Overclock.net banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts

·
Once more into the Fold
2,987 Posts
@mmonnin quick question on WUprop and multiple clients.

Are you running WUprop on each client and then modding each individual project app_config with the proper port, or are you just running WUprop on the main client and adding each port to the main app_config, if that makes sense...

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
@mmonnin quick question on WUprop and multiple clients.

Are you running WUprop on each client and then modding each individual project app_config with the proper port, or are you just running WUprop on the main client and adding each port to the main app_config, if that makes sense...
For computers where I have CPU and a GPU, which is all but one atm, I run a 2nd client with WUProp for the GPU hours. My main install BOINC directory runs the CPU apps. On the 2nd client I add in the app_config.xml file with the port #. The main install directory will use the default port 31416 and does not need an app_config to use the default port..

I do have typically like 10 BOINC directories setup on each PC for bunkering but only 2 have WUProp.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,987 Posts
Okay thanks, Im splitting up the tasks on my 1700X because the client cant seem to play nice with 3 different projects running at the same time. One project will run dry and the other will download 3 days of work because it thinks its using 16 cores, when its limited to 4...tried many different settings and configs but some projects just suck to work with.

I posted the question because my first return was invalid, but the next one worked so I guess I had it setup right.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Okay thanks, Im splitting up the tasks on my 1700X because the client cant seem to play nice with 3 different projects running at the same time. One project will run dry and the other will download 3 days of work because it thinks its using 16 cores, when its limited to 4...tried many different settings and configs but some projects just suck to work with.

I posted the question because my first return was invalid, but the next one worked so I guess I had it setup right.

Thanks again
Yeah, I never use max_concurrent as I've run into the same issue. If they are extremely long like CPDN, then I will just suspend the extra tasks and resume them once several complete. If the project has options like Primegrid I use it to see a max download on the project preferences to set a max # of threads in use. Eventually BOINC will get the CPU times close to your preferences.

Running more than one WUProp task on CPU threads can get the hosts banned though if there are more CPU tasks being used than CPU threads so be warned.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,987 Posts
CPDN is definitely the main issue, but even Kryptos I like to limit because anything past 8 threads starts to lose efficiency. I think Gerasim is the only project Im running now that has really good built in preferences like Primegrid, wish they all did.

Thanks for the heads up on WUProp bans, I always have a couple free threads and Im not running any projects where I think that could be an issue.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts