the cc_config.xml file there before starting the client?

Or do you have v7.12 or newer? I had an issue as well since my GPU client is not the default installation directory. I ended up going back to v7.8.3 but the startup might be fixed with this direction here. I haven't tried it though.
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=12610&postid=87780#87780

I guess just make the command line "boinc.exe" instead of the whole C:\FILE_PATH\boinc.exe

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
No I have 7.10.2. I just copied the batch file you provided in the first post and updated the password.

But the info you provided got a work around it appears. I moved the batch file into the C:\ProgramFiles\Boinc directory and made the command line "boinc.exe" instead of the whole C:\FILE_PATH\boinc.exe and now it sees the GPU.

Just ran a MilkyWay task successfully!

Thanks this will come handy. I have a couple hundred Einsteins on one client. If I am understanding this correctly the GPU project in the pent is going to be one of 3 choices. I can be stockpiling all 3 if I want depending on the expiration dates.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
No I have 7.10.2. I just copied the batch file you provided in the first post and updated the password.

But the info you provided got a work around it appears. I moved the batch file into the C:\ProgramFiles\Boinc directory and made the command line "boinc.exe" instead of the whole C:\FILE_PATH\boinc.exe and now it sees the GPU.

Just ran a MilkyWay task successfully!

Thanks this will come handy. I have a couple hundred Einsteins on one client. If I am understanding this correctly the GPU project in the pent is going to be one of 3 choices. I can be stockpiling all 3 if I want depending on the expiration dates.
Good to hear its working now.

A GPU event would have to be the CC as the other events where GPUs could be used were already announced. Unless Javelin can be different projects each day. That'd be something.

Cross Country (5 days)
CPU or GPU project

81 - 100 of 107 Posts